ATV excursions in Costa Maya and Cozumel age limits on Celebrity Equinox

Droop

The hubby and I are going on the Celebrity Equinox on Feb 8 2025 and we have a question about the ATV excursion.  I tried to book the ATV excursions for Costa Maya as well as Cozumel and they stated that there was an age limit of 65 years old.  I contacted Celebrity and asked the lady about the excursions.  I noticed that there is an age limit.  There was one conflict on the Costa Maya excursion (on the right it stated that 65 was the max and to the left it stated that the max was 60.  In all the years that we have cruised we have never seen the age limit max.  

The lady that I spoke to stated that I would have to contact the excursion people via e-mail.  She stated that if they are not able to resolve it that we would have to wait until we get on the ship (at that point I think it would be full).  😞  Has anyone run into this before?  My husband will be 68 by the time we go on this cruise.  I will be 61.  We are fully capable to drive/ride an ATV.  Times must be changing.  I'm really disappointed.  

Posted (edited)

We have been on one of the ATV rides years ago in Cozumel  and there was nothing that we noticed as well.  I've seen people that have been older than us.  I can understand the liability if there were some health issues but there are none.  I've seen the You tube videos as well and there is nothing that looked unsafe.  

Edited by Droop

Age limits are often set by excursion company and insurance provider. We had our ship excursion from Cozumel to Tulum cancelled because we're both over 70 although we'd personally have no physical issues with the excursion.

Ships aren't going to deviate from an excursion provider's policy and the excursion provider isn't going to risk losing their business if something goes wrong.  It's sad but that's just the way it is.

Until the ship excursion desk and the excursion provider actually see you they have zero idea of your physical condition and ability. 

On 3/14/2024 at 3:42 PM, Droop said:

The hubby and I are going on the Celebrity Equinox on Feb 8 2025 and we have a question about the ATV excursion.  I tried to book the ATV excursions for Costa Maya as well as Cozumel and they stated that there was an age limit of 65 years old.  I contacted Celebrity and asked the lady about the excursions.  I noticed that there is an age limit.  There was one conflict on the Costa Maya excursion (on the right it stated that 65 was the max and to the left it stated that the max was 60.  In all the years that we have cruised we have never seen the age limit max.  

The lady that I spoke to stated that I would have to contact the excursion people via e-mail.  She stated that if they are not able to resolve it that we would have to wait until we get on the ship (at that point I think it would be full).  😞  Has anyone run into this before?  My husband will be 68 by the time we go on this cruise.  I will be 61.  We are fully capable to drive/ride an ATV.  Times must be changing.  I'm really disappointed.  

There have been age limits on many excursions for a number of years and this has been discussed regularly on these boards. obviously you haven’t chosen one of these tours previously so you haven’t noticed. It is usually an insurance restriction which some people have been able to override/ignore by booking direct with vendor.

c-leg5 

Sorry for the late reply. We have been pretty busy lately.  We have been on one in Cozumel but that was a few years ago.  It was a wonderful excursion.  I think that is where we became hooked on the ATVs.  I searched the boards on these excursions in Cozumel as well as Costa Maya but was unsuccessful in finding them.  Thanks for the info on booking directly with the vendor.  My only concern is making sure that we make it back to the ship.  When we were on the ATV ride in Cozumel it was late. The captain was waiting on the boat at the Pier to take us back to the ship.  I've asked my TA about vendors that have been vetted.  

It was really frustrating to find out that a physically fit person could not book the excursion.  I understand the insurance and liability issue concerns.  It's interesting that the same vendor would book the same excursion off the ship but not on.  THAT does not make sense.