Power strips

reaperman1

Our first MSC cruise is coming upon us in early April.  We have cruised most lines in the past without any issues with travel power strips.  I recently read some cruise lines have confiscated some power strips even tho they were not surge protected.  Will this be an issue on the Divina?  I’m not looking to cause any issues, rather planning ahead to make sure any power strip I bring along will be suitable for MSC.  TIA

1 hour ago, reaperman1 said:

Our first MSC cruise is coming upon us in early April.  We have cruised most lines in the past without any issues with travel power strips.  I recently read some cruise lines have confiscated some power strips even tho they were not surge protected.  Will this be an issue on the Divina?  I’m not looking to cause any issues, rather planning ahead to make sure any power strip I bring along will be suitable for MSC.  TIA

It seems to be hit or miss whether they confiscate them or not with MSC. I take a 4 port USB hub and have never had any issue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mmbcater said:

Typically no they will not. Just make sure it does NOT have a surge protector.

Ship wiring is different than US home wiring. A home surge protector when overloaded on a ship will not stop the flow of electricity as both the “live” and “neutral” wires carry current on a cruise ship and your home surge protector only breaks the circuit on the “live” electrical wire.

My power strip was confiscated when boarding MSC Seaside at Port Canaveral last year. It was returned by my room stewardess on the final night of the cruise. But this was the first time that MSC or any cruise line had taken the power strip. Now I just bring a multi-plug to expand one outlet into three which is plenty.

We cruise a lot with MSC and they never confiscated our european power strip. As a family of 4 we have to use one, otherwise it's not possible with 4 phones, 3 watches usw.

I would say it is a bit hit and miss.  I have several power strips that are NOT surge protected especially for this reason.  Out of 3 MSC's sailings out of Miami twice I was fine and on 1 they confiscated one of 3, but not the other 2.  I am not sure if it's an issue with security staff not properly identifying the strips or just lack of training.  All 3 were in the same bag too.  I'm back on MSC this fall and again out of Miami.  I am buying straight extension cords for this sailing.

This makes me one question....

AFAIK, there are

- two American plugs

- two European plugs

- two USB plugs 

in each cabin

if someone buys two converters (just for cruise), he will have four plus.

Converters will not be confiscated

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, alserrod said:

This makes me one question....

AFAIK, there are

- two American plugs

- two European plugs

- two USB plugs 

in each cabin

if someone buys two converters (just for cruise), he will have four plus.

Converters will not be confiscated

I use converters that also provide additional outlets, so I use two EU adaptors that convert each EU outlet into two US outlets and 2 USB ports. Then I still have the ship's US outlets to plug things into normally as well. I have never had my adaptors confiscated and I have brought them with me on 22 cruises, including 5 MSC cruises. 

Edited by JamieLogical