Is the train schedule from Rome to Civitavecchia changing?

JRos

Hi everyone,

It is many months away, but we will be needing to take an early morning train from Termini to Civitavecchia on a Tuesday this upcoming October. However, upon looking at the schedule, the earliest train will be leaving Termini at around 12:00pm. Is the schedule adjusting or is it just because it’s very far out that my options seem very limited? I would love some insight. 

Thanks!

You're looking way too far in advance.  There is always a schedule change every June, high speed trains will be loaded into the system first, followed later by regionals.

The changes are usually quite minimal, so you look at the schedule for next Tuesday you can be confident that the final schedule won't be dramatically different.

If you plan to use a regional train there is no need to purchase these tickets in advance.  If you'll be using a seat assigned train (IC or Frecce) you can save money (sometimes quite a lot) by purchasing in advance.

Do note that if you use a regional train from Termini to Civitavecchia they use the Lazio regional tracks, which are located three blocks from the main track head at Termini.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JRos said:

Hi everyone,

It is many months away, but we will be needing to take an early morning train from Termini to Civitavecchia on a Tuesday this upcoming October. However, upon looking at the schedule, the earliest train will be leaving Termini at around 12:00pm. Is the schedule adjusting or is it just because it’s very far out that my options seem very limited? I would love some insight. 

Thanks!

The train schedules are only set a certain number of months in advance. I wouldn't worry about it. The Civi train is a commuter train for locals going into Rome to work, as well as for tourists. They're going to have plenty of morning options. 

The schedule doesn't change much over time. You can put in a closer date (e.g., like in the next 3 months) to get an idea of the timings. If using the Trenitalia site, be sure you set the time for whatever hour in the morning you want to leave (if you don't it will default to whatever time it is when you're doing your search.)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The train schedules are only set a certain number of months in advance. I wouldn't worry about it. The Civi train is a commuter train for locals going into Rome to work, as well as for tourists. They're going to have plenty of morning options. 

The schedule doesn't change much over time. You can put in a closer date (e.g., like in the next 3 months) to get an idea of the timings. If using the Trenitalia site, be sure you set the time for whatever hour in the morning you want to leave (if you don't it will default to whatever time it is when you're doing your search.)

Thanks so much. I assumed it was simply cause I was looking months in advance. :)

20 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You're looking way too far in advance.  There is always a schedule change every June, high speed trains will be loaded into the system first, followed later by regionals.

The changes are usually quite minimal, so you look at the schedule for next Tuesday you can be confident that the final schedule won't be dramatically different.

If you plan to use a regional train there is no need to purchase these tickets in advance.  If you'll be using a seat assigned train (IC or Frecce) you can save money (sometimes quite a lot) by purchasing in advance.

Do note that if you use a regional train from Termini to Civitavecchia they use the Lazio regional tracks, which are located three blocks from the main track head at Termini.

Thanks so much! i will put this in my notes - about the Lazio regional tracks. 🙂 

I have been looking at the train schedule for this May.  We need to go from Rome to Assisi and it shows the times but says that it cannot be booked due possible timetable updates because of line maintenance.  Is this fairly common and anyone have any idea when when they will make the tickets available. 

Track maintenance isn't common, it happens, but not something you run into regularly.

However, if it happens while you're there and need to get someplace, it might as well happen every day.  

At any rate, almost every train between Rome and Assisi is a regional, so there's no need and no purpose in buying in advance.  The train cannot sell out, you can't get a reserved seat, and the price never changes as it does with the seat assigned trains.

You also have the option of a bus, from the Tiburtina station.  It takes only a little longer than the train and it leaves you in town (Piazza S. Pietro) while the train station is down in the valley, about two and a half miles away.

Corse (sotrap.it)