Pre and Post Cruise Land Program experiences

Can anybody comment on the quality of Regent's pre and post cruise tours?  Contemplating participation for the Iguaza Falls land program before our cruise from Buenos Aires next March.  We took advantage of the post land program in Singapore this past February.  While the Fairmont was a good location and quality, check in was fairly efficient (for us at least), the no additional cost program included tours we wished we had skipped and the meals were not memorable.  There were seven buses and in excess of 200 participants.  Very tempted to manage Iguaza Falls on our own but I would love to hear what others have experienced.

We did the Machu Picchu Deluxe tour in December and the Iguazu Falls tour (Argentina only) in January, on either end of a Lima to Buenos Aires cruise.

They were both very well done. Akorn was the land tour provider in Peru, and Fathom in Argentina. The hotels were excellent, the meals very good, and the tours were well guided and well put together. We enjoyed them and recommend both of them.

Because these were add-on tours, and not included, we had fewer than 30 people on each tour. The 200-person multi bus tours are unlikely. There is a cap on how many can go, and you can probably get that info from Regent or your TA. I doubt that either of these tours will be freebies, because they both include internal flights (economy class).

3 hours ago, ljsanantonio said:

Can anybody comment on the quality of Regent's pre and post cruise tours?  Contemplating participation for the Iguaza Falls land program before our cruise from Buenos Aires next March.  We took advantage of the post land program in Singapore this past February.  While the Fairmont was a good location and quality, check in was fairly efficient (for us at least), the no additional cost program included tours we wished we had skipped and the meals were not memorable.  There were seven buses and in excess of 200 participants.  Very tempted to manage Iguaza Falls on our own but I would love to hear what others have experienced.

Have done both pre and post tours with Regent, some good, some ok. 
IMHO Iguazu Falls is best seen on your own. We did both sides on our own and would not have wanted to be on any kind of a schedule. It is one of the most impressive places we have ever visited. Some places you just want to linger and enjoy or go farther. It is huge!

Our pre-or post-cruise three-day "add-ons" BEFORE the Pandemic were in Asia and South Africa.  Both were well-done, and memorable. 

Asia:  Kuala Lumpur.  5+star Ritz Carlton for a Voyager post-cruise stay.  Well-paced and organized tours. Excellent Guides.  Singapore Air for post-stay flight back to Singapore. 

South Africa. Three-day Safari.  Pre-cruise before Mariner's Cape Town-Rio segment.  Quite a bit of logistics involved getting us from Cape Town via South Africa Air to Port Elizabeth.  Then an "interesting" 1.5 hour van drive up the hills to Camp Figtree.  This is an English-themed complex run-by 'Brits, and staffed by South Africans.  Worth-it.  Magical when observing the wildlife, up-close and personal, at Addo Elephant Sanctuary.  Every aspect of that Safari was 5+ star.  Then, back to airport for transit, via South Africa Air to Cape Town; and direct drive to the Pier and Mariner.

Post-Pandemic: Tokyo, October '23 following segment from Vancouver, BC. Hilton Hotel.  Others have given this a mixed review.  Our experience--taking into account the rainy weather--was fine.  Tours were on-time; appropriately described for those with mobility issues; Hotel dining venues were excellent. 

As with everything else in life, you pays your money and takes your chances. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ljsanantonio said:

Can't comment on the Regent extension but can tell you we did Iguazu Falls on our own about 15 years ago.  No issues whatsoever.  

11 hours ago, Avidtravler said:

Can someone comment on the pre Tokyo tour. We have a 3 day coming up in October and would be most interested in any suggestions.

We did the "included" pre-cruise Tokyo package in 2019.  I have a review in here somewhere.  We thought Regent did a fine job, if we had to pay for it we probably would have done it ourselves.  If you have any specific quetions let me know, I can try to find my review.  Maybe there are some people with more recent experiences.

Coincidentally we just returned from the post-cruise trip to Iguazú last month and we were impressed with the entire package.  While you *could* do it on your own, it was worth it to us to have Regent coordinate everything.  We flew out of BA to Iguazú and did the Argentine side on day one, then crossed into Brazil and spent the night in the resort in the park.  Staying in the park was nice as we had unrestricted access to the falls before the park opened to the general public.

We then got to visit a Guaraní village and see how the lived - not something I'd have done on my own but definitely interesting.

We also only had about 30 people on the trip so that was a plus.

For our flight back to BA, we had weather delays and gate changes so it was nice to have our guide keeping everything on track for us.  So yes, we paid more than we would have going on our own, but for us it was worth it.  The guides were great, the resort was great, and we had a, well, great time.  But only you can decide whether it's worth it to you - which do you value more, convenience or flexibility?  I'd say if you like the ability to venture out on your own and speak Spanish passably you'll be fine on your own.  Either way, you'll love the falls - they're amazing...

15 hours ago, Avidtravler said:

Can someone comment on the pre Tokyo tour. We have a 3 day coming up in October and would be most interested in any suggestions.

A review of our 3 day pre cruise packege is in this link.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2859002-links-to-any-tokyo-to-tokyo-trip-reports/#comment-63382085

We did a pre cruise in Iceland in 2022. It was beyond excellent. Super tour guide.  Well organized. Hotels very good despite having to walk a little with our luggage. And only about 24 with us. 

8 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Coincidentally we just returned from the post-cruise trip to Iguazú last month and we were impressed with the entire package.  While you *could* do it on your own, it was worth it to us to have Regent coordinate everything.  We flew out of BA to Iguazú and did the Argentine side on day one, then crossed into Brazil and spent the night in the resort in the park.  Staying in the park was nice as we had unrestricted access to the falls before the park opened to the general public.

We then got to visit a Guaraní village and see how the lived - not something I'd have done on my own but definitely interesting.

We also only had about 30 people on the trip so that was a plus.

For our flight back to BA, we had weather delays and gate changes so it was nice to have our guide keeping everything on track for us.  So yes, we paid more than we would have going on our own, but for us it was worth it.  The guides were great, the resort was great, and we had a, well, great time.  But only you can decide whether it's worth it to you - which do you value more, convenience or flexibility?  I'd say if you like the ability to venture out on your own and speak Spanish passably you'll be fine on your own.  Either way, you'll love the falls - they're amazing...

Thank you to all for the responses!  UUNetBill, we are staying two nights in Argentina.  The Regent preliminary time table shows returning to the hotel each night at 7:30 pm and dinner at 8:30.  This can certainly change but I am apprehensive that everything with even a small group takes much longer.  Was there flexibility at all on your Regent tour? Much obliged!

1 hour ago, ljsanantonio said:

Was there flexibility at all on your Regent tour? Much obliged!

We did the tour you're looking at in January.

No "flexibility" as in you go with the group for the two dinners that aren't on your own. But there's downtime for naps or shopping and you can always go to the hotel bar for a drink and/or snack.  TBH, The dinners weren't the highlight of this tour. They are all about the beef (which Argentinians like medium to medium-well, so if you want it rarer, you gotta ask), and you aren't getting their best wine. The best parts of the tour are the sights, and those make it all worth it! The lunch at La Selva was pretty good, though.

I'm surprised you have only 2 nights in Argentina. Our Iguazu falls trip in Jan was 3 nights -- two in Iguazu (at the Gran Melia Iguazu, one of the best hotels we've ever stayed at) and one in Buenos Aires. I looked at your cruise, and the pre-cruise Iguazu trip is 3 nights BA/Iguazu/BA.

(Note that even though the tour lists the Devil's Throat train, there was a huge wash out in late 2022 and a lot of that area has been closed since. They may or may not have the tracks, trails, and bridges repaired by the next March.)

We had a great time. Like UUNetBill we appreciated Regent taking care of all the details, from the internal flights to having our luggage stored. I don't think you'll be sorry.

We are actually on the four night package.  BA/Iguazux2/BA, staying in the park at the Belmond.  The three night you reference is at the Gran Melia. I have heard great things about both hotels.  Your note weather delays is an important thought, as I have read about weather issues which may not be uncommon.  If we proceed "on our own" we will use a guide for Iguazu (Tours by Locals).  Fortunately we have a lot of time to decide, and I am so very grateful for all of the input!

15 hours ago, ljsanantonio said:

Thank you to all for the responses!  UUNetBill, we are staying two nights in Argentina.  The Regent preliminary time table shows returning to the hotel each night at 7:30 pm and dinner at 8:30.  This can certainly change but I am apprehensive that everything with even a small group takes much longer.  Was there flexibility at all on your Regent tour? Much obliged!

Of course, every group can be different, but yes, we had a good amount of flexibility in our program.  There were occasions when we split off into two groups to allow for people who wanted to roam a bit more to get out and wander while others hung out in the shade with a cool beverage.  We also had our dinners planned for either 8:00 or 8:30 (as is the norm there) and there was enough groaning from some of us older 'earlier diner' folks and we managed to get dinner moved to 7:00, that kind of thing.  

I think a lot of it will depend on your guide and the size of the group.  But it's been our experience that unless there's a hard stop on something, such as flights or group meals booked on the road, they'll do what they can to accommodate everyone.

12 hours ago, ljsanantonio said:

We are actually on the four night package.  BA/Iguazux2/BA, staying in the park at the Belmond.  The three night you reference is at the Gran Melia. I have heard great things about both hotels.  Your note weather delays is an important thought, as I have read about weather issues which may not be uncommon.  If we proceed "on our own" we will use a guide for Iguazu (Tours by Locals).  Fortunately we have a lot of time to decide, and I am so very grateful for all of the input!

lj, that's the hotel we stayed in and it was very nice - great location and great service. I'm glad you're doing the Brazilian side, the views are very nice from there.  I'll see if I can find some pics to post here for you.

Also, after this month I believe you need a visa for Brazil (they postponed the requirement until after our trip, thankfully, although we'd already applied and paid and eventually received our visas - it was NOT a seamless process).

IMG_2139.thumb.jpeg.8298b09e1407620a59b98ce09b1bb9a2.jpeg

The hotel - I found it vaguely reminiscent of a 70's album cover, others agreed with me...any guesses?  🙂

IMG_2163.thumb.jpeg.3541984ec3170f9e00fee82320b305b1.jpeg

That's the hotel in the lower left - you can see the proximity to the falls.  And you have access before the park opens, so you can head out early and avoid the crowds.

IMG_1996.thumb.JPEG.015459c1cb61ba383a6fc8f5db4eaedc.JPEG

Photos can't capture the incredible power and beauty of the falls.  But we still try.

IMG_2063.thumb.jpeg.6989e93dab593a0a1ae4b017abdff75b.jpeg

Optional Zodiac ride to get up close and personal with some of the smaller falls.  Absolute blast.

• Like 2

Those pictures are beautiful.  I can't wait. Appreciate your comments re the 7 pm dinner time.  That is so us!  I realize that the culture in South America and Portugal where we will end up calls for later dinner time, but we really struggle with it.

My TA also called the Belmond "Hotel California" 😆

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 10:41 AM, UUNetBill said:

lj, that's the hotel we stayed in and it was very nice - great location and great service. I'm glad you're doing the Brazilian side, the views are very nice from there.  I'll see if I can find some pics to post here for you.

IMG_2139.thumb.jpeg.8298b09e1407620a59b98ce09b1bb9a2.jpeg

The hotel - I found it vaguely reminiscent of a 70's album cover, others agreed with me...any guesses?  🙂

For reference:  🙂

YOU CAN FIND IT HERE: Inside the Eagles' HOTEL CALIFORNIA ...

I recently did a 10 day tour with Scenic.  It was beyond amazing.  We did 3 days in BA, flew to the Falls for 3 nights and stayed at the Belmond on the Brazil side with private access as described above, and ended with 3 nights at the Copacabana Palace in Rio with a visit to Christ the Redeemer.  We did have a lunch at the Gran Melia on the Argentina side.  IMHO, there is no comparison.  The Belmond on the Brazil side was epic.  I agree with the person above about over cooking the steaks in Argentina.  It was funny to see the change in Rio where they fall solidly in the rare to blue category.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interested in Scenic! Will be watching to see what their 2026 itineraries hold

In the meantime, we have decided to go to Iguazu Falls on our own.  We are in the process of booking Edson for our trip end of February 2025 as well!  Considering a schedule that is different from most tour schedules:   Arrive IGR noonish and go to the Belmond, perhaps go on the Macuco Safari. Enjoy the Belmond late afternoon and evening.  Next day, start early on the  Argentine side with a Tours By Local guide.  That gives us plenty of time to explore the Brazil side the next day before midafternoon flight. 

As I mentioned, this seems to be different from what most tour providers recommend.  Is there any reason this might not work?  Thanks to all