Cruising out of NYC. Staying overnight in NJ.

7 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

No interest this time in visiting NYC. Been there many times and will be there again in June. 

Plus, we don’t arrive until 5:00 pm and have to board our ship in Bayonne no later than 2:30 the next day.

9 minutes ago, Ozmodiar said:

Thanks for this, I may try this next time I sail from the MCT. Always wanted to try the ferry.

We were very pleasantly surprised at the whole process. Granted we took the ferry, both there and back to NJ, at off-peak times early on a Saturday morning so there were no crowds at all. The ferry terminals, ramps and the ferries themselves are quite flat and easy to navigate, and clearly others had the same idea as us, because there were other folks with suitcases on board as well. There are lots of Youtube videos out there on the while NY Ferry system to give you a good idea of how it all works.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Before our last trip out the the MCT, we stayed across the river in Weehawken, almost directly opposite the MCT. There are two Marriott properties in the same building, a Residence Inn and an Envue, both across the street from the huge ferry terminal, many rooms having great Manhattan skyline views. A large parking garage attached to the hotels was around ($25?) per day, far cheaper than at the MCT.  Rather than drive through the Lincoln Tunnel or cross the GW Bridge, we parked for the week at the ferry terminal and took the ferry across the Hudson. From the ferry terminal at W 40th, it was an easy 15 minute walk north up the pedestrian-only walkway to the MCT. We will do that again whenever we sail out of the MCT. The ferry system is very conducive to traveling with suitcases, getting on and off the ferry was dead easy, and as it was around 8AM on a Saturday when we did it, the ferry was pretty much empty.

Thanks for the detailed info. Since we only stay at Marriott properties (Husband'sTitanium status as a result of 39 years of Corporate travel) will look at Residence Inn. 

18 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Plus, we don’t arrive until 5:00 pm and have to board our ship in Bayonne no later than 2:30 the next day.

I was thinking you were sailing from the city itself (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) like the OP, no need to go into NYC for a Bayonne departure. 

46 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Thanks for the detailed info. Since we only stay at Marriott properties (Husband'sTitanium status as a result of 39 years of Corporate travel) will look at Residence Inn. 

I didn't even know there was a Titanium level ;o) The RI was great, no issues other than it's a hotel with in-room, rather than central, A/C. The room was huge, separate living room/kitchenette and bedroom. You can also look into the adjoining Envue, which is confusingly in the same building as the RI, on different floors. Seems a slight bit more upscale than the RI and was a bit more $$$ when we stayed at the RI.  Either hotel is great. and the huge parking garage in the same building serves both hotels and the ferry passengers.  There's even another parking garage, slightly cheaper, a block north for overflow.

1 hour ago, Ozmodiar said:

I was thinking you were sailing from the city itself (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) like the OP, no need to go into NYC for a Bayonne departure. 

Yes. And since I will be sailing out of NYC in late June, I will stay in Midtown then and be able to walk almost every where we want to go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 7:21 AM, mimi05052012 said:

We drive in from south central PA. We’ve stayed at Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ. Both have (or at least they used to have) a cruise package that included parking and transportation to/from the cruise terminal. Cost was about the same or less than parking at the pier. We’ve also stayed there and driven to pier. Easy trip. 

for our trip next week, we’re staying at Homewood Suites in East Rutherford for the first time and driving in and parking at pier. Group of 5 this time and they were one of the few hotels that had two bedroom/two bath option. Should be easy trip to pier from there also. 

We got back from cruise last week. Staying at Homewood suites worked out great for us. We had two bedroom two bathroom suite. Plenty of room for all of us. Quick walk to Panera for dinner. Gas station access without going back in highway. Less than 30 minutes drive to MCT. Will stay there again when we cruise in  September even though it’ll just be the two of us. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for staying in Secaucus/Harmon Cove area.  There is a Residence Inn, a Courtyard and an Aloft to choose from in that area.  Restaurants are in walking distance and it is an office park, so separate from the actual city of Secaucus.  Unless you are familiar with the area, I would not stay in Jersey City - I just did not feel safe, and I grew up in NJ.  

18 minutes ago, dvan68 said:

Another vote for staying in Secaucus/Harmon Cove area.  There is a Residence Inn, a Courtyard and an Aloft to choose from in that area.  Restaurants are in walking distance and it is an office park, so separate from the actual city of Secaucus.  Unless you are familiar with the area, I would not stay in Jersey City - I just did not feel safe, and I grew up in NJ.  

I think the waterfront area is very safe and a popular place in NJ (my mom and her entire extended family lived out their lives in Jersey city, but it has definitely changed for the better).