Just booked Tampa to New Orleans to Costa Maya on Celebrity Constellation

tbmrt

Never cruised to New Orleans before...Arriving at 9:30 AM...Best side of ship for viewing New Orleans from ship as we approach the city? Any info appreciated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tbmrt said:

Best side of ship for viewing New Orleans from ship as we approach the city? Any info appreciated.

Technically the starboard side will be the best when arriving. The ship may or may not dock on that side though. Honestly its incredibly dull sailing up the Mississippi until you are right on the city which will be a very short stint before docking. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

You probably want to check this out.

My husband is the historian who wrote and submitted this to Cruise Critic in 2019. The original thread describes the voyage from New Orleans to the Gulf, but if you skip to post #11 you will see the commentary for sailing upriver from the Gulf to New Orleans. He has updated his commentary, with photos, and if there is any interest I can share that as well.

• Like 2

@tbmrt I didn't notice what time of year you will be sailing, but as it takes several hours for a ship to make its way upriver from the Gulf to New Orleans, a large portion of your journey will likely be before day break, which will limit what you may be able to see. But some of the larger landmarks, like the Pilot Station and pilot boats will be well-lit. My husband wrote the original narrative that Saint Greg referred to in his post. It describes the views from the cruise ship in 2019, and he has an updated version, with photos, that I can send you if you're interested. 

12 hours ago, flagmom said:

@tbmrt I didn't notice what time of year you will be sailing, but as it takes several hours for a ship to make its way upriver from the Gulf to New Orleans, a large portion of your journey will likely be before day break, which will limit what you may be able to see. But some of the larger landmarks, like the Pilot Station and pilot boats will be well-lit. My husband wrote the original narrative that Saint Greg referred to in his post. It describes the views from the cruise ship in 2019, and he has an updated version, with photos, that I can send you if you're interested. 

Would love that flagmom!  Thanks so much