Escape - Starlink

well, if they are reporting it in another forum, then it could well be true. you're apparently a member of that forum and read and/or post there, so you should be able to judge the value of comments there. apparently, nobody here has any firsthand knowledge. many people onboard don't check cruise critic during their sailings, so they might not see your request till they get back.

but whether starlink has been installed on the escape won't make much difference, based on many reports from other NCL ships. recent guests are reporting speeds of about 1.5 mbps on NCL ships with starlink for the standard internet, slightly faster for the premium internet. most of the bandwidth seems to be reserved for the ship's crew and internal business use. reliability and availability and capacity of the service (number of users) may be improved with starlink, but the speed is about the same.

• Like 1

All I can add to this thread is that since Princess went "full Starlink" on all ships that *most* people have had very good things to saay.  Of course, it was to the point where *almost* anything would have been an improvement! 

There are still those who come on CC to rag on it and say "it's not very good...I could not stream my movie while the wife was talking via wifi calling and I was dong my Zoom meeting at the same time!"

by most accounts, the speed on princess is indeed very good.

but that cruise line apparently has gone in a very different direction than NCL. princess has chosen to pass on the starlink service to its customers pretty much in unadulterated form. so passengers are getting very speedy internet (for a cruise ship).

NCL has chosen to throttle the service for its guests and is only providing throughput of about 1.5 mbps, which is what they were providing with the old service. NCL guests have not seen much difference so far with the launch of starlink on its ships.

it's possible that NCL is planning to launch a higher tier service (and charge for it) or is planning to offer a higher tier service for high ranking latitudes members, in which case, speeds may improve, for some. again, all of this is conjecture. all i know, as somebody who recently experienced starlink on the getaway, is that the speeds are the same as they always were.

• Like 1