MSC Carribbean vs. Med

helenb

I found a very short thread on this from pre-COVID, so I figured it was worth asking again. We just booked a Med cruise on Seaside for 2025. We have been on Seaside twice before, in the Caribbean. I understand that there will be some differences to the onboard experience sailing in the Med. I am expecting:

- onboard currency in Euros

- multilingual activities/shows (no trivia?)

- multilingual announcements

- passengers embarking and disembarking at every port

- possibly more seafood-heavy menus

- possibly more smoking onboard

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to the extent of these differences. How is it embarking/disembarking in a port where the majority of the ship is not joining you? If you're not getting off in a port, do they still make you disembark to 'clear' the ship, like they do for people on B2Bs? How much more smoking can we expect? Does anyone have any sample menus from the Med?

We will be sailing in YC, in situations where that makes a difference (e.g. menus).

Posted (edited)

Zeroing the ship is a US thing, not done in Europe.  Look for the threads from those sailing Euribia and World Europa as they might have posted menus.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

9 hours ago, helenb said:

I found a very short thread on this from pre-COVID, so I figured it was worth asking again. We just booked a Med cruise on Seaside for 2025. We have been on Seaside twice before, in the Caribbean. I understand that there will be some differences to the onboard experience sailing in the Med. I am expecting:

- onboard currency in Euros

- multilingual activities/shows (no trivia?)

- multilingual announcements

- passengers embarking and disembarking at every port

- possibly more seafood-heavy menus

- possibly more smoking onboard

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to the extent of these differences. How is it embarking/disembarking in a port where the majority of the ship is not joining you? If you're not getting off in a port, do they still make you disembark to 'clear' the ship, like they do for people on B2Bs? How much more smoking can we expect? Does anyone have any sample menus from the Med?

We will be sailing in YC, in situations where that makes a difference (e.g. menus).

- The currency on board most MSC cruises is the euro. This includes some that are developed entirely on the American continent.
Anyway... except for a few ports throughout Europe and the Mediterranean area, in all of them the currency is the euro.

- shows tend to be more musical or mime rather than spoken. However....they end up doing trivia!!!!

- yes, the announcements are in all languages (they reduce the number of announcements) and the order of the languages is according to the passengers who are currently on board.

- Depending on the cruise through Europe, whether north or south, it may have several boarding points, two or even just one. In addition to searching the MSC website itself, there is a quick way to find out by applying logic. All cruises that loop through Spain, France, Italy (and maybe Malta or Tunisia) have multiple boarding points for marketing reasons. This way you attract more local customers. It doesn't make sense for your ship to pass near where you live and you have to catch a flight to a distant place. Everyone who goes through Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France and England does it too.
But those who leave Bari or Venice to go to the Greek islands will only have ONE embarkation port.
Those traveling through the Baltic or Norwegian fjords will only have two embarkation ports.

For you it is not a problem... except that every day you will hear some safety message over the public address system "for those who have embarked today."
That is, the day you board you will arrive at your cabin and they will notify you that you have to complete the mandatory security protocol. From there, and until you disembark, you will not hear anything except some announcement over the public address system that does not apply to you.

As far as I know, only if the cruise arrives in England will you have to get off the ship for immigration reasons. Keep in mind that on most tours the ship only passes through cruises from countries in the Schengen zone. This means that you can board with the minimum documentation on board (in your case it would be your passport but for any of these countries your identity document is enough).

It has a positive side and that is that with each boarding and disembarkation only 25-30% of the passengers board, which makes it much more agile.

- Regarding food, from the comments of people who have traveled in both places I have read that the portions tend to be a little smaller in Europe (although in the MDR in America they charge you $5 for an additional dish and in Europe the dishes with MSC are free) and with a little less salt.
However, everything is a matter of flavors and tastes. In a buffet it would be more difficult but in a restaurant (and even more so in YC) it is easy for you to tell the waiter how salty or how you want the food so that they can prepare it to your liking.

Someone somewhere said they were going to travel through the eastern Mediterranean and wanted to know if the cakes would have less sugar. Another person's response is that everything is relative but that her cruise included a stop on an island in Turkey. Let him go down, order cakes in a store and from then on anything he ate anywhere in the world would have less sugar than in Turkey.
It's a matter of taste, of course.

- The restrictions that MSC has on smoking are the same anywhere. On the ship I will be traveling on, as far as I know, you can only smoke in one room (or maybe there were two) and in a specific area next to the adult pool, and it is prohibited in the rest.
I think that smoking is prohibited in all of YC and if someone wants to, they should go to the rooms that are there for it.
The legislation by country (for the excursions you take) is equally restrictive. Everyone has their own but this includes not being able to smoke on means of transport, or inside buildings (including all types of bars and restaurants) which is strictly complied with.

10 hours ago, helenb said:

See in RED

- onboard currency in Euros Yes

- multilingual activities/shows (no trivia?) Not really

- multilingual announcements Few to none depending on importance

- passengers embarking and disembarking at every port 1 or 2 more maybe, not every

- possibly more seafood-heavy menus Never look for seafood so cannot comment

- possibly more smoking onboard No

Regards,

Cublet

- onboard currency in Euros Yes

- multilingual activities/shows (no trivia?) YES  with announcements in many languages

- multilingual announcements Yes

- passengers embarking and disembarking at every port if you are in the MED, then yes, every port of call

- possibly more smoking onboard Yes x10000

• Like 1

Right before the pandemic, we sailed on the Grandiosa's maiden voyage. One third of the passengers were from mainland China so they added Mandarin and Cantonese to the six languages for announcements, making eight. As far as new people coming onboard at several ports, the ship always had a group of new people looking  quite lost. It was probably the least friendly group of passengers (except for the south American crowd from Miami) we had ever traveled with. 

18 hours ago, helenb said:

How is it embarking/disembarking in a port where the majority of the ship is not joining you?

For you in YC this has no relevance, but generally it is certainly much more relaxed to have the embarking/disembarking in one of the minor ports. 

If really all ports are used for embarking/disembarking, that depends on the route. In the Eastern Med not all ports are used, in the Western almost all ports are used, Malta and Ibiza sometimes not, Tunis never (I think). 

Thank you, everyone, for your responses! I knew that I could count on Cruise Critic for information!

We will be embarking in Marseilles and doing the Western Med, so I'm expecting that every port (except Tunis?) will have new people. The many languages doesn't bother us, as we're used to that from our previous travels in Europe. We're going to Europe to experience the culture, so that's part of it. I'm surprised (but pleased) that there would be trivia!

Given the different responses on smoking, I'm guessing that it varies from cruise to cruise.

I don't mind less salty, as I can always add salt (that's why there's a shaker on the table right?). Less sugar... depends on the dessert, but I'm sure that there will be plenty to eat, so I'm not too worried.

For anyone else interested, I did find some Med menus here. Many of the dishes do look familiar from our Caribbean cruises, so I would expect the recipes to be the same. But there are definitely more seafood dishes.

https://www.alannazingano.com/videos/yacht-club-menus-on-msc-grandiosa-mar-2023

1 hour ago, helenb said:

Thank you, everyone, for your responses! I knew that I could count on Cruise Critic for information!

We will be embarking in Marseilles and doing the Western Med, so I'm expecting that every port (except Tunis?) will have new people. The many languages doesn't bother us, as we're used to that from our previous travels in Europe. We're going to Europe to experience the culture, so that's part of it. I'm surprised (but pleased) that there would be trivia!

Given the different responses on smoking, I'm guessing that it varies from cruise to cruise.

I don't mind less salty, as I can always add salt (that's why there's a shaker on the table right?). Less sugar... depends on the dessert, but I'm sure that there will be plenty to eat, so I'm not too worried.

For anyone else interested, I did find some Med menus here. Many of the dishes do look familiar from our Caribbean cruises, so I would expect the recipes to be the same. But there are definitely more seafood dishes.

https://www.alannazingano.com/videos/yacht-club-menus-on-msc-grandiosa-mar-2023

Hello

I have checked and there will be embarkment in all ports except Tunisia.

It is enough to go to MSC website, search for cruises, set MSC Grandiosa (I bet you will be in that ship if you sail accross Marseille and Tunisia) and ask for cruises of 7 days or more.

You will find "all possible cruises" with departure port which means same loop but starting in all ports of call except Tunisia.

PS. If you need information about Barcelona I posted a lot of in the "Ports of call" category here in Cruise critic

Thanks, Alserod! Actually, we will be on Seaside which is a bit disappointing, since we have sailed her twice before and were hoping for a new ship. But hers is the one whose itinerary fits our dates.

I appreciate the info about Barcelona. We have been there before, but it has been a long time. it will be weird to see the Sagrada Famila (nearly) complete when we are there in 2025!

3 minutes ago, helenb said:

Thanks, Alserod! Actually, we will be on Seaside which is a bit disappointing, since we have sailed her twice before and were hoping for a new ship. But hers is the one whose itinerary fits our dates.

I appreciate the info about Barcelona. We have been there before, but it has been a long time. it will be weird to see the Sagrada Famila (nearly) complete when we are there in 2025!

What about a day visit to Zaragoza by train? It is possible since there's high speed railway. Yeah, there's distance but it takes less same time going from Barcelona to Zaragoza than from Livorno to Firenze

or Montjuic mountain in Barcelona

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, helenb said:

How is it embarking/disembarking in a port where the majority of the ship is not joining you? If you're not getting off in a port, do they still make you disembark to 'clear' the ship, like they do for people on B2Bs? How much more smoking can we expect? 

We sailed on the Meraviglia, first in the Mediterranean and then in the Caribbean:

- I actually preferred smaller groups embarking and disembarking at each port. Short lines and very leisurely process. The chaos at the port when all passengers are embarking/disembarking at once was greatly minimized. Another thing that was really nice when we first boarded the ship was that the ship was pretty much deserted, with most in-transit passengers ashore. That meant no crowds, and no lines to get a bite to eat at the lunch buffet (which is normally packed on U.S. based ships on embarkation day).

- You will not be required to get off at each port to clear the ship. In addition to that, if your itinerary is wholly contained in the Schengen Area, you will disembark on the last day and not have to clear customs before exiting the terminal. You walk right out. 

- I did not find the smoking to be any more aggressive on the Mediterranean sailing compared to the Caribbean sailing (and my wife is like a bloodhound when it comes to cigarette smell) 😂.Yes, you will see a considerable amount of smokers in the designated smoking areas, but they will be contained to those areas only. 

- Another thing that was a welcome change was on debarkation day. We had an early flight back to the U.S. so we were ready to do self-assist and get off the ship as quickly as possible. Based on our experience in the U.S, we were expecting long lines of people doing self-assist. But those lines never materialized. We were one of 5 or 6 families trying to get off the ship as early as possible. That, combined with no customs, and we were outside the terminal in less than 5 minutes. Loved it.

Overall, the MSC experience in the Mediterranean was far superior than in the Caribbean. Would love to do it again. 

Edited by Tapi

8 hours ago, alserrod said:

I have checked and there will be embarkment in all ports except Tunisia.

MSC is indeed not selling cruises starting in Tunisia and Morocco on their websites, but I am not sure if local travel agents might sell these cruises for MSC in their local markets. 

2 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

MSC is indeed not selling cruises starting in Tunisia and Morocco on their websites, but I am not sure if local travel agents might sell these cruises for MSC in their local markets. 

Hi, nowadays it is not offering cruises from Tunisia, at least after their information in the web.

But in documents requirements for cruises in the Mediterranean they still point for Tunisia if "in transit" or if "debarkation". So.... I do not know if they could offer via some agents or if just in case

10 hours ago, Tapi said:

- You will not be required to get off at each port to clear the ship. In addition to that, if your itinerary is wholly contained in the Schengen Area, you will disembark on the last day and not have to clear customs before exiting the terminal. You walk right out. 

Hello

just to know....

Tunisia is not part of Schengen area, nor part of European Union.

but AFAIK, 

- for EU citizens it is enough to bring ID card to entry into the ship (after Tunisia is a port of call, not final destination)

- for non-EU citizens it is enough to bring passport (no visa or Tunisian duties required)

- when arriving to Marseille possibly there will not be any control by police

Thanks for the info! We're fine if we have to go through customs when disembarking in Marseilles, but I agree, it would be nice not to have to do so!

2 minutes ago, helenb said:

Thanks for the info! We're fine if we have to go through customs when disembarking in Marseilles, but I agree, it would be nice not to have to do so!

Just to know.... among all countries belonging to Schengen treaty there's no passport control.

you can have a look on Google maps to those border crossing roads between France and Italy or France and Spain. There aren't any booth for passports because... there's no control since 1992.

So, for passport purposes, a cruise from France to these cities is like a cruise from Seattle to Alaska and back to Seattle. 

Will inmigration ask your passport after that cruise?. Find the same in Marseille

The only nicetie is you will be on transit in Tunisia. That could change things depending on how it is considered.

If before or after your cruise you decide to visit any other country just remember that, in terms on passport, all flights are as "domestic flights"

Yes, we have experienced that when driving or cruising in Europe before. I wasn't certain if the stop in Africa would make a difference or not.

Hello helenb and be most welcome to my homeland!

Another difference with US itineraries I would not overlook is the possibility of enjoying a more relaxed lunch at the MDR on embarkation day. While on US itineraries only the madhouse (er, the buffet, sorry) is open for lunch, on European ones you will see that one of the MDRs will be open.

Not everybody is aware of this since on the daily programme they will not mention it and the crew will ALWAYS try to steer you on the way to the buffet. Why? Because (company rules) the MDR is supposed to be available ONLY for guests who already boarded on a previous port.

However, being previously aware of this, on our last Xmas cruise on the World Europa from Barcelona my party and me disregarded the "go to the buffet" instructions and went straight to the open MDR (again, not on the info provided upon embarkation, you will have to go and have a peek by yourself) and were happily accepted and promptly seated. I was worried that upon scanning our cards they would reject us because of our just-boarded status, but had zero issues and managed to enjoy a nice meal with table service away from the buffet mayhem.

True, the buffet area may not be so crowded on Europen loop crusises, but still not the place for me to go, particularly when boarding on one of the two main hubs (Barcelona and Rome).

• Like 1

Oh trust me, we will be at the YC restaurant for lunch, probably right when it opens! And then probably at gelato for dessert.... 😉

But that is a great tip!

On 4/9/2024 at 11:59 AM, AlmiranteChurruca said:

Hello helenb and be most welcome to my homeland!

Another difference with US itineraries I would not overlook is the possibility of enjoying a more relaxed lunch at the MDR on embarkation day. While on US itineraries only the madhouse (er, the buffet, sorry) is open for lunch, on European ones you will see that one of the MDRs will be open.

Not everybody is aware of this since on the daily programme they will not mention it and the crew will ALWAYS try to steer you on the way to the buffet. Why? Because (company rules) the MDR is supposed to be available ONLY for guests who already boarded on a previous port.

However, being previously aware of this, on our last Xmas cruise on the World Europa from Barcelona my party and me disregarded the "go to the buffet" instructions and went straight to the open MDR (again, not on the info provided upon embarkation, you will have to go and have a peek by yourself) and were happily accepted and promptly seated. I was worried that upon scanning our cards they would reject us because of our just-boarded status, but had zero issues and managed to enjoy a nice meal with table service away from the buffet mayhem.

True, the buffet area may not be so crowded on Europen loop crusises, but still not the place for me to go, particularly when boarding on one of the two main hubs (Barcelona and Rome).

We too will be on the World Europa this coming Christmas and would love any extra information you could share with regards to that week on board!

thanks!

3 minutes ago, Sthrncrusr said:

We too will be on the World Europa this coming Christmas and would love any extra information you could share with regards to that week on board!

thanks!

Which days?

You can look for extra Christmas events in all port of call

1 minute ago, alserrod said:

Which days?

You can look for extra Christmas events in all port of call

The week of Christmas! Dec. 20th - 27th.

some of the fun things in Malta don’t open until later afternoon at which point we’d need to be making our way back to the ship. Could do a fancy hotel breakfast but figured we’d save money by eating on the ship….

You will be in Malta for 25th, won't you?

Everything closes in Europe for Christmas and for New Year.

Try to look for Christmas lights in the evening before going back ship everyday

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I cannot give you any information as to Christmas on MSC, as I have not experienced that myself. I have done Christmas cruises on Princess. It was nice, but for us, it did not feel like Christmas at home... almost as if we missed the holiday. But I think that comes down to personal preference.

My favorite is to do a cruise over New Year's... you get Christmas at home, then enjoy the holiday decorations onboard, as well as the multiple NYE parties.