Anyone got off one cruise ship and immediately moved to a different one at same port?

Isr45

Booked a 30 day med cruise on Seabourn ending in Rome. Been meaning to try a Cunard grill suite and decided it was fate when I saw availability on the the day we leave Ovation.

We are now faced with practicalities. There are 5 ships in the Port of Rome that day ( including the ship we leave and the ship we board). 

I will look to stay on Ovation as late as possible - from cruises taken recently around 9.45 - 10am. Informed by Cunard we have priority boarding as a Q1 suite. We have lots of luggage - not possible to walk even if ship close by. Internet suggests taxis are not looking to do very short journeys.

Anyone familiar with Port of Rome?

Anyone changed ships in a different port and has tips?

Thanks for any help.

9 minutes ago, Isr45 said:

Booked a 30 day med cruise on Seabourn ending in Rome. Been meaning to try a Cunard grill suite and decided it was fate when I saw availability on the the day we leave Ovation.

We are now faced with practicalities. There are 5 ships in the Port of Rome that day ( including the ship we leave and the ship we board). 

I will look to stay on Ovation as late as possible - from cruises taken recently around 9.45 - 10am. Informed by Cunard we have priority boarding as a Q1 suite. We have lots of luggage - not possible to walk even if ship close by. Internet suggests taxis are not looking to do very short journeys.

Anyone familiar with Port of Rome?

Anyone changed ships in a different port and has tips?

Thanks for any help.

My suggestion would be turn a problem into an opportunity by booking a car/tour guide for the day.  Load the luggage in the car, enjoy a tour of Rome, have a nice authentic lunch in the city, and get dropped off for embarkation in the afternoon.  

• Like 4

I can board the ship at 12 noon and have seen Rome and surrounding area many times 😀

Just looking to get onboard as fast and efficiently as we can.

Posted (edited)

So tough it out in Civitavecchia for up to 150 minutes of your life.  I'd dump the luggage, walk to train station and take a ride on a 3rd class Italian train to get a grip on a different type of travel.

And yes, I've changed ships same day, same port.  The advice offered by Woodrowst is solid.  Just hire a car for two hours and have a place to sit.  You are 38 miles from Rome, drive in opposite direction for an hour.   Luggage is your problem.

Edited by saminina

We know the port quite well and have changed ships (although in other ports).  Since you are unlikely to know the various docking locations, in advance, it is difficult to give good advice.  The idea of hiring a car/driver for the entire day is certainly possible (we would suggest using Romecabs.com) it will also be very expensive.  If the ships would happen to be docked close to each other, we would probably just roll our luggage to the next ship (no need to do it in one trip).  Otherwise, you are correct that the taxis you find at the pier will not want to take that kind of short haul.  But money does "talk" and a driver might be helpful for 20 (or more) Euros.

Once on your cruise you might want to pay a visit to the Guest Relations folks, in Seabourn Square, and ask if they can be of some assistance.  Seabourn staff generally have a "can do" attitude and they might be able to arrange something for the transfer.  In your situation we would just be concerned with moving the luggage, after which we would leave the port for the day.  Lots of DIY options from that port be it going to Rome, Tarquinia, etc.

Hank

Thanks for commentary.

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We know the port quite well and have changed ships (although in other ports).  Since you are unlikely to know the various docking locations, in advance, it is difficult to give good advice.  The idea of hiring a car/driver for the entire day is certainly possible (we would suggest using Romecabs.com) it will also be very expensive.  If the ships would happen to be docked close to each other, we would probably just roll our luggage to the next ship (no need to do it in one trip).  Otherwise, you are correct that the taxis you find at the pier will not want to take that kind of short haul.  But money does "talk" and a driver might be helpful for 20 (or more) Euros.

Once on your cruise you might want to pay a visit to the Guest Relations folks, in Seabourn Square, and ask if they can be of some assistance.  Seabourn staff generally have a "can do" attitude and they might be able to arrange something for the transfer.  In your situation we would just be concerned with moving the luggage, after which we would leave the port for the day.  Lots of DIY options from that port be it going to Rome, Tarquinia, etc.

Hank

Without going into details, We carry far too many expensive items to dump luggage or  take our carry ons anywhere.

I was really looking for the practicality of getting from one ship to the other.

Your comment about Seabourn Square has reminded me I get free transport to and from the ship and will thus ask for it to be to the Cunard check in and just sit there for an hour and a half.

Thanks to everyone for comments.

3 minutes ago, Isr45 said:

Thanks for commentary.

Without going into details, We carry far too many expensive items to dump luggage or  take our carry ons anywhere.

I was really looking for the practicality of getting from one ship to the other.

Your comment about Seabourn Square has reminded me I get free transport to and from the ship and will thus ask for it to be to the Cunard check in and just sit there for an hour and a half.

Thanks to everyone for comments.

I do "get it" regarding carry-ons.  It is always an issue for us, since we do mostly DIY travel.  

Civitavecchia does have a port authority shuttle bus system. This operates from each ship to the port entrance holding area. Therefore you could jump on and stay on until it goes firstly to the port entrance then to your next ship. You could do a dummy run without the luggage to see if practical. Port staff on arrival will be of assistance. Although a large port there are normally 3 cruise ships on the sea facing pier and 2 on the land facing pier. We normally stay at a small hotel 100m from the port entrance and always walk to this area to pick up the shuttle to the ship. A few years ago taxis could only drop off passengers there but private transfers could go to the ship.

17 hours ago, Isr45 said:

....Your comment about Seabourn Square has reminded me I get free transport to and from the ship and will thus ask for it to be to the Cunard check in and just sit there for an hour and a half.

We have done this on a handful of occasions, most recently twice in Barbados a few months ago! We had to go 'out of the port' through immigration, and for our first ship transfer from Azamara to Windstar we sat in the covered outside waiting area with luggage for a couple of hours before checking in.

Returning from that cruise, we boarded Emerald Azzurra same day. Because that ship was closest to the cruise terminal, literally a 30 second walk, after 'exiting' through immigration I wandered over to the ship. Encountering the most pleasant Hotel Director on the dock he agreed to take on board our luggage. That left us free, and totally unhindered with luggage, to explore Bridgetown for a couple of hours before embarkation.

What you suggest will work perfectly in Civitavecchia, and you may find that Cunard (especially for QG class) will take your luggage immediately on your Seabourn drop off at the Cunard dock. Best wishes, I am sure your plan is sound.