Juneau to limit cruise passengers

dmwnc1959

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is not a win as NCL has really crappy times in Ketchikan that their cruisers can barely do anything in port. Unfortunately - many don't realize it until after they have booked.

If you consider it a win, good for you. 

NCL Jewel:  On my way up, I have 7am - 4pm.  On my way down, I will have 1pm - 8 pm.  What are you doing in port that you need more than 7-9 hours?  Or are you just assuming that the 6-hour early port times from the Bliss apply to all NCL ships because those people have complained the most?  A return-to-ship time of 1pm makes people believe that they are in port for fewer hours than other ships.  But that ship arrives at 6am, instead of 10am.  I can't help people who can't do basic math, or think that ships should only port after brunch.  There are MANY ships who port early and leave early, especially on higher-end ships and smaller ports, but the masses don't know that if they only cruise the same cruiselines (Princess and HAL) and the same 10 ports.  

Posted (edited)

Say what you want about port times, NCL’s times are short or odd hours that make many activities that don’t start that early or run that late difficult. When you factor in the transit time from Ward Cove it just adds even more time and inconvenience. 

Sure, if you are happy to stick to cruise line excursions, you will find things scheduled to work. But Alaska is a very easy and desirable place to plan individual excursions that are infinitely more cost effective and often more satisfying. 

We really like NCL and have actually done six Alaska trips with them. But we were not happy with the Ward Cove set up - and we gave it two chances figuring perhaps the first year was just still working out the kinks. 

I’m quite good at basic math, enjoy NCL and am not just wed to cruising Princess, and have personally experienced the Ward Cove port. It’s not for me. I would rather spend my time experiencing Alaska then a manufactured port with chaotic shuttles and limited access to all the area offers without relying on a cattle call cruise excursion. 

So, we will happily cruise NCL many other places in the world but not in Alaska. I’m sure they will still fill the ships - but ultimately some people just don’t understand what they are missing out on, and those that do can come here to complain if they choose - since this is Cruise CRITIC. And in the end, people who prioritize port time and access will choose other lines. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Coral said:

It is not a win as NCL has really crappy times in Ketchikan that their cruisers can barely do anything in port. Unfortunately - many don't realize it until after they have booked.

If you consider it a win, good for you. 

The NCL half-day port stop at Ward’s Cove on their big ships, long lines for shuttles into town and back, and the earlier ‘last shuttle back’ to make sure everyone is on board in time for departure have definitely spawned some dissatisfied comments in quite a few concerning Cruise Critic posts. 

Next year my cruise on the smaller Norwegian Jade is scheduled at Ward’s Cove from 6a-4p on the first leg (sharing the dock with 🙄 Norwegian Bliss), and 10a-6p on the second half (with no other ships). Plenty of time to see things and get’r done. 🤞

😁

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MudbugsTherapist said:

NCL Jewel:  On my way up, I have 7am - 4pm.  On my way down, I will have 1pm - 8 pm.  What are you doing in port that you need more than 7-9 hours?  Or are you just assuming that the 6-hour early port times from the Bliss apply to all NCL ships because those people have complained the most?  A return-to-ship time of 1pm makes people believe that they are in port for fewer hours than other ships.  But that ship arrives at 6am, instead of 10am.  I can't help people who can't do basic math, or think that ships should only port after brunch.  There are MANY ships who port early and leave early, especially on higher-end ships and smaller ports, but the masses don't know that if they only cruise the same cruiselines (Princess and HAL) and the same 10 ports.  

You must be from Alaska.  You seem very confident in the fact that people in Ketchikan love having these huge ships visit their small community. I assume you know Ketchikan well, as you also know all the tours and times available.  And that the people who run the tours and work in the stores will of course happily work 14 hour days seven days a week so they can give tours or run their business for the passengers who arrive at 6am or are there until 8pm.

By the way, three out of the four ships that stop in Ketchikan (Bliss, Encore, and Sun) have a 1pm departure time.

Edited by wolfie11

12 hours ago, Coral said:

I have done several including the Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess, Sapphire Princess, Crown Princess, Radiance of the Seas, Star Princess, Golden Princess, Coral Princess and probably some I can't remember.

I think it is fine up to the Sapphire Princess (2600 passengers). Obviously I prefer the smaller ones also and most were done on 77,000 tonnage ships.

Same here!  I’ve been on most of those and a few others.  Pacific Princess was always my favorite!  I was on Royal Princess once and swore I’d never go on a ship that size again.  My most recent cruises have been on Regent, Viking, and Virgin.  I am pretty settled on Viking for most of my future cruises.  I absolutely love Virgin but refuse to cruise in the Caribbean/Mexico or the Med in summer so that mostly lets them out.  I did recently hear a rumor that they may start cruising in Alaska in the next few years, which would be awesome!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Exactly.

This is the new way... Cruise lines will not just have their own private islands... they will have their own ports and port buildings.  And as long as NCL has 3-5 regular ships during the Alaska season, they will be full.  People with kids, older millennials, and even some younger Gen Xers are willing to give up the convenience of randomly walking through a city for souvenirs and junk.  They want ships with things to do and excursions that are worth the money.  Princess and HAL will always have their demographic, especially for Alaska.  But NCL, Royal, and Carnival will build docks that don't have to follow a city council decision on pax limits.  And all they have to do for local support is to promise JOBS.

Edited by MudbugsTherapist

17 hours ago, MudbugsTherapist said:

There are MANY ships who port early and leave early, especially on higher-end ships and smaller ports, but the masses don't know that if they only cruise the same cruiselines (Princess and HAL) and the same 10 ports.  

I have cruised CCL, Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, Crystal and Holland America. I feel like I am leaving some out. Looking at your signature, I have sailed more lines than you have. I have also sailed quite a bit in Alaska and I definitely venture outside of the ports, more than most do in Alaska.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MudbugsTherapist said:

Exactly.

This is the new way... Cruise lines will not just have their own private islands... they will have their own ports and port buildings.  And as long as NCL has 3-5 regular ships during the Alaska season, they will be full.  People with kids, older millennials, and even some younger Gen Xers are willing to give up the convenience of randomly walking through a city for souvenirs and junk.  They want ships with things to do and excursions that are worth the money.  Princess and HAL will always have their demographic, especially for Alaska.  But NCL, Royal, and Carnival will build docks that don't have to follow a city council decision on pax limits.  And all they have to do for local support is to promise JOBS.

Not in Alaska.  NCL is the only one building expensive docks in out-of-the way places.  Anywhere they build will still need to be approved before the project is started.  If you read the article you would see that there is already an appeal against the approval of this project and the people who actually live in Juneau aren’t very happy about it.  Also, since the dock is inside city limits, they will have to abide by local cruise ship limits. And, btw, the people who live in Juneau neither need or want the low-paying temporary jobs the cruise lines offer.

• Like 3

On the day we are scheduled to be in Juneau in 2025 there are 6 ships due in at the same time 🙄🙈🤔 looks like will need to get excursions sorted out pdq with all those peeps descending on it. 

On 4/7/2024 at 9:52 AM, aussielozzie18 said:

I was so looking forward to our first visit to Sitka next month on the Grand Princess THEN I discovered that we will be in port with the Quantum of the Seas! 

I just checked the port schedule; Quantum will be with us (HAL) in Juneau.

On 4/7/2024 at 6:04 AM, dmwnc1959 said:

And I’m booked on Holland-America’s Noordam in April 2026 for what’s being billed as ‘Great Bear Rainforest’ and focuses on the Canadian Inside Passage from Prince Rupert to Vancouver.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/find-a-cruise?shipId:(NO)&departDate:[2026-04-01T00%3A00%3A00Z TO 2026-04-01T00%3A00%3A00Z%2B1MONTH-1DAY]

When their 2026 schedule is fully released I want to do it as a B2B into the Alaskan Inside and those ports. 

😆

That sounds like a great itinerary! I'm in!

• Like 1