Lectures on cruises?

gzathome

We are looking at cruises to Greenland for our next trip, and we're wondering whether Azamara offers any lectures on those trips.  I don't mean like cooking or arts and crafts or overview of tourist attractions, but something a little more nerdy, like eg deeper dives into local ecology, history, or politics, etc.  Do any of the cruises offer anything like that?

Traditionally, Azamara has been good with lecturers, and although I would expect lectures on a sailing such as this, it may be something else that is changing. 

On our 9 day in Brazil this month, zero lecturers, neither destination nor Enrichment. On the 17 day that followed it, 1 Enrichment lecturer with a few varied topics. No destination lectures whatsoever, so all for 12 ports on the 2 sailings we had no information save the printouts the day of attival that they grab from Whatsinport word for word.

• Like 3

We were just on a b2b from Perth to Tokyo on the Journey.  We had two fabulous lecturers on both cruises - destination and enrichment.  All lectures very well attended.  

• Like 3

I was on the 9 day Brazil cruise too and was surprised that there were zero lectures or port talks. This was very much needed. When disembarking at ports, I could hear passengers asking lots of questions at Concierge concerning the ports and they had no answers, other than handing them a generic info sheet.

This is one area I expected Azamara to provide and excel in.

• Like 3

Ironically the cruise before had three Antarctic speakers all covering nature topics, a 4th speaker from a different organisation who also covered nature type issues and wasn’t aware the other 3 would also be overlapping his area until he boarded and a former concord first officer. Thank goodness for the concord diversion as we were in nature overload (but all good speakers just too much natural duplication). 
We too had nothing on ports and I would have liked more on the history of the region. 
Engaging the right speakers used to be the responsibility of the cruise director - not sure if that’s the case now but whoever is doing it needs to up their thought processes re variety etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Engaging the right speakers used to be the responsibility of the cruise director - not sure if that’s the case now but whoever is doing it needs to up their thought processes re variety etc. 

I think that's one of the many things now overtaken by Miami. 

Tanya's words to us on the 17 day we are presently on was "we hope Miami sends us more lecturers."

• Like 3

Interesting that in Antarctica the onboard team were taking the credit for the selection and organisation of the enrichment. Maybe you got caught in the transition 

11 minutes ago, uktog said:

Interesting that in Antarctica the onboard team were taking the credit for the selection and organisation of the enrichment. Maybe you got caught in the transition 

Or, they were just deferring the lack of them to Miami. 

• Like 1