Miami boarding time

I was wondering what time I should arrive at the cruise port in Miami for my cruise on the Sky this summer. The departure time is 5:30. My only real concern with arriving early would be to make sure we can make our dining reservations for the 3 meals we have paid for. It is a 9 day cruise, so we want to be sure we can use those reservations on certain days when we aren't too beat. Should be plan to arrive at Port before noon, or do you think if we arrive at 2 or so, that we will be able to make specialty dining reservations for the days we want?

6 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

You can select your boarding time.

But…why not book your dinners now (or as soon as you can)? 

How early can I book them? The cruise is late summer

7 minutes ago, CroozeNoob said:

How early can I book them? The cruise is late summer

120 days before sailing unless you are in a suite, the haven, or have status in which case it is sooner.

you can't select your boarding time.

you can select your check-in time.

when you check-in online, you can choose a time for in person check-in. boarding will probably begin sometime between 11 and 11:30, with haven having first dibs, followed by mobility-impaired and disabled, and the usual suspects... elite latitudes members, those who have purchased priority boarding and then guests in order of their boarding card numbers.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 10:25 AM, Distinctive-Destinations said:

You can select your boarding time.

No you can't.  You can select you CHECK IN time.  Boarding at all ports start after the Cast Guard clears teh ship for boarding.  When that is can vary dramatically based on ship arrival time, number of passengers on the ship, and how long it takes for them all to debark and the ship have a zero count.

To the OP, you shoudl easily be on board by the time of you dinner reservations.  Normally all passegers are on board about 2 hours prior to sail away,  Rnjoy yoru cruise!

• Like 1

the coast guard does not clear the ship for boarding, although the coast guard may conduct periodic inspections of ships. (passengers may be on board during these inspections.)

in addition to satisfying whatever needs or requests customs and immigration (and agriculture) may have, the cruise line must meet a "zero count" (all departing passengers accounted for and off the ship) before commencing boarding for the next cruise.

1 hour ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

No you can't.  You can select you CHECK IN time.  Boarding at all ports start after the Cast Guard clears the ship for boarding.  When that is can vary dramatically based on ship arrival time, number of passengers on the ship, and how long it takes for them all to debark and the ship have a zero count.

To the OP, you should easily be on board by the time of you dinner reservations.  Normally all passengers are on board about 2 hours prior to sail away,  Enjoy your cruise!

Actually no, the coast guard does not clear the ship for boarding. And no, the time don't vary dramatically. And no, it has nothing to do with the number of people on the ship. Normally all passengers are onboard 2 hours prior to departure so the cruise line can transmit the final manifest to Customs and Border Protection. 

On 3/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, CroozeNoob said:

Thank you all.this is very good news. So the only advantage to missing out on a few hours of Miami time, would be the "free" meals and booze I get?

Arriving later also means you'll miss out on enjoying an hour, maybe more, of sitting in uncomfortable seating in a crowd of people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Arriving later also means you'll miss out on enjoying an hour, maybe more, of sitting in uncomfortable seating in a crowd of people.

If you arrive around 11:15 or 11:30 you don’t miss but about 15 minutes on the ship and you miss 100% of the time sitting in the chairs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

If you arrive around 11:15 or 11:30 you don’t miss but about 15 minutes on the ship and you miss 100% of the time sitting in the chairs 

After 10 or so cruises, we learned that the hard way.