Full face snorkel mask

3 of us are sailing in November & like snorkelling. We have 2 masks & snorkels. Dd is contemplating buying a full face mask, but I’ve read there are islands that don’t allow/recommend them. 
We’ll be on the Reflection in November visiting Ocean Cay which is likely the only place we’d use it.  
Thoughts? Opinions? 

Many do not recommend them. The possibility for CO2 buildup is too high. People don't use them correctly and have problems.

I know these are the current "fad", but I, personally, would not get one for my kids/grands. Suggest DD practice with a "regular" mask/snorkel. It could even be done in the tub to become comfortable breathing out of your mouth instead of your nose. Practice a little every day and before your cruise she will be a champ!

Posted (edited)

There are several issues with full face snorkel masks:

First, they don't allow for equalizing the ears using the valsalva technique (pinching your nose, and blowing out to "pop" the ears).  As that is the easiest method for most people, and particularly those who'd be likely to use such a mask, that precludes diving down.  Of course I know most user of these masks say they never wanted to dive down in the first place.

The bigger issue is safety.  There have been an inordinate number of deaths by persons using this type of mask.  The circumstances preclude a definitive answer, but the most plausible theory is the large volume of the mask, combined with the snorkel placement results in the mask acting as a chamber for exhaled air.  This prevents good exchange between exhaled air and new air.  The result is a build up of carbon dioxide.  Strangely enough, the brain's signal to breathe is not the lack of oxygen, but the presence of carbon dioxide.  Therefore as carbon dioxide builds up, the person reflexively begins hyperventilating.  In short order, this leads to unconsciousness.  Needless to say, being unconscious in water is no good.  This problem is alleviated in the good brands (Head and Tribord are two) by dividing the mask chamber with a system of compartments and valves.  Even in this system, proper maintenance is required to keep the valves functioning properly.  The bigger problem are the cheaper "knock-off" masks, where the entire mask is simply one large chamber, with the snorkel opening near the forehead. 

I've heard people say that "if that happened, I'd just take the mask off".  Alas, this shows a woeful misunderstanding of the physiologic process at play. 

In summary, I wouldn't base the decision on what the policy of the cruise line or the destination is.  Perhaps you could look at your husband's life insurance policy to guide your thinking.  🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are PADI certified advanced diving certified. There is no way I would wear a full face mask. I have problems clearing my ears & always need to press on my nose to equalize. So no way I would wear a full face mask. We also do a lot of snorkeling.

• Like 1

Sigh...   this has been hashed and rehashed for years. 

-My wife has been using a full face mask (FFM) since the came out 10 years ago.

-They work well for people who have trouble holding a snorkel in their mouth and don't dive under water.

-Back in the day I thoroughly researched the safety of full faced masks and posted it here a few years ago. They aren't inherently unsafe.

-I see a helluva lot of FFMs being used these days.

-Except for certain circumstances such as noted, they aren't banned anywhere that I'm aware of at least in the Carribbean.