NCL Encore - Military tribute?

Posted (edited)

Dang...you guys sound old.

Still got my hair, albeit it's gone from brown to grey.  While not near my fighting weight, I like to believe I'm just a bigger version of my 19 year old love machine self.

My only request...if you want to thank me for anything, don't foist your "thanks" upon me.  Now, if you want to buy me drinks, that's an entirely different "thing".  I'll take them.

GI Bill.....it paid for my tuition, books, housing.  If I were an 18 year old today, and wanting to go to college, I'd enlist.  You get tuition, books, housing, and while your compatriots are coming out with a mountain of debt, you'd be getting a degree for free.

Edited by graphicguy

3 hours ago, BandAgain said:

Please reconsider this...while some want to "feel good", I think most who show gratitude are genuinely thankful.

You’ve been heard.  Consider your bountiful thanks recorded and totally fulfilled.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I might add that I wholeheartedly agree about the "Thank you for your service" thing. It all rings hollow with me, since I remember the days of walking around the DC area in the early 70's with my military hair when civilians all had long hair and being swore at, given the finger, etc. My friends and I were called "baby killers", even though none of us ever picked up a weapon after basic training, nor even set foot in 'Nam. Funny how attitudes magically change over the year from "Go to hell" to "Thank you for your service."

Whenever someone says to me "Thank you for your service" I say to myself "Where were you in the 70's??"...silently nod, and leave it at that. If that takes away from someone else's "joy", so be it. 

That truly was a horrible way to treat our service people - doing their duty, as proscribed by the government.

Times have, indeed, changed.

Also, though that was Vietnam - which sums up the public sentiments of many in one word.