Alaskan Cruise on Norwegian

Condor_Christi

In October of this year, I'm going to be sailing solo on the Norwegian Bliss up to Glacier Bay NP.  As luck would have it, I will have some family on board (totally by accident). The thing is though that they are finally taking their honeymoon after being married for two years and I really don't want to be a third wheel. I don't really even know them all that well (we saw each other at Christmases, funerals, weddings, etc...). 

Anyway, I'm widowed and will be cruising for the first time by myself.  I was wondering if there are any programs on Norwegian (I have only sailed Royal) such as morning Tai Chi or that sort of experience; something to break the monotony of just sitting in my interior room waiting for the next feeding period.  If that makes any sense.  I would imagine at night, you can find things to do but what I was looking for was stuff scheduled by the cruise line that you could take part in if you want. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Condor_Christi said:

In October of this year, I'm going to be sailing solo on the Norwegian Bliss up to Glacier Bay NP. 

Hi C_C! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Your questions mostly pertain only to NCL so I would direct you to that 'board' for better success. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

But even as a HAL-fan, I must say -- do not stay in your cabin on an Alaska cruise! I don't know the ship, but there must be SOMEWHERE where you can see the sea (watching for whales) or the shore (watching for all manner of wildlife including bald eagles as numerous as seagulls!).

Edited by crystalspin

Condor Christi,

Most NCL ships have a solos meeting every night so solos can go to dinner together.  They often team up for other things too like trivia, going to shows and shore excursions.  All the solo meets I have been to were very welcoming.

Also most NCL ships have some sort of morning exercise program.

Don't sit in your room, especially in Alaska.  I just checked the deck plan for Bliss and it has a glass walled Horizon Lounge on the Deck 17.  Take a book, sit there and watch the beautiful scenery go by.

Go to the Roll Call for your cruise and get to know some of the people on your cruise and if they form a Meet & Mingle that is a good place to find information about the ship and some of your fellow cruisers,

• 2 weeks later...

The Bliss is a very large ship, and by the 'shoulder season' October there will be staterooms not booked.  You might begin to consider and even budget for a stateroom upgrade to a Oceanview room, or even to a Balcony.  You might enjoy being to look out to the sea, or watching the Bliss enter or depart a port.

Do plan to dress for the cooler, and probably wet weather.  Many store now have end of the season sales, so this would be a great time to buy a fleece jacket or vest (assuming you don't already have fleece outerwear).

• Like 1