Any tips on cruising with toddlers?

We are traveling with our son/his girlfriend and their twin daughters this coming October on the Symphony of the Seas.  The will turn 3 on disembarkation day.   We have never traveled with toddlers before and wondering for those that have, what are your must haves to bring to keep them busy during "down times" (like dinner, shows, etc)  Do you bring your own snacks/drinks for them?  Toys?  Books?  

I'm not quite sure about the kids club for them?  I haven't really explored what available for their age group (if any).  But as of right now, I don't know if they would even go to a kids club, because they are so very shy.  

But anyhow, if you could give me any do/dont's with traveling with twin toddlers................I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

I'll be cruising with my youngest for the first time in March of 2025 - also on the Symphony. He'll be 3.5 then. Three is the cut off for the regular kids club, but they must be fully potty trained. Otherwise, the nursery is available for a fee, but that also requires advanced reservations where the regular kids club doesn't. 

There is also a small swim-diaper friendly splash pad available if they aren't potty trained. If they are, they'll have access to all the pools/splash pads (except the diapered one).

I feel like there aren't a ton of posters here with young children - you might have better luck on Facebook. I joined a couple of really great groups there and that's where I've gotten most of my information about cruising with kids.

Best idea my daughter-in-law ever had was to bring a small blow-up pool to put in the shower so my granddaughter could take her bath (she was 2 1/2 at the time). She was able to inflate it enough that it fit in the shower on Anthem (with the doors) and close the doors so she could splash and play.  Took up practically no room in a suitcase.  Highly recommend this if you have toddlers with you.  

• Like 3

There is a toddler free play area in Adventure Ocean with age appropriate toys and playsets open from around 9am-9pm.  You must supervise your child, but a great spot for them to play and be around other kids their age.

59 minutes ago, DoraDee622 said:

I feel like there aren't a ton of posters here with young children - you might have better luck on Facebook. I joined a couple of really great groups there and that's where I've gotten most of my information about cruising with kids.

That’s because most general information and advice here is shared on the family forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, pampaul said:

We are traveling with our son/his girlfriend and their twin daughters this coming October on the Symphony of the Seas.  The will turn 3 on disembarkation day.   We have never traveled with toddlers before and wondering for those that have, what are your must haves to bring to keep them busy during "down times" (like dinner, shows, etc)  Do you bring your own snacks/drinks for them?  Toys?  Books?  

I'm not quite sure about the kids club for them?  I haven't really explored what available for their age group (if any).  But as of right now, I don't know if they would even go to a kids club, because they are so very shy.  

But anyhow, if you could give me any do/dont's with traveling with twin toddlers................I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

Thoughts on cruising with toddlers: 

- Are you dead set on your dates?  I ask because the kids'll be 2 for the whole cruise, and the ship isn't one bit lenient about kids' ages.  They'll be able to go to the nursery, which costs per hour and is just day care, rather than the Ocean Adventure Kids' Club, which is free and includes planned activities.  We chose our upcoming cruise date specifically so our grandson'd be 3 before we cruise. 

- Waaay back, my shy child absolutely loved Ocean Adventure -- I have the best picture of her, age 5-6, in a little blue dress dancing with a bunch of other kids in the Kids' Club.  

- You can "check out" toys from the nursery, but I'd expect the kids would be happy to have their own snugglies for nighttime, etc.  

- Choose your ship carefully -- as someone else said, some ships have splash areas for small kids.  That's hours of fun right there.  Look into what type of playgrounds, mini-golf, etc. are available on the ships you're considering.  The kids might enjoy MUTS -- Movies Under The Stars /by the main pool.  They run a family-friendly movie around 5:00-6:00. 

- My daughter only allows my grandson to have bright red, yellow or orange swim trunks.  Harder to find, but she wants him to stand out in the pool or on the beach.  Safety first.  

- You'll see a big rack of kid-sized life vests by the main pool.  Again, safety first.  

- You'll find all the food the kids'll need onboard.  You're allowed to bring snacks back to the room, so that could include bananas, cookies, cheese and crackers.  Maybe consider bringing wrapped snacks for taking off the ship (granola bars, crackers) since hungry toddlers want to eat RIGHT NOW.  

- You should bring sippee cups for the girls, as they won't be provided.  

- Consider dinner at the buffet -- at least some nights.  Long, multi-course meals aren't so much fun for kids, and the buffet is more relaxed for them.  

- I saw a smart family boarding just ahead of us on a recent cruise:  The dad was pulling a collapsable wagon, which contained two small boys and the family's carry-on bags.  The mom walked behind carrying a baby and watching to see that the two boys remained seated.  Looked like a brilliant way to get the kids onboard, and I'm sure they wheeled that wagon right to the beach during island stops.  With almost-3 year olds, I think I'd rather have that wagon than strollers.  

- With kids, bring more of everything than you think you'll need.  You won't have access to a washing machine, so plenty of clothes.  Extra sunscreen, etc.  

- To keep kids' occupied during waiting times /at meals -- we have ready crayons /small coloring books and stickers.  Oh, he loves stickers; look up Make-a-Face Stickers on Amazon -- wonderful sit-still activity.  I have ready for him a Search-and-Find bottle full of rice and tiny plastic toys, and I have a calm-down bottle with oil/water/glitter -- those things are magical for quieting a kid.  

1 hour ago, allie3490 said:

Get ready for TONS of parenting advice from boomers you never knew you needed. I would do some of your own research rather than asking random nobodies. 

Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine!  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

Thanks Mum2Mercury for some great suggestions!   We are on Oasis in December with our 3 yr old granddaughter and her parents…her first cruise.  She just had her passport photos taken today.  Snacks and stickers are a must!  Can’t wait for this cruise!  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DoraDee622 said:

I've been there, too. It's not a very active forum at all - there are only 7 threads that have activity this month. 

OK.

I guess it isn’t particularly active because the topics are general not time sensitive or cruise line specific.

I found it useful when we took an 18 month old on a transatlantic and land travel in Europe. In general you know your child best and what items will be necessary and important. There is a limit as to what you can carry when traveling long distance. 

Edited by c-leg5

When my kids were little I stocked up on small toys throughout the year for travel.  I mostly bought clearanced stocking stuffers and easter basket items and sometimes trinkets after Valentine's day, but also found some items at the dollar store and some sets of party favors that made it worth it splitting between two kids.  I wrapped them and gave them a "present" about once an hour when confined (such as on a car or airplane) and once or twice a day when traveling by train or on a cruise.  On a train/ship I would give them a "present" at dinner to help keep them occupied and sometimes also at breakfast or lunch.  The wrapping both added to the excitement and slowed down the opening to increase the distraction.  Since I also have twins I used a sharpie to write their names and a present # on each one so I they got similar toys at the same time to cut down on fighting.   I also pulled suitable toys out of their toy bins a couple months before each trip and hid them so they were "new" again by the time they saw them on a trip.  I usually started each trip by giving my kids a small backpack (reused each trip) with a new coloring book, new crayons, a new story book or two, and one or two small toys.  

On a cruise, the same types of magnets you might occupy a child with on your fridge at home will work on the walls of the ship and help occupy them while Mom and Dad are getting ready for the day or ready for dinner.

I recommend bringing an insulated bottle or two.  Juice and milk are most easily found at breakfast so it's nice to fill up then to have throughout the day.  Similarly, bring snack containers to fill with cereal in the morning for an easy snack throughout the day. I would also bring some of their favorite snacks.  There's usually plenty to find on the ship but toddlers can be picky so having some things you know they will eat can be really helpful.  Also, most countries only allow prepackaged foods to be brought in, so it's nice to have something to take off the ship too.  You might want to pick up some shelf stable milk or juice boxes for the same reason.  

If there are books or stuffed toys they are used to at bedtime, bring them.

Buy magnets for the walls of the stateroom. There are lots of them on Amazon with cruise/sea themes.

See if Adventure Ocean has a playroom (adult attendance required).   

If you are on a ship with a carousel, take full advantage. We went on it endlessly. :classic_wink:

Enjoy.