Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer - Carnival Excursion

kdmal1

Does anyone have any feedback on this excursion? It is where the smaller, yet still large boat, picks you up and takes you closer to the glaciers. According to the description, "Your captain will make many stops, allowing you incredible opportunities to view and photograph icebergs, cliffs, and wildlife!". It all sounds amazing, but the cost for me and hubby would be $500.00. I don't mind the money if it is as good as the description makes it out to be. Thanks!

We have done a smaller boat tour in Tracy Arm Fjord on two occasions and I would say it is well worth the price. You will see the cliffs, waterfalls, and ice floats along the fjord in a much more up close way, and will also get very close the glacier. We have always been able to get close enough to see the baby and mama seals on the ice floats in front of the glacier. There is a good chance of seeing whales along the way as well - and sometimes even wildlife on the shores, although more rare and not guaranteed. We did see a bear on one trip and mountain goats on another. You will want to have good binoculars. Being up close when the glacier calves is an amazing experience that you will not forget. Sign up before it sells out - because it will. It is totally worth it!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

We have done a smaller boat tour in Tracy Arm Fjord on two occasions and I would say it is well worth the price. You will see the cliffs, waterfalls, and ice floats along the fjord in a much more up close way, and will also get very close the glacier. We have always been able to get close enough to see the baby and mama seals on the ice floats in front of the glacier. There is a good chance of seeing whales along the way as well - and sometimes even wildlife on the shores, although more rare and not guaranteed. We did see a bear on one trip and mountain goats on another. You will want to have good binoculars. Being up close when the glacier calves is an amazing experience that you will not forget. Sign up before it sells out - because it will. It is totally worth it!

Thank you!!  The reviews were all good on the website, but they were very generic. The detail in your reply is what I was wanting to hear. We don't sail until May of 2025, but I am going to go ahead and purchase it.

Thank you again.

• Like 1

I would agree it is worth it. It is one of my favorite excursions. You may see whales, bears, ice bergs, the travel through the fjords in a small boat is priceless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Coral said:

I would agree it is worth it. It is one of my favorite excursions. You may see whales, bears, ice bergs, the travel through the fjords in a small boat is priceless.

I am sold! Thank you. 

54 minutes ago, Crew News said:

One of my favorite excursions for photos.

image.jpeg.ee15c69e0120ca983e126a86bdb93c9b.jpeg

image.jpeg.d510ebfe5c8b5e397002e7f3fb17aba3.jpeg

image.jpeg.8d8108e3d20a03171da3c3e6e1d0fdfc.jpeg

image.jpeg

😳😳😳

oh my goodness!!!! Thank you for posting those. Completely off topic but, what kind of camera did you use for these? They are breathtaking!!!

Just now, kdmal1 said:

😳😳😳

oh my goodness!!!! Thank you for posting those. Completely off topic but, what kind of camera did you use for these? They are breathtaking!!!

I used my mirrorless Olympus EM-1 MKIII.  I will be back on this excursion next month with a new mirrorless Olympus OM-D but same 40-150 mm lens.

If your excursion departs from Juneau, you will observe sea lions on the way.  Of course, the earlier in the Alaska season, the more ice flows you will see.in Tracy Arm.  

image.jpeg.14668d4ff1df4efefe4bc5ea2913e4c6.jpeg

image.jpeg.a87e8fc18193474da8c927e3ba014cd5.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 2:52 PM, Crew News said:

One of my favorite excursions for photos.

image.jpeg.ee15c69e0120ca983e126a86bdb93c9b.jpeg

image.jpeg.d510ebfe5c8b5e397002e7f3fb17aba3.jpeg

image.jpeg.8d8108e3d20a03171da3c3e6e1d0fdfc.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for posting the pictures.  I have this booked for in June but was wondering if I should do something shorter and more active but am going to keep it.

I love the color of the ice!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kat915 said:

Thanks for posting the pictures.  I have this booked for in June but was wondering if I should do something shorter and more active but am going to keep it.

I love the color of the ice!

If you're departing from Juneau, there will be 90 minutes of roundtrip travel that will include a good box lunch and some relaxing time. 

Enjoy this amazing experience.

Last year we did a private tour with Captain Terry White. He took us up the Tracey Arm up close to the glacier. He also pulled the boat up close to waterfalls. To say we were amazed is an understatement.  Here’s his website 

Juneauadventures.com

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 2:50 PM, notalandlover said:

Last year we did a private tour with Captain Terry White. He took us up the Tracey Arm up close to the glacier. He also pulled the boat up close to waterfalls. To say we were amazed is an understatement.  Here’s his website 

Juneauadventures.com

Thank you for this information. I can't wait to check out his website.

Thank you again.

Although not with Carnival, I believe we are taking the similar/equivalent excursion with Princess to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.  Our ship will stop and let a smaller boat for the excursion tender up to the ship to board out in open water and then head into the Endicott Arm/Tracy Fjord area for the tour up the fjords and closer to the glaciers.  Was pricey when we booked on a special with Princess, but I see has now gone up to $350.00/adult and is sold out for our particular cruise.  Glad we booked when we did.

29 minutes ago, Cruise-a-Hallic said:

Although not with Carnival, I believe we are taking the similar/equivalent excursion with Princess to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.  Our ship will stop and let a smaller boat for the excursion tender up to the ship to board out in open water and then head into the Endicott Arm/Tracy Fjord area for the tour up the fjords and closer to the glaciers.  Was pricey when we booked on a special with Princess, but I see has now gone up to $350.00/adult and is sold out for our particular cruise.  Glad we booked when we did.

Yes, yours sounds like the exact same thing. My trip is not until May of 2025, so I know I have a good bit of time, but I am trying to research every option that is out there and get some opinions from others on things that I am on the fence about. I don't want to wait too long though and see "sold out" when I try to book. Thank you and I hope you have a great cruise when you go. 

49 minutes ago, Cruise-a-Hallic said:

I am not sure about the $350/adult price quoted here: i am seeing a staggering $459.95/adult price in my princess app (for this June), which completely makes it a no-go. i'm sure its amazing, but life has many amazing things that won't take $$ like this. You can see that most people are not so crazy about how amazing this experience is going to be at this price point as all 20 tickets are unclaimed for. 

IMG_3626.jpg

9 minutes ago, sharon_pei said:

I am not sure about the $350/adult price quoted here: i am seeing a staggering $459.95/adult price in my princess app (for this June), which completely makes it a no-go. i'm sure its amazing, but life has many amazing things that won't take $$ like this. You can see that most people are not so crazy about how amazing this experience is going to be at this price point as all 20 tickets are unclaimed for. 

IMG_3626.jpg

The boat holds around 150 but most of them likely got it at a cheaper price.

There is no way I would pay $459.95 for this. The one I am talking about doesn't depart from one of our stops (like yours is showing Juneau), we anchor at the Fjord, then a smaller boat picks us up from our ship and takes us close to the glaciers (smaller vessel so they can navigate much closer). I think they still refer to Tracy Arm Fjord as one of our ports, but this is the only excursion that is offered for this stop. 

taf.png

Eeeeek!!  That price does seem outlandish. I can't speak for your particular cruise @ sharon_pei.  Maybe depends on the ship and when the cruise is sailing?  Our excursion does specify Endicott Arm Fjord EN1-660 though and not Tracy Arm.  Maybe that's the difference?  I believe we actually paid around $290.00 per person for this excursion when we booked and now it's showing sold out for our June sailing.

image.png.59f557a1931a46914e0b632b9daf7e1e.png

Posted (edited)

I have done both via small boat. Tracy Arm is better than Endicott Arm IMO. 

Overall - cruise ships can make it to Endicott Arm easier than Tracy Arm due to the twists and turns Tracy Arm has. I prefer the fjords in Tracy Arm - they are more dramatic. Though I would do either again.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1