Hearing MSC won't provide loungers on large aft balconies anymore - true?

LowSeason45

I was in Meraviglia YC in January, butler gave me a firm "no" for getting a lounger on my balcony. Granted that one was a bit small/narrow, but I've read a few posts that pax in the extra-large aft balconies are also being told no, supposedly because it could "scrape the glass." 

I'm on the Meraviglia next month and specifically paid for the (huge) aft balcony to add a lounger. Any recent experience with this for better or for worse? 

....note, this upcoming sailing is NOT YC, just one of the larger "deluxe" Fantastica aft balconies. There should be room - easily - for two loungers plus table and chairs. I just want one. 

I was on Meraviglia in September in an angled balcony cabin that could easily accommodate a lounge.  When I asked the room stewardess it was like no one had ever asked such a thing.  Her supervisor told her to tell us to ask at guest services.  The person manning the desk was also flummoxed by my request and had to ask an officer.  We were told no due to there being a "safety issue" with the lounge hitting the glass.  I guess Aurea and YC lounges behave better, or maybe those upper scale balconies are entitled to better glass?  The table and regular balcony chairs certainly have more of a chance flying around and hitting the glass than a low profile lounge.  So it makes no sense.  But in your case since you are in a regular class cabin, I wouldn't count on getting a lounge.  My plan for our next MSC cruise is to get one of those foldable camping lounges to bring with me.

This has been hit-or-miss for years. Depends entirely on your cabin stew and how much they'll go out of their way to help, is my understanding.

Maybe try to find a deckhand that openly discusses how much they hate MSC and ask them to bring one down for you 😅

For all of you who do not understand that what you want is not always available:

The Captain of the ship determines what is a safety issue and what is not. 

That decision can vary from ship to ship or from embarkation date to embarkation date. Factors that may influence the decision is weather (i.e.; wind speed), sea conditions,  the location of the cabin, and past experience.

Even if loungers and other balcony furniture is provided in certain locations or category rooms, it may not be available for use depending on the factors listed above.

10 hours ago, gizfish said:

My plan for our next MSC cruise is to get one of those foldable camping lounges to bring with me.

I suggest you find and read the MSC Guest Conduct Policy on the MSC website.

It will help you understand why your personal balcony furniture may be denied at security before boarding the ship.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I suggest you find and read the MSC Guest Conduct Policy on the MSC website.

It will help you understand why your personal balcony furniture may be denied at security before boarding the ship.

“Personal balcony furniture”!

We often bring “personal balcony furniture” in the form of a camping chair, have never even had a second look at security.