Voyager, April 16 - Barcelona to Athens - Sorrento Replaced with Palermo?

A couple of days ago I received notification from Regent that our port call in Sorrento is being cancelled.  The letter reads "Due to the scheduled G7 Summit, the planned call to Sorrento/Capri, Italy on April 19, 2024 has been replaced with Palermo".  I'm disappointed not to be going to Sorrento, but the thing that I truly don't understand is the G7 summit is being held in Puglia from June 13 - 15.  Puglia is nearly 300 km away from Sorrento, and the summit is nearly 60 days after our scheduled stop.  I'm perplexed by this explanation. 

Never having been to Palermo, I'm approaching it with an open mind.  Excursions aren't yet available on the website.  My cruise consultant said that Destination Services would be coordinating excursions once we're aboard.  Any advice regarding excursions that you've liked (or disliked) with Regent in Palermo is much appreciated.

Cannot help with Regents reasoning.

I don’t know how to do a link to articles however search for

A locals guide to Palermo by the newspaper the guardian. Sounds great and equally not a port which is often visited. Equally a really interesting article by the Independent ( another Uk newspaper);

We went to Sorrento last year with Regent and did a go local tour. To be honest we could have been in any small Italian city. The gelato and the coffee were 

Sorprendente ( amazing ) but nothing of real iterest just narrow streets with lots of tourist shops.  Of course this is just my opinion. Its was August and pretty full of people.
About a month ago We have had an alteration to our August cruise docking at Cannes instead of Antibes. New excursions came up today and there are plenty of different tours available. 
Hopefully the same will happen for you.

Thank you for these recommendations, I will look for both articles.  Just this afternoon tours opened up on the RSSC website, and I was waitlisted for my first choice, but was able to get a spot on another excursion that looks good as well.  I hope you have a great cruise in August.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, PacificView said:

A couple of days ago I received notification from Regent that our port call in Sorrento is being cancelled.  The letter reads "Due to the scheduled G7 Summit, the planned call to Sorrento/Capri, Italy on April 19, 2024 has been replaced with Palermo".  I'm disappointed not to be going to Sorrento, but the thing that I truly don't understand is the G7 summit is being held in Puglia from June 13 - 15.  Puglia is nearly 300 km away from Sorrento, and the summit is nearly 60 days after our scheduled stop.  I'm perplexed by this explanation. 

Never having been to Palermo, I'm approaching it with an open mind.  Excursions aren't yet available on the website.  My cruise consultant said that Destination Services would be coordinating excursions once we're aboard.  Any advice regarding excursions that you've liked (or disliked) with Regent in Palermo is much appreciated.

The G7 FOREIGN AFFAIRS MINISTERS’ MEETING is being held in Capri Apr.17-19. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 4

I found the Capuchin Catacombs of Palermo absolutely fascinating.  It is a little creepy, very sad, but very unique.  I'm glad I went.  However, the young crew member who went along as our minder, broke down in tears.  I had to comfort her for a little bit, and then she was fine.

• Like 1

Been to both places multiple times.  It is disappointing to miss Sorrento and the Amalfi coast but Palermo has a lot to offer.  The capuchin catacombs are fascinating, and it they offer a wine tour, take it.  Sicilian wines are wonderful.

Any other suggestions for tours in Palermo? This is a RCCL😚cruise with family late summer. I saw one that goes along the coast and then cruises thru town. 
Will be doing a wine food tour out of Messina in November on navigator- really looking forward to that one.

Also looking for any suggestions for pizza near the port in Palermo. Our only stop in Italy and sister wants pizza!

Please try the Cappella Palentina in the Palazzo Normanni. The mosaics in the chapel are incredible. Palermo has a fascinating history , something that can trigger an interest in a family member!

• Like 1