MSC Carribbean vs. Med

helenb

9 hours ago, Sthrncrusr said:

We too will be on the World Europa this coming Christmas and would love any extra information you could share with regards to that week on board!

thanks!

Where to start...

First of all, bear in mind that my catch on this cruise may have been affected by the fact that it was a Xmas cruise (meaning that the ship was way overcrowded with families with kids) and also that I have cruised many times with MSC (YC and non-YC) and therefore I am always comparing and drawing my very own personal conclusions from those comparisons.

This said and to sum it up, the WE cruise is the one I have enjoyed the least after my 14 years story of cruising with the company.

Do not get me wrong, it was not an awful experience. In fact, I should say I enjoyed it but...

The ship is huge, beautiful and it has that WOW factor. BUT the layout is (to me) the worst one I have ever found after around 30 cruises. A LOT of wasted and underused space dedicated to assorted extra pay venues (business is business, I get it). This caused extreme overcrowding in the rest of the areas which led to a less than relaxing experience throughout the week.

Service at the public areas was efficient and polite and always did their best considering the sheer amount of people.

Room was beautiful, well appointed and always clean thanks to a very hard working cabin attendant.

Food was OK and you will not go hungry but again, the overcrowded ship led to stressful visits to either the buffet or MDRs.

My advice, concentrate on the good and try to disregard the bad. Not easy on this ship but doable. I would cruise MSC again, no doubt about it, but not on this ship. Bear in mind that the average rating on this site for the WE is 2.8 (poor). I think this sums it all up!

Not saying "do not go", but just saying "be warned" about the shortcomings and find your own way to enjoy yourself.

I am not good at writing lengthy reviews, but will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Feel free to ask! 😉

• Like 1

thank you!

we’ve been on the Seaside, Seascape and Seashore. Some of those have received horrific reviews too so I hear you and take your advice! Those ships didn’t have walking tracks so I’m hoping I’ll use this giant ship as a canvas to get my walks in each day. Does this ship have a true walking track or do I have to get creative again?!

Planning to spend most time in port in the cooler weather so hopefully I won’t notice the insane crowds onboard or at least too tired too care. 
What was your typical weather like? We start in Barcelona but imagine it’ll get a bi sunnier and warmer as we head south…

8 minutes ago, Sthrncrusr said:

thank you!

we’ve been on the Seaside, Seascape and Seashore. Some of those have received horrific reviews too so I hear you and take your advice! Those ships didn’t have walking tracks so I’m hoping I’ll use this giant ship as a canvas to get my walks in each day. Does this ship have a true walking track or do I have to get creative again?!

Planning to spend most time in port in the cooler weather so hopefully I won’t notice the insane crowds onboard or at least too tired too care. 
What was your typical weather like? We start in Barcelona but imagine it’ll get a bi sunnier and warmer as we head south…

Hi, for Barcelona this is official forecast for weather

https://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/barcelona-id08019

English Version

Most of weather webs take data from this source.

Christmas... it depends on too many things. Previous days, wind, if it is sunny or cloudy.

I remember days it seems you are in the Artic, I remember warm days even winter.

28 minutes ago, Sthrncrusr said:

thank you!

Cannot answer your question about the walking track since I am not the walking type and did not even bother to check. Sorry!

About the weather, it will depend on that specific winter period being a cold or a mild one, who knows...

We had mostly mild and sunny / part cloudy weather throughout the itinerary. Only in Genoa did we have a really miserable rainy day, but it was the exception during that week. As a general rule, very cold weather along European coastal areas is not be expected, but winter is winter and you should pack some warm clothes and a raincoat just in case.

As to the sea condition, it was really good as well. Also as a general rule, the last sea day/night (Malta to Barcelona) tends to be the most shaky one (was told once it has do to with the currents and winds on Gulf of Leon), but nothing to worry about. Only ONCE in 14 years have I had a very rocking vessel while on that itinerary and even then I managed to sleep. 😆

Sthrncrusr,

We're on the MSC World Europa's Christmas (Dec 20-27, 2024) cruise too. Our plan for Malta is to take one of the ship's tours in the morning as finding independent tours on Christmas Day or relying on local transportation are not good options on that day.  As Alserrod points out, everything will be closed, at least until mid afternoon.  We'll walk around Valetta after the tour.

Years ago we spent Christmas in Rome. We got tickets for Midnight Mass with the Pope, which was a wonderful communal experience.  We visited a lot of churches on the days leading to Christmas to look at the decorations, in particular the Nativity scenes (presepe). Baby Jesus is not placed in the manger until after Midnight Mass.  We look forward to visiting the churches and Christmas markets in all of the ports.

We had a bad experience on Princess in the Mediterranean two years ago re smoking.  The passengers in the cabin next to ours would smoke in their balcony.  We had to call the floor supervisor.  He spoke to the passengers and gave them a warning.  Didn't work, not even after they were fined.  We got $100 OBC for the inconvenience but have decided that from now on, no balcony cabins in the Mediterranean for us.  We've booked an infinity oceanview on the MSC World Europa.  It has a sliding glass panel so we could open it and get fresh air in the room if we wish.

I'm a bit concerned about the size of the ship and the number of passengers as we have never been on a ship that big.  But it's a port-intensive cruise in December (pool deck won't be a sea of people) and I've learned tips from a thread re WE's Christmas 2023 cruise (can't recall the member's name but look it up, lots of photos) such as not to go to the dining room early, to wait 5-10 minutes after it opens in order to avoid the huge crowd.  I'm aware this is not an issue in YC.

Almirante Churruca,

I was writing my post at the same time you were posting yours. Thank you for the information on what to expect in a WE Christmas cruise.  We'll temper our expectations so as to enjoy the cruise.

For Christmas 2025 we've booked a short Caribbean cruise on the Azamara Quest: 650 passengers or so.

I’m a little concerned about the smoke as well. Great idea with your cabin on WE! We too are leaning towards a ship tour in Malta as options will be slim while we are in port.

thanks!

30 minutes ago, Dididi said:

Sthrncrusr,

We're on the MSC World Europa's Christmas (Dec 20-27, 2024) cruise too. Our plan for Malta is to take one of the ship's tours in the morning as finding independent tours on Christmas Day or relying on local transportation are not good options on that day.  As Alserrod points out, everything will be closed, at least until mid afternoon.  We'll walk around Valetta after the tour.

Years ago we spent Christmas in Rome. We got tickets for Midnight Mass with the Pope, which was a wonderful communal experience.  We visited a lot of churches on the days leading to Christmas to look at the decorations, in particular the Nativity scenes (presepe). Baby Jesus is not placed in the manger until after Midnight Mass.  We look forward to visiting the churches and Christmas markets in all of the ports.

We had a bad experience on Princess in the Mediterranean two years ago re smoking.  The passengers in the cabin next to ours would smoke in their balcony.  We had to call the floor supervisor.  He spoke to the passengers and gave them a warning.  Didn't work, not even after they were fined.  We got $100 OBC for the inconvenience but have decided that from now on, no balcony cabins in the Mediterranean for us.  We've booked an infinity oceanview on the MSC World Europa.  It has a sliding glass panel so we could open it and get fresh air in the room if we wish.

I'm a bit concerned about the size of the ship and the number of passengers as we have never been on a ship that big.  But it's a port-intensive cruise in December (pool deck won't be a sea of people) and I've learned tips from a thread re WE's Christmas 2023 cruise (can't recall the member's name but look it up, lots of photos) such as not to go to the dining room early, to wait 5-10 minutes after it opens in order to avoid the huge crowd.  I'm aware this is not an issue in YC.

We were in an infinity oceanview cabin too. We loved it!

True, pool should not be crowded, but all those folks will be wandering around the inside of the vessel.

Again, ship is beautiful to look at, but my main complaint is how many of the public areas have been put to (bad) use, thus causing overcrowding in the rest of the vessel. So much wasted space (specially, but not just, the open air aft promenade) full of venues very few people use because they are extra charge. Only time will tell, but my bet is that MSC will end up reconsidering those areas if they continue to be so unsuccessful among passengers.

Other inside venues (Raj Polo Tea House, Champagne Bar and others) were mostly deserted (at least whenever we checked) most of the time, while the "all-inclusive" venues were extremely packed thus rendering them not comfy places to be in.

As I said to the OP, do not let my complaints deter you from enjoying your experience. You will find your way as we found ours, but I have seen better on other MSC cruises, just that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dididi said:

Our plan for Malta is to take one of the ship's tours in the morning as finding independent tours on Christmas Day or relying on local transportation are not good options on that day.  

Actually it is already difficult enough for the cruise lines to set up the tours. Not just Christmas and New Years Day, Epiphany also. Celebrity had to cancel many excursions because the local travel agents could not provide busses and guides on that days. MSC in Europe is certainly more powerful to handle this as they deal with it long time already. But surely they will not be able to provide extra busses when the tours are sold out. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlmiranteChurruca said:

… WE cruise is the one I have enjoyed the least after my 14 years story of cruising with the company.

Do not get me wrong, it was not an awful experience. In fact, I should say I enjoyed it but...

The ship is huge, beautiful and it has that WOW factor. BUT the layout is (to me) the worst one I have ever found after around 30 cruises. A LOT of wasted and underused space dedicated to assorted extra pay venues (business is business, I get it). This caused extreme overcrowding in the rest of the areas which led to a less than relaxing experience throughout the week.
I would cruise MSC again, no doubt about it, but not on this ship.

You’ve summed up exactly how we feel about this ship (and we did a repo - so it wasn’t at capacity, nor were there many kids onboard).  I thought, at the time, that it would be a complete nightmare during its Med Summer season.  

I think there is a very big difference in the vibe between Europe and Caribbean cruises, though perhaps this reflects how I cruise:

Caribbean:  For many the ship is the destination, and pools, bars and amenities are generally busier.  I think it holds true that on many cruise lines (including MSC) the atmosphere is more party in the Caribbean.

Europe:  Each day you are stopping in great cities full of culture, food and things to do and experience.  During the day I think there are less people just drinking by the pool, and while you can still find a party in the evening they are smaller.

• Like 1