NCL Encore - Military tribute?

My husband is an Air Force retiree and I’m an Army veteran so we both enjoy attending these receptions and have attended about seven of these since March 2023. 

While several have been uneventful and short as described, my favorite was on the Spirit in September where we each took less than a minute each  to introduce ourselves with our branch and years of service. Several of us realized we may have served together and it prompted follow up conversations for the rest of the cruise. It made it more personal and special. That one lasted about 45 minutes or so. 

NCL - if you are reading, please allow each service member to introduce themselves at these receptions.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sorry, im a died in the wool anti-socialite, i dont want to introduce myself to anyone. i dont  mind attending these cocktail parties, as ncl has gone out of their way to do something nice and acknowledge veterans.

that being said , however, when they have a latitudes cocktail party, there is almost always a limited turnout.

as ive previously posted, dont thank me  for my service, i was drafted in 1968

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Here is my report of the Veterans "tribute" from my trip report on the Jade from last month. If you miss it, you won't be missing much...

Attended the official Veteran's reception in the Spinnaker. Every seat was taken in anticipation of a memorable event. In a word it was...disappointing. They played the National Anthem, asked who in the crowd was in the Army, Navy, etc., brought up a few senior crew members...and then adjourned the event. Ten minutes later. Seriously. Seriously disappointing. NCL does a great job of recognizing Veterans with the discount, medals, pins, etc., so it was surprising how this event went down.

That is disappointing.  We have been to 3 of them.  The Prima in 2023 was one of the first ones when they started the military program.  There were only about 10 veterans in attendance and they announced each person and we got a picture.  It was really cool how they did it and it lasted about 45 minutes.  Some vets were able to talk about their experiences.

On the Joy there were a lot more.  They did the National Anthem, group pictures, someone cut the cake and even had the military spouses for a group picture.  

On the Epic in December there were so many they had to split the group pictures up.  National Anthem, recognized each branch, cake and pictures.  

We will be on the Escape this coming week and I will be interested in seeing what they do.  

For some people it may not seem like a lot but I am very proud that NCL has stepped up with honoring the Veterans with not only 10% off but also doing something special while on the ship.  

Edited by ShannonSC2
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, ShannonSC2 said:

That is disappointing.  We have been to 3 of them.  The Prima in 2023 was one of the first ones when they started the military program.  There were only about 10 veterans in attendance and they announced each person and we got a picture.  It was really cool how they did it and it lasted about 45 minutes.  Some vets were able to talk about their experiences.

On the Joy there were a lot more.  They did the National Anthem, group pictures, someone cut the cake and even had the military spouses for a group picture.  

On the Epic in December there were so many they had to split the group pictures up.  National Anthem, recognized each branch, cake and pictures.  

We will be on the Escape this coming week and I will be interested in seeing what they do.  

For some people it may not seem like a lot but I am very proud that NCL has stepped up with honoring the Veterans with not only 10% off but also doing something special while on the ship.  

Come back and let us know how it is on Escape.

Sailed Escape in 2018, before the military program, and it's a great ship!

Have a great cruise!!

29 minutes ago, electro said:

are these events invitation only?

On embarkation day, we found a yellow envelope marked "For Your Eyes Only" with a folder, patch, challenge coin and pin inside, on a separate an invitation to attend gathering. You have to be registered with NCL for Military Appreciation Program.

Posted (edited)

The spread of responses is interesting.  Said it before, this Veterans recognition seems to be a recent phenomena over the last couple of years.

These "thanks" that are offered seem to ebb and flow over time.  The general sentiment now seems to be one of appreciation.  Give it time and that will indeed change.  Those of us who served a long time ago have seen this. The thanks come and go.

I've said it before.  It was a line item on my resume.....a means to an end and my service met the objective (got a free college education out of it).  It was a job.  The big difference, I couldn't quit it when I became unhappy with it....LOL!  

Some here were drafted.  I came after that.  I enlisted (which I was derided for quite a bit, mostly by Veterans who thought I was an idiot to enlist).  

I'd say most of those I have met at these Meet and Greets enlisted.  We CHOSE to enlist.  We did it because we wanted to.  We weren't FORCED to serve.  Want to thank someone?  Thank those who didn't have a choice but to enlist.

Personally, I don't require nor seek any sort of thanks.  I'm always a little uneasy when thanks are offered by people I don't even know when they find out I'm a Vet.

I do enjoy belonging to my local Veterans Organizations, but that's only because those who are members are also neighbors, and a fair number of us served at the same time, if not together.

Is it nice that NCL gives us a discount?  Absolutely.  I'll take a discount anywhere I can find it.  The Meet and Greet?  Those I attended with, seem to be nice people.  Not much for the long winded monologs some insist on giving, however.  It was a different time, a different age, I was a way different person back then.  I will only share that with whom I'm the closest to...not strangers.

But, I'll take the discount and be on my way.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, destar said:

On embarkation day, we found a yellow envelope marked "For Your Eyes Only" with a folder, patch, challenge coin and pin inside, on a separate an invitation to attend gathering. You have to be registered with NCL for Military Appreciation Program.

Unfortunately, the Military Appreciation Program is not available to Canadian military.

16 minutes ago, BandAgain said:

Voluntarily or not...you DID serve. Please do not discount your service. As much as it may offend you, I salute you & thank you for your service. 

I don't think any of us discount our service.  Why do people get so upset when we tell them no thanks are required or needed?  We're not offended.  We just find it a little unnerving when complete strangers want to thank us for doing our job (which in essence, is what it was).

1 minute ago, BandAgain said:

Complete strangers are those whose safety, rights & freedoms are protected by service members. They do not owe thanks but many who care are thankful & are comfortable expressing their gratitude.

Even though, as a complete stranger you insist on approaching and thanking me for a job I had 35+ years ago?  Please don't.   It makes me uncomfortable.

• Like 2

Just now, BandAgain said:

Say thank you, I would rather not talk about that & walk away. Don't steal another's joy in expressing their gratitude. 

OK......good advice!

Far be it from me to "steal" your "joy"!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don't think any of us discount our service.  Why do people get so upset when we tell them no thanks are required or needed?  We're not offended.  We just find it a little unnerving when complete strangers want to thank us for doing our job (which in essence, is what it was).

I might add that I wholeheartedly agree about the "Thank you for your service" thing. It all rings hollow with me, since I remember the days of walking around the DC area in the early 70's with my military hair when civilians all had long hair and being swore at, given the finger, etc. My friends and I were called "baby killers", even though none of us ever picked up a weapon after basic training, nor even set foot in 'Nam. Funny how attitudes magically change over the year from "Go to hell" to "Thank you for your service."

Whenever someone says to me "Thank you for your service" I say to myself "Where were you in the 70's??"...silently nod, and leave it at that. If that takes away from someone else's "joy", so be it. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The spread of responses is interesting.  Said it before, this Veterans recognition seems to be a recent phenomena over the last couple of years.

These "thanks" that are offered seem to ebb and flow over time.  The general sentiment now seems to be one of appreciation.  Give it time and that will indeed change.  Those of us who served a long time ago have seen this. The thanks come and go.

I've said it before.  It was a line item on my resume.....a means to an end and my service met the objective (got a free college education out of it).  It was a job.  The big difference, I couldn't quit it when I became unhappy with it....LOL!  

Some here were drafted.  I came after that.  I enlisted (which I was derided for quite a bit, mostly by Veterans who thought I was an idiot to enlist).  

I'd say most of those I have met at these Meet and Greets enlisted.  We CHOSE to enlist.  We did it because we wanted to.  We weren't FORCED to serve.  Want to thank someone?  Thank those who didn't have a choice but to enlist.

Personally, I don't require nor seek any sort of thanks.  I'm always a little uneasy when thanks are offered by people I don't even know when they find out I'm a Vet.

I do enjoy belonging to my local Veterans Organizations, but that's only because those who are members are also neighbors, and a fair number of us served at the same time, if not together.

Is it nice that NCL gives us a discount?  Absolutely.  I'll take a discount anywhere I can find it.  The Meet and Greet?  Those I attended with, seem to be nice people.  Not much for the long winded monologs some insist on giving, however.  It was a different time, a different age, I was a way different person back then.  I will only share that with whom I'm the closest to...not strangers.

But, I'll take the discount and be on my way.

I do understand your pov.

I also enlisted and also used to feel a little uncomfortable when thanked or when vets were asked to stand up and be recognized. It may be because I enlisted during peace time when so many others had seriously risked their lives.

But, I've softened a little in recent years and no longer feel uncomfortable.

My daughter is mainly the reason for this and to show me her pride, she nominated me a couple of years ago to be the Military Hero of the game at an Islander game.

I was chosen just this past year and my game was the night before Thanksgiving.

I was anxious leading up to it and nervous the night of.

It ended up being an awesome evening with the entire crowd chanting USA with me on the big screen and with my daughter doing a tribute to me, also on the big screen.

I must have had 100's of people thanking me for my service and I had several beers purchased for me by people sitting by me. 

I thought the best part was going to be that I was being given an authentic Islander jersey with my name from Butch Goring, but it ended up being my wife and daughter watching me get celebrated in front of an almost sold out crowd.

I love the discount, but I am looking forward to sailing Getaway in 22 days and attending the reception, hopefully meeting some other veterans and sharing a couple of "quick" stories.

BTW the jersey is freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I might add that I wholeheartedly agree about the "Thank you for your service" thing. It all rings hollow with me, since I remember the days of walking around the DC area in the early 70's with my military hair when civilians all had long hair and being swore at, given the finger, etc. My friends and I were called "baby killers", even though none of us ever picked up a weapon after basic training, nor even set foot in 'Nam. Funny how attitudes magically change over the year from "Go to hell" to "Thank you for your service."

Whenever someone says to me "Thank you for your service" I say to myself "Where were you in the 70's"...silently nod, and leave it at that. If that takes away from someone else's "joy", so be it. 

While I served after you, anyone who has read about that period of time knows what happened.  That's the part of "ebb and flow" of how we're perceived.  It has changed over the last couple of years.  

I like your idea of a "nod".  But, I still get a little anxious when someone I don't even know finds out I was in the service and wants to "thank" me.  I walk away thinking "you don't even know me!"  It does indeed ring hollow.

Want to thank someone?  Go to a Veterans Hospital.  Volunteer there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

I do understand your pov.

I also enlisted and also used to feel a little uncomfortable when thanked or when vets were asked to stand up and be recognized. It may be because I enlisted during peace time when so many others had seriously risked their lives.

But, I've softened a little in recent years and no longer feel uncomfortable.

My daughter is mainly the reason for this and to show me her pride, she nominated me a couple of years ago to be the Military Hero of the game at an Islander game.

I was chosen just this past year and my game was the night before Thanksgiving.

I was anxious leading up to it and nervous the night of.

It ended up being an awesome evening with the entire crowd chanting USA with me on the big screen and with my daughter doing a tribute to me, also on the big screen.

I must have had 100's of people thanking me for my service and I had several beers purchased for me by people sitting by me. 

I thought the best part was going to be that I was being given an authentic Islander jersey with my name from Butch Goring, but it ended up being my wife and daughter watching me get celebrated in front of an almost sold out crowd.

I love the discount, but I am looking forward to sailing Getaway in 22 days and attending the reception, hopefully meeting some other veterans and sharing a couple of "quick" stories.

BTW the jersey is freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great!  We agree.  

The Jersey sounds great.

My family and my friends know of my service.  They know some of the "stories".  I don't wish to share them with strangers and I don't feel comfortable when someone approaches me with "THANKS" just so they can "feel good about themselves" (which I'm trying to wrap my head around).

I'll smile and nod most of the time when approached. 

I used to attend all the Veterans functions in my community, but those functions dwindled over time.  Again, just the last couple of years, they seem to have picked up again.  Maybe I'll attend once again.  Not sure.  Doesn't really matter to me.

Appreciate the discounts.  I go to my local VFW, where vets and their wives/GFs hang out.  But, as mentioned, we're neighbors, not strangers, and have known each other for a long time.  Plus, the beer is cheap and we have a big screen TV to watch sports on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We donate to Tunnel to Towers and Wounded Warrior Project.

I had heard Wounded Warror Project (by one of my VFW buds) paid more to the administrative/administrators than they gave to any Wounded Vet.  I tend to stay away from the charities who dump a lot of money into ads to raise more money.  I always think "why not use the advertising money on the charity itself?"

Don't know if that's right or wrong.  Just a data point from one person who happened to be a wounded vet.

WOW!! guys, I didnt mean to start a tempest in a teacup. I just think it's a little weird to be thanked for something that was forced on me. While in all honesty,  i dont regret my 2 years in the service or the year i spent in Vietnam, and all the benefits i received under the G.I. bill, it's just a little strange being thanked for someting i really didnt want to do

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, complawyer said:

WOW!! guys, I didnt mean to start a tempest in a teacup. I just think it's a little weird to be thanked for something that was forced on me. While in all honesty,  i dont regret my 2 years in the service or the year i spent in Vietnam, and all the benefits i received under the G.I. bill, it's just a little strange being thanked for someting i really didnt want to do

See what you did?  Now you've gone and done it!!!!!

Speaking of the GI Bill, I know it was a while ago, but tuition has sky rocketed in recent years.  So, that benefit is worth a whole lot more than when I collected it.  

• Like 1

got a loan for our 1st house thru the G.I.bill,  and it paid for mu tuition all the way thru law school.

my point about introducing yourself at the cocktail party, since i'm 76 years old, is akin to sitting around with a bunch of old men with pot bellies, talking about their days in the "NAM"

it's been 54 years since i got out of the army, and to me it's now ancient history

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

since i'm 76 years old, is akin to sitting around with a bunch of old men with pot bellies, talking about their days in the "NAM"

it's been 54 years since i got out of the army, and to me it's now ancient history

Kind of like going to my 50th high school reunion.

Except I was the only one without a pot belly and who still had all of my own hair (with almost no gray).

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1