Ovation of the Seas May 9'th Vancouver - Alaska Checkin Time Question

Hello,

I posted this question over on the RCI board but then I thought this might be the more appropiate board so I apologize for the double post.

This is our first cruise out  of Vancouver. I have a question about checkin time. On our Booking Confirmation document from Royal it states that checkin time is between 12:15 pm - 4:15 pm with departure set for 5:45 pm. However when the checkin times opened up on the app last week we got the earliest time available which was 10:00 am. We are staying at the Pan Pacific so we can easily make either time. Just wondering which time is the correct one and what time we should head down to the terminal? If we go for 10 and it's actually 12:15 I guess we will be waiting around for 2 hours which I'd rather not do.  Any info will be appreciated

Since the the Ovation will be making it's first North American stop of the season in Vancouver, BC (by way of Australia and Hawaii), I imagine that there will be a need for additional time to disembark not only passengers, but also any crew who will not be staying on for the Alaska season.  There will be a deep clean of the ship, and more provisions brought on to reflect the Alaska vibe of food and drink.

Also, please remember that Vancouver (and Seattle) are seasonal homeports, so the returning  pier/terminal staff have had the last 6 months off, and are just getting up to speed, and new hires are still learning.  I would expect a bit of a delay on getting on to the ship (10 AM probably isn't going to happen), but just have patience.  I also would expect additional patience will be needed at the end of your cruise in Seattle during disembarkation.

• Like 1

Since you're staying at the Pan Pacific, I would just hang around there and have lunch, then go down to the ship.  Much nicer to be sitting in a nice lobby than standing in line with a bunch of tired disgruntled people trying to get on the ship.

When you check-in at the Pan Pacific, let them know that you will be getting on a cruise ship.  The front desk will give you a phone number (extension) to call if you want your luggage picked up from your room and dropped off at the ship luggage drop off area.  We used this service last year '23, and it was great.  You do need to tip the bellman for this service, so make sure you have some cash on hand.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advise and tips. I hadn't realized that this was the start of the season for the Vancouver terminal. We will be fine I am sure. My TA says this was one of his favorite cruises so we are really looking forward to it.

18 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

Thanks everyone for the advise and tips. I hadn't realized that this was the start of the season for the Vancouver terminal. We will be fine I am sure. My TA says this was one of his favorite cruises so we are really looking forward to it.

This is not exactly the start of a season. We are sailing from Vancouver on April 14 to Hawaii. Also if you are at the Pan Pacific I am willing to bet you will be going up to the ship not down. The lines usually use convention halls for check in

Looking at the schedule for Port Metro Vancouver, the Ovation is arriving at 2am on May 9th and leaving at 3am on May 10 so embarking times may be slightly altered. The large ships can't fit under the Lions Gate Bridge at normal departure times so they have to come in and out when the tide is low.  Means after embarkation you will sit in the harbour until 2am.

image.png.41beb394560fb1e5b34cec809292924d.png

On 4/8/2024 at 4:45 PM, Piperpals said:

Looking at the schedule for Port Metro Vancouver, the Ovation is arriving at 2am on May 9th and leaving at 3am on May 10 so embarking times may be slightly altered. The large ships can't fit under the Lions Gate Bridge at normal departure times so they have to come in and out when the tide is low.  Means after embarkation you will sit in the harbour until 2am.

image.png.41beb394560fb1e5b34cec809292924d.png

Yes - Just got an email from Royal saying that we would be leaving at 1 am on Friday May 10'th.The email goes on to state that with the later departure we would be skipping Sitka but will be adding a stop in Victoria BC on our last day. It also states to use our original checkin time so we will be on the ship at the same time as we originally planned; just sitting in the habour a few more hours. I don't mind the changes however I wonder why Royal built the original intinary around a 5:45 pm departure time even thought the Port schedule has showed the later departure time for months. Since a later departure time is necassary because of bridge/tide/clearance factors this would have been known when they created the original schedule. Either way I'm really looking forward to my first Alaska/West coast cruise.