Recs for seafood tacos in Mexican rivieria

We will hit the standard Maz, PV and Cabo. I'm specifically looking for pulpo (octopus) but also other seafood tacos too. There's many tacos stands but not seeing much mentions of pulpo in particular.

We found more octopus as we went further south in the country...lots of good choices available in Huatulco, but less when you head up along the coast.  Restaurant Guru has worldwide restaurant reviews and is a good place to look.  Here is their website link for a decent choice in Mazatlan.  Tacos Capeados Carmen  It's a good inexpensive outdoor-seating taco stand that specializes in shrimp and octopus.  It's fairly popular, so can get busy.  Lots of good local reviews.  Only open for breakfast and lunch til 3pm-ish.  They are on Facebook and Instagram too.  Sorry I can't help if you are looking for a fancier joint (i.e. a nice indoor dinner.)

Posted (edited)

In Cabo - there is a place called Taco's Gardenias that we've been going to since 2002 (that's 22 years). We own a timeshare in Cabo and even though we do our resorts optional AI, it's still mandatory for us to visit Gardenias for what we consider the best fish tacos in Cabo. And sometimes we also go there from a cruise. From the tender drop off, it's a bit of a hike at about 2km (about 30 minutes walking). Other options include taxi (very expensive), Uber, or a pedicab. If you request an Uber - DON'T do it next to a Taxi Stand. If you do walk - it's basically down the main drag, hang a right BEFORE McDonalds (or after still works). Then walk a block and hang another right.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Fxyosh4tHVRXPj7Y9

I think that menu I'm showing is from 2020 so can't verify it's still the same but this link seems to suggest it is.

https://www.tacosgardenias.com/our-menu/

gardenias-menu.jpg

On the marina walk (closer) there are a couple of restaurants that are all excellent. Solomons Landing (one of our favorites), Captain Tony's, and the Tiki Bar (another favorite). Tiki Bar is known for their excellent sushi and my favorite - the Fish & Chips. I don't know if any of them serve octopus, but they might.

Edited by SDPadreFan

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 3:01 PM, SDPadreFan said:

In Cabo - there is a place called Taco's Gardenias that we've been going to since 2002 (that's 22 years). We own a timeshare in Cabo and even though we do our resorts optional AI, it's still mandatory for us to visit Gardenias for what we consider the best fish tacos in Cabo. And sometimes we also go there from a cruise. From the tender drop off, it's a bit of a hike at about 2km (about 30 minutes walking). Other options include taxi (very expensive), Uber, or a pedicab. If you request an Uber - DON'T do it next to a Taxi Stand. If you do walk - it's basically down the main drag, hang a right BEFORE McDonalds (or after still works). Then walk a block and hang another right.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Fxyosh4tHVRXPj7Y9

I think that menu I'm showing is from 2020 so can't verify it's still the same but this link seems to suggest it is.

https://www.tacosgardenias.com/our-menu/

gardenias-menu.jpg

On the marina walk (closer) there are a couple of restaurants that are all excellent. Solomons Landing (one of our favorites), Captain Tony's, and the Tiki Bar (another favorite). Tiki Bar is known for their excellent sushi and my favorite - the Fish & Chips. I don't know if any of them serve octopus, but they might.

Gardenias is very good for fish and shrimp tacos.  I go to Cabo often, and my two taco faves are Gardenias and Asi y Asado (need Uber ride). Gardenias is much more convenient for cruisers. I try to have both fish and shrimp tacos every day I'm there. I was at Gardenias last week and the price is higher than that (about 65-70 pesos per taco) but still a good deal.  Prices are higher everywhere after Covid just like US. Wherever you get your tacos, the shrimp and fish are locally caught.

12 minutes ago, Cruzbw said:

Gardenias is very good for fish and shrimp tacos.  I go to Cabo often, and my two taco faves are Gardenias and Asi y Asado (need Uber ride). Gardenias is much more convenient for cruisers. I try to have both fish and shrimp tacos every day I'm there. I was at Gardenias last week and the price is higher than that (about 65-70 pesos per taco) but still a good deal.  Prices are higher everywhere after Covid just like US. Wherever you get your tacos, the shrimp and fish are locally caught.

Always wanted to try Asi y Asado ever since Guy Fieri was there. My understanding is they moved to a new location from the perimeter road on the corridor to somewhere else in that general area. Agree that Asi y Asado is too far out for cruisers. We'll be in Cabo in August on Carnival Firenze and my wife wants to go to Gardenias (and also Eden Spa for a massage). Just not sure I want to deal with the August heat vs. just hanging out on the ship. Did you ever try Gordo Lele's in Cabo. He (Javier) had absolutely the best carne asada tacos in Cabo (our opinion). Started out as a little "crack in the sidewalk stand" (with a long line of customers) down near the church that's close to Mi Casa. Unfortunately, he finally had to move to Mexico City for health reasons, but he was a real treasure in Cabo for many years.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:40 PM, SDPadreFan said:

Always wanted to try Asi y Asado ever since Guy Fieri was there. My understanding is they moved to a new location from the perimeter road on the corridor to somewhere else in that general area. Agree that Asi y Asado is too far out for cruisers. We'll be in Cabo in August on Carnival Firenze and my wife wants to go to Gardenias (and also Eden Spa for a massage). Just not sure I want to deal with the August heat vs. just hanging out on the ship. Did you ever try Gordo Lele's in Cabo. He (Javier) had absolutely the best carne asada tacos in Cabo (our opinion). Started out as a little "crack in the sidewalk stand" (with a long line of customers) down near the church that's close to Mi Casa. Unfortunately, he finally had to move to Mexico City for health reasons, but he was a real treasure in Cabo for many years.

Sad to hear that Javier left! No wonder why he wasn't there the last time we went, but they didn't tell us he left! Good to know, we won't be going their in May. We also like Gardenias and Los Piasa's tacos. Great pastor!

• 2 weeks later...