Vista hdmi port on cabin tv? Anyone tried it

Sirlancelot

I wondered if anyone had hooked up An iPhone or ipad  to the cabin tv with an hdmi cable ( im thinking look at photos watch prime video or whatever like I do in a hotel on land ) did it work ?

I remember on Insignia, the open HDMI port was locked meaning you couldn't use their remote to switch to it but I found a way to get around that.  I don't know what they have on VISTA.  I'll figure it out when I get on VISTA in the future.

Is there still a streaming package option on top of the Simply More free internet?  Is Starlink on Vista now and how is the speed?  I don't watch streaming anyways but I do download videos and watch it on a storage device.

We found the WIFI worked fine for our email, etc.  The streaming package is available but all it does is allow you to watch "streaming" channels such as You Tube.  It does nothing for the speed or connectivity of the WIFI.  You best bet is to download the content prior to boarding.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We got the streaming package on Insignia.

It worked fine for YoutubeTV on our tablet (watching NFL games) but we had to use a VPN to get around the geographical restrictions.

Edited by nuevowavo
  • Thanks 1

Back to the question that was asked about the HDMI port on the TV (not about streaming)...I had no success on a recent cruise on Marina.  I travel prepared with my own small universal remote so that I can change the input source on hotel TVs when the supplied remote doesn't have the option.  Although my universal remote could operate the Samsung TV, it would not change the source.  So I looked on the back of the TV to get the model number and then found a PDF of the manual.  It is a special hospitality model TV that runs its own operating system that displays all the Oceania menus (there is no external box); it is the TV itself doing the O GUI.  In this mode, the source inputs are locked out.  I found the remote control codes to take it out of this special hospitality mode and put the TV into normal mode, so that I could plug something into the HDMI port.  However, I was reluctant to do it fearing I might not be able to get it back to the mode that runs the Oceania menus and info.  BTW, the supplied remote control did not have one of the special buttons needed to enter this remote control code.

So bottom line, if Vista is similar to Marina, it may be possible to use the HDMI ports, but it will take some work, knowledge, and probably your own universal remote control.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am now on vista and all you say applies here. There is an amazing selection of current eg Oppenheimer and classic eg gone with the wind movies and the tv is fine. Thanks for posting all the investigative outcomes!! Loved it. Very helpful 👍

Edited by Sirlancelot

My old phone had an IR blaster and I just use a remote app and that worked for me on Insignia.  My new phone doesn't have an IR blaster but you can purchase one that attaches to your phone. 

On 3/18/2024 at 9:47 PM, Torquer said:

Back to the question that was asked about the HDMI port on the TV (not about streaming)...I had no success on a recent cruise on Marina.  I travel prepared with my own small universal remote so that I can change the input source on hotel TVs when the supplied remote doesn't have the option.  Although my universal remote could operate the Samsung TV, it would not change the source.  So I looked on the back of the TV to get the model number and then found a PDF of the manual.  It is a special hospitality model TV that runs its own operating system that displays all the Oceania menus (there is no external box); it is the TV itself doing the O GUI.  In this mode, the source inputs are locked out.  I found the remote control codes to take it out of this special hospitality mode and put the TV into normal mode, so that I could plug something into the HDMI port.  However, I was reluctant to do it fearing I might not be able to get it back to the mode that runs the Oceania menus and info.  BTW, the supplied remote control did not have one of the special buttons needed to enter this remote control code.

So bottom line, if Vista is similar to Marina, it may be possible to use the HDMI ports, but it will take some work, knowledge, and probably your own universal remote control.

Dang…..you could probably also figure out these new light switch panels in our suite! lol…..I am being sill of course and sincerely applaud all of you able to do all of these things!  Hubby and I are still trying to figure out how to lower the lights in the living room of the cabin without also turning out the bedroom lights! lol….

and don’t get me started about the new phones! lol…..

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Oh and what about the deadly blue light on the ceiling outside the bathroom. The Tje green lighted button by the bedstand takes care if that we learned after 3 days! Still don’t know how people get that “ home “ red light outside the door in the hallway to light 

Edited by Sirlancelot
Typo
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:49 PM, Sirlancelot said:

Oh and what about the deadly blue light on the ceiling outside the bathroom. The Tje green lighted button by the bedstand takes care if that we learned after 3 days! Still don’t know how people get that “ home “ red light outside the door in the hallway to light 

Yes, finally asked stateroom attendant at end if my 16 night cruise. "Home" light comes on when you put your key card in the slot adjacent to the little alert panel (do not disturb, please make up room indicator). When you take the card out of the slot it takes up to a minute before the home light goes off.

• Haha 1