Room assignment and paid upgrades

Posted (edited)

We embark on a 28 day cruise out of FLL in 13 days.  As I always do, we book a guaranteed  interior room and roll the dice, hoping for a paid upgrade.  It has worked well over 90% of the HAL cruises we’ve been on.  

Looks like the dice went against us this time.  I’ve been calling the paid upgrade number (888 628-8107) daily for the past two weeks…..and had no luck. I’ve received no emails offering one, but experience has taught me that it’s worth it to call.

The last time I called (yesterday, Friday), we were told that the ship is 100% balanced and there will most likely not be any option to get a paid upgrade.  We can live with that.  We will still be on a cruise :).

My question: If that is in fact true, why don’t we have a room assignment yet ?  The optimist in me is hoping that they are still offering some upgrades.  

Is my logic incorrect ?  

Edited by Gunther1

6 minutes ago, retird said:

If its the NA leaving on Apr 6, there are still high end cabins available so if ov, veranda move up, it might create a domino effect

It’s the Eurodam on Apr 6

8 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

It’s the Eurodam on Apr 6

The 28 days involves two cruises. A 7 and a 21 day.   It is only the 7 day that is fully sold.  The 21 day still has lots of ov and Balcony cabins available.   Did you book it as B to B.  If so did you ask for a paid upgrade for the second leg.   Currently it is not available for booking as one 28 day cruise.   That is quite common with HAL.   I currently have a 25 day one booked that was earlier sold as a 39 day.   The first 14 days sold, but the 25 day still has cabins.  I had a guarantee and was assigned 20 days out and got an upgrade three days later.  So there is always hope

The ship being full doesn't determine when Gty assignments are made. HAL has a schedule to "finalize" a sailing. Gty assignments start after upsells have ended, about 15 days from sailing. They also have the new "standby" program to do as well. Gtys are assignfrom about 15 days prior, to at the pier. Average seems to be around 8-10 days out.

8 minutes ago, retird said:

The 28 days involves two cruises. A 7 and a 21 day.   It is only the 7 day that is fully sold.  The 21 day still has lots of ov and Balcony cabins available.   Did you book it as B to B.  If so did you ask for a paid upgrade for the second leg.   Currently it is not available for booking as one 28 day cruise.   That is quite common with HAL.   I currently have a 25 day one booked that was earlier sold as a 39 day.   The first 14 days sold, but the 25 day still has cabins.  I had a guarantee and was assigned 20 days out and got an upgrade three days later.  So there is always hope

We booked it as one 28 day cruise…….