Delayed final payment when booking onboard

longterm

5 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We did just that on a previous cruise!!  Both of us with Viking jackets.  Better than losing it

I wasn't really interested in a Viking jacket, so I just asked Guest Services to add my unused OBC to gratuities.  I figured the crew could use the gratuities more than I would ever use a jacket!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Negative experience with the onboard cruise consultant on my most recent trip.

I'll put it to you this way, I see no point in booking onboard since all they do is point and tell the same itineraries anybody can access on Viking.com (or whatever the site actually is). The limited OBC or instant monies off is not enough to move me.

Sorry to hear that you have a negative experience.  Our experiences have always been good with the onboard consultant.

Viking offer so few financial incentives that the extra ones to book onboard are all it does take for us to wait for the opportunity to do so.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2024 at 8:09 AM, FetaCheese said:

IMG_20240323_145912165.thumb.jpg.5b0e3f10682eda6f4f0c9ebe9e7e51e3.jpgHere it is, not specific with discounts.  Does not specify PIF dates by region.  Also not sure onboard rep will give current promo codes. 

When calling in to Viking sales agents, customer must provide promo code.  Was told phone reps not allowed to tell customers of available codes.

In my opinion, I think V wants you to make appointment with onboard rep, so a sales presentation can be made.

OK, this sheet says they give you $100 per person onboard credit for each cruise booked. So you book a cruise with $25 deposit. You get $200 to offset drinks and gratuities on current cruise, and you “buy” that with a $50 deposit? Too good to be true. This offer must have been available only for future cruises with a higher required (non-refundable) deposit?

1 hour ago, kahuna21 said:

OK, this sheet says they give you $100 per person onboard credit for each cruise booked. So you book a cruise with $25 deposit. You get $200 to offset drinks and gratuities on current cruise, and you “buy” that with a $50 deposit? Too good to be true. This offer must have been available only for future cruises with a higher required (non-refundable) deposit?

It’s both true and good - assuming the new trip is under the $25 deposit offer (many are). For example, in Dec/23 we booked onboard for an Antarctic trip. $25 pp deposit, $100 pp OBC. 

in theory, you are liable for $100 pp if you cancel (std. terms), which would neutralize the gain, but it’s not likely worth Viking’s time to chase you for the delta if that happens. In reality, most people who book onboard intend to do the trip versus clipping a few bucks, and a live booking is always better than a “maybe later” one to the cruise line.🍺🥌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

It’s both true and good - assuming the new trip is under the $25 deposit offer (many are). For example, in Dec/23 we booked onboard for an Antarctic trip. $25 pp deposit, $100 pp OBC. 

in theory, you are liable for $100 pp if you cancel (std. terms), which would neutralize the gain, but it’s not likely worth Viking’s time to chase you for the delta if that happens. In reality, most people who book onboard intend to do the trip versus clipping a few bucks, and a live booking is always better than a “maybe later” one to the cruise line.🍺🥌

In my knowledge, Viking do not chase you for the full $100 per person, but you are liable based on the ticket contract.  

You never have to cancel Viking anyway before the final payment date, you can just move the reservation and deposit to another sailing and you even keep the same booking number.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kahuna21 said:

Too good to be true. This offer must have been available only for future cruises with a higher required (non-refundable) deposit?

Nope... good on any cruise, even the $25 deposits....

Obviously Viking know that people maintain these bookings or they would not offer something like this.

I only wish that you could book onboard a River Cruise.  Maybe not a full-time Crew Member, but one of the Guest Services that supports onboard bookings.

• Like 1

I booked my second Viking cruise, but did not know at the time about the deferred final payment.  When I found out about, I asked to have it deferred and was told "Once you agree to the terms.....that's it"

Learned from that mistake, so while doing booking #3 I made sure they understood I wanted the deferred final...no problem, easily done.  

Indeed, if you don't ask....and even worse....if you don't know.  

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I booked my second Viking cruise, but did not know at the time about the deferred final payment.  When I found out about, I asked to have it deferred and was told "Once you agree to the terms.....that's it"

Learned from that mistake, so while doing booking #3 I made sure they understood I wanted the deferred final...no problem, easily done.  

Indeed, if you don't ask....and even worse....if you don't know.  

This is a case of call back until you get someone that is "playing nice in the sandbox".

We have booked many cruises that we forgot to question the payment terms and then called back and Viking immediately changed our payment date.

Viking's issue of late is that the shore based services are not as up to par as the onboard crew and service.

We have found that one Viking Rep says NO and the next says YES.  

I would call complete BS on what you were told.  Viking need to be better at these things.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

This is a case of call back until you get someone that is "playing nice in the sandbox".

We have booked many cruises that we forgot to question the payment terms and then called back and Viking immediately changed our payment date.

Viking's issue of late is that the shore based services are not as up to par as the onboard crew and service.

We have found that one Viking Rep says NO and the next says YES.  

I would call complete BS on what you were told.  Viking need to be better at these things.

Agree...though at this point for me...it's live and learn.   They got me just once...but never  again.  😉