Where to stay pre Newcastle departure

Hi

Just booked our first Fred cruise. We sail from Newcastle and as we live in Suffolk feel it will be less stressful if we travel up the day before although I'll have to work so it'll be bed time when we arrive. I've searched the board and not been able to find any suggestions of where might be good/convenient. Don't know what our boarding time is yet so would consider staying a little way out as we will have time to kill in the morning before we can board. Any suggestions of ways to productively use embarkation day morning gratefully received 

Thanks in advance

Wendy

46 minutes ago, wenlyn said:

Hi

Just booked our first Fred cruise. We sail from Newcastle and as we live in Suffolk feel it will be less stressful if we travel up the day before although I'll have to work so it'll be bed time when we arrive. I've searched the board and not been able to find any suggestions of where might be good/convenient. Don't know what our boarding time is yet so would consider staying a little way out as we will have time to kill in the morning before we can board. Any suggestions of ways to productively use embarkation day morning gratefully received 

Thanks in advance

Wendy

We stayed in the Premier Inn, ate in the Royal Quays pub next door in the evening, had a late breakfast the next day and then wandered around the Newcastle Quays retail Park before checking in. It worked for us.

• Like 1

Are you travelling by car or train?

You can always stay in Newcastle itself and just  drive out,  (or if on train) take a taxi, to the port on the day.

There is a Premier Inn situated a 5 minute walk from the FO check-in terminal. We are sailing from Newcastle in September and have just booked our room for the night before our cruise - £92 including breakfast. It is free cancellation up to the day of arrival. The address is Coble Dean Road, South Shields.

Last time in July 2022,  we checked out of the hotel at 10.00 on the morning of the cruise, left our cases in reception and drove in to Tynemouth where we spent a pleasant hour and then drove up the coast to Whitley Bay where we spent another pleasant hour with a coffee and cake on the sea shore before heading back to the port.

We collected our luggage and drove it to the terminal before parking back at the Premier Inn and then walking back to do our check in. 
 I can’t remember if we paid for parking at the hotel during our cruise but, if we did, it was a lot cheaper than the official Port parking.

• Like 2

As above there is the Premier Inn right at the dock which is handy.

We have also stayed in the Village Hotel which is about a 10 minute drive away. It’s a very large hotel with lots of rooms so usually competitive prices, often less than the Premier Inn. Quite a modern place and this is reflected in the food which tends to be more grazing than a meal.

• Like 1

We also stayed at Premier Inn by the dock a 3 weeks ago, we also booked parking at Premier Inn through parkingspace.co.uk which was good (and much, much cheaper than through FOCL). We did plan to go into Newcastle, but were quite tired by the time we got there (travelling from west Wales), so just had an early meal and retired to our room! 

• 3 weeks later...

If you find the Premier Inn near the terminal is fully booked there is a Premier Inn about 4 miles away at Whitley Bay, right on the seafront (lots of grass) right next to the Spanish Village. I stayed there a few years ago and had a pleasant walk along the prom after breakfast before travelling to the ship. Look out for the Vera locations as well. I have booked for 11/12 June before boarding Balmoral for a cruise to Svalbard & Norway, my first Fred cruise.I am looking forward to lots of whale watching.

• Like 2