Journey port in Ho Chi Minh? What about Onward?

flydc

I'm on the Onward later this month around Vietnam and Thailand. Not sure what port we use in Ho Chi Minh / Saigon ? ? ? Last time we sailed there was on SilverSea about 10 years ago and we docked right in town. From what I read now, we may be docking 80 km out of town? ? ?

I see Journey was there on March 2nd. Anyone have any info as to which port they used? How far from town? 

I was hoping with a small ship we'd be right in town like SilverSea!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, flydc said:

From what I read now, we may be docking 80 km out of town

Where did you read this?

AFAIK the ship will be berthed in the city.

See https://www.whatsinport.com com/Ho-Chi-Minh-City.htm for more information.

Does your itinerary nerary refer to Phú My, or Ho Chi Minh City or both? If Phú My is not specified or included, then I think it is safe to assume the ship will be berthed in he city. 

Edited by blag
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, flydc said:

I'm on the Onward later this month around Vietnam and Thailand. Not sure what port we use in Ho Chi Minh / Saigon ? ? ? Last time we sailed there was on SilverSea about 10 years ago and we docked right in town. From what I read now, we may be docking 80 km out of town? ? ?

I see Journey was there on March 2nd. Anyone have any info as to which port they used? How far from town? 

I was hoping with a small ship we'd be right in town like SilverSea!

You'll dock in the same area as Silversea, ie right in town. 

Phil 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. 

The information I got on the port 80 kms from town was from a shore excursion company (not Azamara) - so hopefully they are wrong. I've sent them a note and asked them to confirm ship's location. 

We were on the Journey in early March. I can confirm what the others have said. You dock in the city up the river. Azamara also run a shuttle bus that takes you from the port and drops you in the city centre next to the Caravelle Hotel and Opera House - a 10-15  minute journey. From there you can explore the city on foot on your own if you're brave enough to cross the roads!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EdinburghTim said:

We were on the Journey in early March. I can confirm what the others have said. You dock in the city up the river. Azamara also run a shuttle bus that takes you from the port and drops you in the city centre next to the Caravelle Hotel and Opera House - a 10-15  minute journey. From there you can explore the city on foot on your own if you're brave enough to cross the roads!

A local told me, just walk straight towards your destination, other side of road and don’t worry about the traffic, they will go around you.  Me, I always look for an old lady and walk right next to her.  There’s a reason why she’s an old lady with that traffic. Lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 3