Absolutely Bad Smoking !!!!

CrusingJoe

I have to ask - what is the Princess balcony made of, that it could catch fire from a smoldering cigarette? I assumed it was steel, like the ship, but it would appear that is not so. Metal doesn't catch fire from old cigarettes. What are the X balconies manufactured from - inlcuding the new Century refit balconies?

Paint, upholstry, plastic trim...all burn.

And Sally....what :confused: ?? Smoking should be encouraged because California has a valley situation that inhibits air movement...in Ontario we have tough public smoking laws and much cleaner air, can we keep our cars??

If I were Queen, there would be no smoking in any public place, including cruise ships. Carnival once tried a smoke-free cruise ship, but I don't know if it's still in operation. Cell phones and smoking should be banned, as far as I'm concerned. Both smoke and other people's conversations are annoying.

Paint, upholstry, plastic trim...all burn.

And Sally....what :confused: ?? Smoking should be encouraged because California has a valley situation that inhibits air movement...in Ontario we have tough public smoking laws and much cleaner air, can we keep our cars??

The Princess balconies are metal. Chairs on most of them are resin. The flooring covering is akin to Tyvek.

Step out onto your balcony in the middle of the night in bare feet. There's condensation on the floor. Ditto the chairs and railing.

We did a little experiment last night. Tried to burn a resin chair, linen napkin, a piece of carpet, hand towel,some 100 year old oak flooring and a used kleenex. We used two different brands (two different manufacturers) of cigarettes. The only item which did burn through was the kleenex, but it did not flame, nor was there sufficient heat to burn through the napkin below it.

Whatever caused the fire was of very intense, prolonged heat. In looking at the damaged area, it seems to very much resemble the size of a "building block" which is how the ships are built. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn it was electrical in nature.

And of course, the bit about the cigarette on the balcony is bunk anyway.

There is no official cause of the fire.

On another note, the Asian Rim has one of the highest smoking rates in the world, yet their deaths per thousand from lung cancer are lower than those in North America.

If I were Queen, there would be no smoking in any public place, including cruise ships. Carnival once tried a smoke-free cruise ship, but I don't know if it's still in operation. Cell phones and smoking should be banned, as far as I'm concerned. Both smoke and other people's conversations are annoying.

I vote for Esther for Queen.....

No matter what the position is, or the opinion is, we should

IGNORE anything being said by anyone from California.

Besides, isn't California now either an independant country are part of Mexico? One or the other. Not sure, not sure they they are sure.

Why? Because it makes as much sense as most of the opinions expressed, pro and con.

No matter what the position is, or the opinion is, we should

IGNORE anything being said by anyone from California.

Besides, isn't California now either an independant country are part of Mexico? One or the other. Not sure, not sure they they are sure.

Why? Because it makes as much sense as most of the opinions expressed, pro and con.

That's ok allot of us think we should ignore anything said by anyone from Texas...My wife was born in Galveston. Jim you and I agree on most things but the same thing about Mexico can be said of Texas. Everyone is entitled to their opinion's as small and narrow minded as it may be.

To tell you the truth folks... bad things happen. I actually am feeling ok about this one because short of the heart attack and some minor injuries the human toll is zip.

Hotels experience fires and they're sometimes pretty devastating. I believe the cruise ships recognize their vulnerability and do all they can to

avoid fires.

Show up for the muster drill. Don't bring a coffee pot or any other small appliance for heaven's sake. Use extreme caution with ciggies. :p

Stay somewhat sober so others won't have to carry you to safety in the event of a drill.

Most of all enjoy your vacation and let others enjoy theirs.

:)

To tell you the truth folks... bad things happen. I actually am feeling ok about this one because short of the heart attack and some minor injuries the human toll is zip.

Hotels experience fires and they're sometimes pretty devastating. I believe the cruise ships recognize their vulnerability and do all they can to

avoid fires.

Show up for the muster drill. Don't bring a coffee pot or any other small appliance for heaven's sake. Use extreme caution with ciggies. :p

Stay somewhat sober so others won't have to carry you to safety in the event of a drill.

Most of all enjoy your vacation and let others enjoy theirs.

:)

Someone on the Princess board, who appears to be very knowledgeable on the subject, said the balconies could very well have been made of aluminum, which melts at a much lower burn point, and would account for how much of the balconies were destroyed. It does appear that the balconies melted, which could very well point to balconies made of something other than steel.

Please, go back, re-read my post....Tought thing about the written word it that sometimes the "humor is lost" in transcribing. I had not intention of belittleing the people of California. Heck, they do that enough on the evening news and the Oscars!

Purely intended to lighten up the conversation, no offense meant, pls take no offense.

Unless the balconies were made of slivers of magnesium I cannot believe that a cigarette could have led to a fire of this extent. No matter what the ignition source most of the materials on the outside of the staterooms will not burn or spread flame. Did somebody drop a thermite cigarette? Steel and aluminum don't catch on fire. They melt when exposed to fire (heat) but won't stay ignited if the source is taken away in most contexts.

The bigger question that I have is what exactly were the fire sprinklers doing during this fire. With a functional fire sprinkler system the fire should not spread but would be contained to the original area of combustion, unless there are highly flammable fuels available. So it might torch one stateroom but shouldn't spread to adjacent areas

Why no sprinklers? I don't believe I've ever seen sprinklers or fire detectors on the outside of a ship. Yes, they are all over in the cabins and public rooms, but I've never seen one on the balconies. So, if the fire did start outside of the cabins on the balcony, there wouldn't be an alarm or sprinklers.

I do not remember there being any sprinklers on the M class balconies for instance either but I was thinking of in the rooms. Passengers have said that when they were allowed back into the staterooms the rooms were pretty well gutted in some cases. Again, there really aren't any fuel sources on the balconies. If the fire was going from room to room by way of the balconies or interior walls then that never should have happened. The fire should have been stopped at the first balcony by the inside sprinklers.

Just my thoughts

Please, go back, re-read my post....Tought thing about the written word it that sometimes the "humor is lost" in transcribing. I had not intention of belittleing the people of California. Heck, they do that enough on the evening news and the Oscars!

Purely intended to lighten up the conversation, no offense meant, pls take no offense.

Humor/sarcism doesn't come accross clearly, sometimes you don't know if people are serious or not. At least I am not from California :) be well no offense taken.

Here's a thought. Maybe we really don't need each ship to have a bajillion bacony cabins. Maybe it's not good to have them if this is going to be an ongoing danger. Are we going to start seeing more of this? To this point I don't remember a ship burning this extensively.

The Princess balconies are metal. Chairs on most of them are resin. The flooring covering is akin to Tyvek.

Step out onto your balcony in the middle of the night in bare feet. There's condensation on the floor. Ditto the chairs and railing.

We did a little experiment last night. Tried to burn a resin chair, linen napkin, a piece of carpet, hand towel,some 100 year old oak flooring and a used kleenex. We used two different brands (two different manufacturers) of cigarettes. The only item which did burn through was the kleenex, but it did not flame, nor was there sufficient heat to burn through the napkin below it.

Whatever caused the fire was of very intense, prolonged heat. In looking at the damaged area, it seems to very much resemble the size of a "building block" which is how the ships are built. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn it was electrical in nature.

And of course, the bit about the cigarette on the balcony is bunk anyway.

There is no official cause of the fire.

On another note, the Asian Rim has one of the highest smoking rates in the world, yet their deaths per thousand from lung cancer are lower than those in North America.

You might want to repeat your experiment with the cigarette trapped in a corner of metal covered with about twelve to 15 coats of oil based paint (Yep, they are ALWAYS paintin on the ship, and they use oil based for the exterior). And while you are at it, use a hair dryer to simulate the (at least) 25 knot wind (those ships don't stand still).

THEN, I'll nominate you for Underwriters Laboratories person of the year.

Sorry, but this simply isn't true. I have published extensively on this subject, and the deaths from lung cancer (and other smd) in China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia are all higher than US. (apologies for really being off topic)

I have a question. If we avoid everything in life that is potentially bad for us, what's left? According to my nightly news: The air outside is polluted with car emissions and all sorts of gases, meat is pumped full of chemicals and hormones, fruits and vegetables are sprayed with chemicals and left outside exposed to toxins and acid rain, the ozone layer is evaporating, bottled water is no better for me than tap water even though tap water has all sorts of hormones and drug residues in it because our society is overmedicated and filtration systems aren't built to filter these out, the fish in the ocean are also polluted and slowly dying off, excercise will help me live longer unless I'm one of the thousands of people who are just born with "bad wiring" and drop dead of a heart attack anyway, processed food is bad but if I want to afford organic food then I have to work more, but working a lot is bad for my stress levels, which could kill me. But I shouldn't be scared, because then I might start having panic attacks and that's really bad for my body. :eek:

And as for the annoyance factor, stick me in a room with smokers and cell phones and walkie talkies and kick all the I-know-everything, holier-than-thou people off the boat. Please!

I have a question. If we avoid everything in life that is potentially bad for us, what's left? According to my nightly news: The air outside is polluted with car emissions and all sorts of gases, meat is pumped full of chemicals and hormones, fruits and vegetables are sprayed with chemicals and left outside exposed to toxins and acid rain, the ozone layer is evaporating, bottled water is no better for me than tap water even though tap water has all sorts of hormones and drug residues in it because our society is overmedicated and filtration systems aren't built to filter these out, the fish in the ocean are also polluted and slowly dying off, excercise will help me live longer unless I'm one of the thousands of people who are just born with "bad wiring" and drop dead of a heart attack anyway, processed food is bad but if I want to afford organic food then I have to work more, but working a lot is bad for my stress levels, which could kill me. But I shouldn't be scared, because then I might start having panic attacks and that's really bad for my body. :eek:

And as for the annoyance factor, stick me in a room with smokers and cell phones and walkie talkies and kick all the I-know-everything, holier-than-thou people off the boat. Please!

Well said!!!! NMNIta

Archived