Trieste

gcm40

Like on an excursion?  If you have a port stop in Trieste, there will very likely be excursions to Venice. 

If debarking post-cruise, there will definitely be transfers to the Venice airport.

But it's rather simple to take the train on your own, read more about how in the Italian ports forum here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

• Thanks 1

We disembarked from Trieste a couple of years ago, right after they "banned" cruise ships in Venice and moved operations to Trieste.  We rode the train into a stop very close to Venice, which was the closest stop to the hotel we had booked without actually going into Venice.  Super easy.  Booked online pre-cruise.  We were traveling as a group of 6 adults.  I looked back at my credit card statement and the fare was $143 for all 6...MUCH less than whatever the NCL transfer cost was at the time.  Italiarail.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Take a look at Flix Bus (you'll find them online ) I've just booked a single ticket from Trieste bus station to Venice Marco Polo Airport for UK£ 11.99. I understand the bus station in Trieste is a short walk from the cruise terminal and if you want Venice  City Centre the bus also stops in town .

• Thanks 1

Take a train from Trieste to Mestre, the town on the mainland, then the 2 euro, 10 minute train ride to Santa Lucia station in Venice. 

The sight of the Grand Canal from the steps of Santa Lucia station is one of the most memorable sights in all of Italy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Take a train from Trieste to Mestre, the town on the mainland, then the 2 euro, 10 minute train ride to Santa Lucia station in Venice. 

The sight of the Grand Canal from the steps of Santa Lucia station is one of the most memorable sights in all of Italy.

Mestre is the stop that we used in trying to get to our hotel.

I've just booked the train from Mestre to Trieste for our June cruise, business class £39..89. On the way back we were hoping to do the NCL excursion to Marco Polo Airport which takes in a trip to Burano, however it seems there are no more places available at the moment.

This post is perfect timing. We just booked an NCL cruise that embarks from Rome and disembarks in Trieste. This is great info on getting into Venice. We are considering an extra night or two in Venice and take the train to Rome for our flight home (flight cost for us will be less expensive traveling to/from Rome). Anyone take the train to Rome from Venice? Any recommendations?  Thank you! 

4 hours ago, CAKEisgood said:

This post is perfect timing. We just booked an NCL cruise that embarks from Rome and disembarks in Trieste. This is great info on getting into Venice. We are considering an extra night or two in Venice and take the train to Rome for our flight home (flight cost for us will be less expensive traveling to/from Rome). Anyone take the train to Rome from Venice? Any recommendations?  Thank you! 

We have done it a couple of times.  The first time we took a train that ran straight through to Rome, with a brief station stop in Florence.  It took a bit less than four hours.  The last time we had several days to visit Italy, so we took the train first to Florence for a couple of days.  From there we took another train to Siena where we spent two fun days exploring the city.  The next train was to Civitavecchia to board a cruise.  After the cruise returned to Civitavecchia, we took the train to Rome for a few days before flying home.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, CAKEisgood said:

You can catch a train in Mestre to Rome and be there in 3 1/2 hours. The high speed train is fantastic, almost 300 km/hr (185 MPH).  https://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/venice-to-rome?gad_source=1

Lots of great train travel info here  https://www.seat61.com

Edited by pete_coach
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2024 at 7:02 PM, CAKEisgood said:

FYI - We stayed at the Courtyard Venice Airport (Marriott) since we were going to be flying out of Venice to return home.  There is a bus stop literally right outside the hotel which will take you right into Venice (cross one of the *thousand* bridges and you're there!)  Very cheap and they ran (at least at that time) about every 15 minutes.

• Thanks 1

We disembarked and stayed in Trieste a day after our cruise in April 2022. I honestly wish we had stayed longer, and if I get the chance, I want to return to Trieste as it is such an interesting fusion of traditional Italian cuisine and sensibilities with the Slavic. It is mere miles from the border of Slovenia. (It was the NCL Star’s very first cruise with passengers after Covid and was one of the best cruise experiences we’ve ever had, despite the then still iffy and irregular applications of each country’s Covid restrictions. It was totally worth the testing and hoops we had to jump through.) We were advised not to try to go into Slovenia then due to their Covid restrictions then, but we did visit Miramere Castle, the Hapsburg Summer Palace in Trieste and toured the city. I’d like to go back and visit the caves and surrounding area. Really lovely! You can see why the Hapsburgs had a summer residence there. The next day, we took the train to Venice and stayed outside Venice @ the  Crowne Plaza Venice East, which is basically adjacent to a train station, though you will not hear train noise at the hotel. We checked in, dropped off our bags and took the train (about a 20 min ride) into Venice. Pretty easy back and forth and we didn’t have to hassle with luggage in Venice. The hotel offers a free airport shuttle. BTW: I booked the hotel on my own through Expedia, but newfound friends from the cruise who booked their hotel and transfers through NCL ended up staying there as well. Loved Trieste and glad we got to see it. Happy and safe travels to you, whatever you plan. 

On 3/13/2024 at 9:10 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

That may very well be who I used...that name is very familiar. I listed Italiarail because that was who charged my CC.

Trenitalia is the official train company of Italy.
The other is a ticketing company.
The best prices for train tickets in Italy is on the official trenitalia.it site (also in English). You have to book early, 2-3 months in advance, so a trip from Trieste to Venezia S. Lucia costs 10 Euro in second class and 13 Euro in first class, per Person.

• Like 1

And when you want a special train experience in Italy, book an Executive Train Trip in a Frecciarossa High Speed Train. It's an only 10 place train carriage, with a lot of place and food service. A really special service, and from Florence or Rome to Venice also in a nice landscape.

13 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

It's an only 10 place train carriage, with a lot of place and food service. A really special service, and from Florence or Rome to Venice

Sounds like my kind of travel. Thank you for this suggestion 

On 3/15/2024 at 8:36 PM, 2readytotravel said:

We disembarked and stayed in Trieste a day after our cruise in April 2022. I honestly wish we had stayed longer, and if I get the chance, I want to return to Trieste as it is such an interesting fusion of traditional Italian cuisine and sensibilities with the Slavic

Wow! That sounds incredible and you have got me curious about Trieste. 

27 minutes ago, CAKEisgood said:

Wow! That sounds incredible and you have got me curious about Trieste. 

I spent two days there prior to a cruise last April and thought it was a great place to visit.