Sail from Amsterdam, The Netherlands Times Are Subject To Canal Transit

2 hours ago, tc-cruise said:

Just saw that on my booking. What does that mean? The departure time is 5PM. I try to squeeze more time in Amsterdam sight seeing.

Have a look at Google maps. To reach the North Sea from Amsterdam, you must exit through a lock at IJmuiden. Tides, weather and marine traffic can affect the transit times. 

Until you receive your Boarding Pass Package shortly before embarkation, your departure time may change - so flexibility in your shore plans is important. If you are not doing so, you may want to arrive earlier in Amsterdam and avoid feeling rushed - the city is well worth it. 

Enjoy your cruise. 🍺🥌

Too bad I already booked non-changeable flight. Assuming it's still 5PM departure, what is the latest time I should arrive at the terminal? 

Also can I find historical data of actual departing time? 

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Have a look at Google maps. To reach the North Sea from Amsterdam, you must exit through a lock at IJmuiden. Tides, weather and marine traffic can affect the transit times. 

Until you receive your Boarding Pass Package shortly before embarkation, your departure time may change - so flexibility in your shore plans is important. If you are not doing so, you may want to arrive earlier in Amsterdam and avoid feeling rushed - the city is well worth it. 

Enjoy your cruise. 🍺🥌

Do the departures from Rotterdam have to go through the IJmuiden locks?  Or is it just departures from Amsterdam?  Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Holly g said:

Do the departures from Rotterdam have to go through the IJmuiden locks?  Or is it just departures from Amsterdam?  Thanks.

No. Rotterdam is over 60km south, with it's own access to the sea. 🍺🥌

image.png.5c6bbf968fd64f92c67e0ebc1fb7bed1.png

6 hours ago, tc-cruise said:

Too bad I already booked non-changeable flight. Assuming it's still 5PM departure, what is the latest time I should arrive at the terminal? 

Also can I find historical data of actual departing time? 

You need to be on board 90 minutes before departure.

Once you are close to the cruise, the departure time will be set as they will know about the tides, etc.

14 hours ago, kazu said:

You need to be on board 90 minutes before departure.

Once you are close to the cruise, the departure time will be set as they will know about the tides, etc.

I saw HAL website says: Boarding begins at 12:00 pm. All guests must be checked in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

Now that's a big difference between "on board' vs "checked in". How long does it take from arrival at check in counter or terminal entrance to physically "on board" assuming everything is checked in online?

18 minutes ago, tc-cruise said:

I saw HAL website says: Boarding begins at 12:00 pm. All guests must be checked in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

Now that's a big difference between "on board' vs "checked in". How long does it take from arrival at check in counter or terminal entrance to physically "on board" assuming everything is checked in online?

First  of all you MUST be checked in online.  the ship has to log in the passengers with customs and immigration in advance.

If you are coming late (as it sounds like you will be), check in will be quick.  Once you ar checked in you will be fine  they know you will be on board.   but just don’t push it.  the 90 minutes is a serious deadline for a reason.  You don’t  want to miss the sailaway 🙂 

In October of 2022 we had an embarkation port change two months before sailing. The embarkation port moved to Rotterdam from Amsterdam. The reason is the lock of IJmuiden. Water level was too low and the lock drastically reduced the number of ships that could enter. Lots of scrambling to make changes. Some passengers changed their hotel to Rotterdam. We kept our rental in Amsterdam the 3 days prior and secured transportation to Rotterdam the morning of the cruise. Just goes to show, anything can happen.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:38 PM, SUESEABE said:

In October of 2022 we had an embarkation port change two months before sailing. The embarkation port moved to Rotterdam from Amsterdam. The reason is the lock of IJmuiden. Water level was too low and the lock drastically reduced the number of ships that could enter. Lots of scrambling to make changes. Some passengers changed their hotel to Rotterdam. We kept our rental in Amsterdam the 3 days prior and secured transportation to Rotterdam the morning of the cruise. Just goes to show, anything can happen.

thank you for sharing! Need to keep everything flexible.

• Like 1