Travel WiFi routers…?

29 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

ok. and...

Exactly my thought when you just confirmed what I already said in the first place. 

So if you do bring one on and use it, will it work throughout the whole ship or only in your cabin?

I would think it would have a very limited range.

1 minute ago, nydney1 said:

So if you do bring one on and use it, will it work throughout the whole ship or only in your cabin?

Just like your WiFi router at home. It’s not going to work a block away. I have heard of some people powering one with a battery pack and just keeping it in their book bag or something as they walk around the ship, but that’s a bit excessive. In my case with two small children, it allows me to plug a USB drive into it with movies and other video content on it that can be accessed by any device on our private WiFi network. This keeps them occupied while in the room and keeps arguments about what one or the other wants to watch to a minimum. 

This isn’t a tech forum, though, which is why I only asked how the policy has been enforced for those who use a similar product. Trying not to get bogged down in other details. 

21 minutes ago, nydney1 said:

Since pretty much everything on a cruise ship is made of metal, they have extremely limited range.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I brought and used a Mango travel router on my last three cruises, December (Pride) January (Jubilee), March (Liberty). No issues, but I doubt they noticed it was there. Mine worked about two decks and three cabins away, but crazily all the way to Fat Tuesdays in Cozumel from my Cabin on the ship. I did not know Carnival even had a policy on them, but we love it. Allows the entire family internet access when in the room. Also has a built in Firewall for protection. 

Edited by AllgoodOnTheRoad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AllgoodOnTheRoad said:

I brought and used a Mango travel router on my last three cruises, December (Pride) January (Jubilee), March (Liberty). No issues, but I doubt they noticed it was there. 

Thank you for some on the ground (or in the water? 😂) information!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back from our cruise on the Mardi Gras. Not a word was said about the travel router. It worked exactly as intended. And for what it’s worth, with the premium plan we made FaceTime calls back home with little issue.

This is the equipment I used: https://a.co/d/9WWe5ip

Use this information as you would like and at your own risk (of people like some in this thread ridiculing you for it). 😏

• Like 4