grand suite - dinner with senior officer question

There will be a total of 8 of us traveling. Father in law will have a grand suite, the rest of us will have concierge suites.  We are trying to get everyone's schedules together so we can decide what restaurants to make dinner reservations. Was wondering if there is "usual" day for the meal with the senior officer. Maybe the second sea day or other?  I am guessing that with 8 of us it will be difficult to get specialty restaurant reservations at one table. Would it be easier for the travel agent to make the reservations or husband use the booking number for his Father since he has a grand suite?

Our first time cruising with Regent so I have been appreciating all the helpful hints on this board.

If you are invited to eat with a senior officer it will be on a day of their choosing that fits into their schedule. You will get an invite a couple of days prior to the date. It is not something you can book.

Last two past Splendor cruises in Grand Suites, we were never invited to dine with a senior officer, even though it is advertised as a perk for that category. Just was not something we would have done, regardless. 

Thanks, I was just wondering what the "usual" date was. There are 8 of us traveling and I have been delegated to answer everyone's questions since the others have never cruised before.

13 minutes ago, carolcp said:

Thanks, I was just wondering what the "usual" date was. There are 8 of us traveling and I have been delegated to answer everyone's questions since the others have never cruised before.

It all depends on the officers' schedules, the health status of the ship, etc. They will try but if there are people with a LOT of SSS nights they will get priority as will the higher suites. They may also only extend this to the people in the suite although there is a table in CR that can seat more than 8. The best you can do is wait and see if you get an invitation onboard. It will be written and be in your cabin on check-in or on your door during the cruise.

I am not wanting to dine with the officers.  I was tasked with trying to figure out what night father in law might be invited so the rest of the family will not make reservations at a specialty restaurant.  Thanks Pcardad for the information.

8 minutes ago, carolcp said:

I am not wanting to dine with the officers.  I was tasked with trying to figure out what night father in law might be invited so the rest of the family will not make reservations at a specialty restaurant.  Thanks Pcardad for the information.

Unfortunately, there is no way to determine, if or when, the invitation will arrive. If there is an invitation and it causes a conflict with the specialty restaurant, a simple conversation with the F&B Manager, the GM, etc. will result in the reservation being rescheduled for another night. 

• Like 1

My argument would then be, don’t advertise it as a perk of a certain suite, if it possibly is not going to happen. For us…no big deal. However, there could very well be some people booking these suites expecting it will happen. Another Faux Pas with Regent. 

10 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

My argument would then be, don’t advertise it as a perk of a certain suite, if it possibly is not going to happen. For us…no big deal. However, there could very well be some people booking these suites expecting it will happen. Another Faux Pas with Regent. 

Vote with your wallet...but the grass isn't any greener. I deal with them all.

• Like 2

If your father-in-law is in the Grand Suite, he will have a butler that will take care of this for you. Meet with him on the first day and he can line it all up. As for eight of you, all the specialty venues have one or more large tables. These are sometimes used to pull together big "Sharing Groups". just to get use out of them. You should have no trouble (again with the help of FiL's Butler to book these tables. I love traveling with my adult offspring and I hope your group has a great time.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Vote with your wallet...but the grass isn't any greener. I deal with them all.

Absolutely. But don’t advertise what you may not be able to provide. 

1 minute ago, Gpilon said:

Absolutely. But don’t advertise what you may not be able to provide. 

That would include any port on every itinerary though. They try to provide whatever they are offering...but are not responsible for outside pressures like weather, sickness on board, scheduling conflicts, etc. I've seen this business from many angles for many years and the cases of false advertising are few are far between. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pcardad said:

That would include any port on every itinerary though. They try to provide whatever they are offering...but are not responsible for outside pressures like weather, sickness on board, scheduling conflicts, etc. I've seen this business from many angles for many years and the cases of false advertising are few are far between. 

Here, we disagree. I respect your insight and experience. However, when booking a Grand Suite it clearly says (excuse me for not copying and pasting), dinner with a senior officer.  If they want to be truthful they should just say “perhaps a dinner with a senior officer”. There could very well be some people who book this suite “expecting” that to happen because of how they advertise it, and look forward to hearing these officer’s experiences. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

Here, we disagree. I respect your insight and experience. However, when booking a Grand Suite it clearly says (excuse me for not copying and pasting), dinner with a senior officer.  If they want to be truthful they should just say “perhaps a dinner with a senior officer”. There could very well be some people who book this suite “expecting” that to happen because of how they advertise it, and look forward to hearing these officer’s experiences. 

I understand your point. I hope they get it too....but they stopped dinner with Entertainers and senior officers a while back and then started it again (Covid, etc.) and they stop it if something is bouncing around the ship. I would guess that most guests will experience it...but it is no more guaranteed than the ports are. There is a lot more uncertainty on a cruise vs. a land vacation (Covid showed just how much) and people should remember this. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I understand your point. I hope they get it too....but they stopped dinner with Entertainers and senior officers a while back and then started it again (Covid, etc.) and they stop it if something is bouncing around the ship. I would guess that most guests will experience it...but it is no more guaranteed than the ports are. There is a lot more uncertainty on a cruise vs. a land vacation (Covid showed just how much) and people should remember this. 

I realize things have changed, and often significantly, with the impact from COVID. My point is that if Regent can not honor what they publish, then they should make amendments to their publications. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I raised issues I have with their advertising last fall for “Distinctive Suites” and was berated by someone on this forum for calling it a misrepresentation. They still haven’t changed their advertising.  

Edited by Bruce61

4 hours ago, Gpilon said:

they also say they will be docking at, for example, Athens on June1. But stuff happens and it's not false advertising if the docking does not occur. Or would you prefer it if they said "perhaps docking at Athens on june1"

So from reading the responses I am guessing the amenities list is not a list but a suggestion of perks that may or may not be available.  Being a long time cruiser I understand that seas and mechanical issues can affect the ports of call.  Everything will be a surprise if we receive it or not.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

they also say they will be docking at, for example, Athens on June1. But stuff happens and it's not false advertising if the docking does not occur. Or would you prefer it if they said "perhaps docking at Athens on june1"

I think this is a bad analogy.  It is one thing to have to skip ports due to bad weather which I cannot believe would be done without good cause, and a completely different thing to advertise something within their control and then fail to provide it. 

34 minutes ago, Bruce61 said:

I think this is a bad analogy.  It is one thing to have to skip ports due to bad weather which I cannot believe would be done without good cause, and a completely different thing to advertise something within their control and then fail to provide it. 

my point was that things beyond the company's control can happen to senior staff as well eg illness

12 hours ago, carolcp said:

There will be a total of 8 of us traveling. Father in law will have a grand suite, the rest of us will have concierge suites.  We are trying to get everyone's schedules together so we can decide what restaurants to make dinner reservations. Was wondering if there is "usual" day for the meal with the senior officer. Maybe the second sea day or other?  I am guessing that with 8 of us it will be difficult to get specialty restaurant reservations at one table. Would it be easier for the travel agent to make the reservations or husband use the booking number for his Father since he has a grand suite?

Our first time cruising with Regent so I have been appreciating all the helpful hints on this board.

Hi Carolcp,

You didn't mention which ship you will be cruising on. I just looked at the amenities  list for a Grand Suite on the Mariner, it was quite extensive. It included a VIP dinner with an officer. I also checked the Splendor and the Grandeur.Grand Suite amenities it was not listed. I have been on many different cruise lines and want to try Regent. I am not a Regent expert, my first cruise with Regent was cancelled due to the Red Sea issues. I was very disappointed but I do understand the situation. So it seems  the amenities are ship related. Newer ship, lesser amenities, older ship, more amenities. Take a look at the different amenities. It is eye opening.

Dinner with a senior officer is done through your Butler.  Let them know if this is something you are interested in doing.  Some Butlers are very proactive others not so much. 

11 hours ago, sweetgirl26 said:

Hi Carolcp,

You didn't mention which ship you will be cruising on. I just looked at the amenities  list for a Grand Suite on the Mariner, it was quite extensive. It included a VIP dinner with an officer. I also checked the Splendor and the Grandeur.Grand Suite amenities it was not listed. I have been on many different cruise lines and want to try Regent. I am not a Regent expert, my first cruise with Regent was cancelled due to the Red Sea issues. I was very disappointed but I do understand the situation. So it seems  the amenities are ship related. Newer ship, lesser amenities, older ship, more amenities. Take a look at the different amenities. It is eye opening.

Having sailed on the Splendor and the Navigator I think you get a lot more personal attention on the smaller ships especially like dinner invites from the upper level staff. Makes sense there are only so many of the officers to go around. Your chances become better with a lower passenger load. We ate with officers twice on our last Navigator cruise and no times on the Splendor with about the same number of days. We were in G suites,  Also the length of the cruise and number of high level SSS members on board may affect the scheduling as many are personal friends with some of the officers. We have found over the years that some officer tables are great fun and some are a terrible bore.

Since a member of your party is in the Grand Suit you should have no problem with eating together where you want, with a little planning. I would call Regent when the Dinning opens and have all families reservation numbers and book the nights for your group on the phone. You will probably be able to only book one night in each venue on the phone but you will know those nights you all will be together. The Butler should be able to take care of the other nights you might want. But don’t forget Compass Rose and Setti Mare, no reservations needed and the food is great. 

17 hours ago, Bruce61 said:

Exactly 

• Like 1

If a dinner with senior staff is listed as an amenity then something should be offered.

Personally, we dread that, and would turn it down if offered.

We have had dinner with the Captain on a small ship cruise line and we're happy when he left before dessert. The other 5 of us, 2 couples and a single, who had met on the ship had a great time after the Captain left.

We have had dinner with lower level crew at a small table a few times and enjoyed it.