Best way to get to Brooklyn cruise terminal?

I'm traveling with someone in a wheelchair, and we have a 21 day round trip transatlantic cruise booked. What is the best/cheapest way to get to the cruise port? I'm thinking either drive in and park at the port for the duration (which would be expensive at $45 a night), or take Amtrak to Penn station, and try to figure out how to get from there to the port. I have no idea how to get from Penn station to the port. Should I take the subway? A ferry? Bus? Something else? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone know if there are any hotels around that would let us park there during our voyage?

PS. I can't fly due to health reasons.

11 hours ago, Twinkletoes20355 said:

I'm traveling with someone in a wheelchair, and we have a 21 day round trip transatlantic cruise booked. What is the best/cheapest way to get to the cruise port? I'm thinking either drive in and park at the port for the duration (which would be expensive at $45 a night), or take Amtrak to Penn station, and try to figure out how to get from there to the port. I have no idea how to get from Penn station to the port. Should I take the subway? A ferry? Bus? Something else? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Does anyone know if there are any hotels around that would let us park there during our voyage?

PS. I can't fly due to health reasons.

Don't even think about taking subways and busses with someone who is in a wheelchair. 

There aren't hotels anywhere near the  Brooklyn cruise terminal with park/cruise packages. 

Where are you traveling from ? If it's not terribly far away...for example New Jersey, the Philadelphia area or somewhere in nearby  Connecticut you may want to check the price of car services directly from your home to Brooklyn. 

If you take Amtrak your best options to get from Penn Station to the cruise terminal are probably Uber or a car service such as Carmel Limo or Dial 7. You have to be sure to book a vehicle that  an accommodate the wheelchair. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. This is turning into a nightmare for my wheelchair bound disabled son...we live in Illinois so that's why I thought of coming in on Amtrak. I also thought about driving and parking at one of the airports and hiring a ride to the port. It's MUCH cheaper parking at the airport. This shouldn't be this hard for the disabled.

Unfortunately the subways here in NYC are so far from being accessible, it's shameful.

If you do come into Penn Station, I would recommend taking a taxi to the Port.  Just be sure you get an actual yellow cab, or Uber or Lyft. There will be signs showing you where to go and if you get red cap assistance, they should take you to the curb to get a taxi.

We do have some wheelchair taxis that your son could stay in his wheelchair but I am not sure how you get one of those except for random luck? I did just google it and got this website with instructions, I've never tried it though. https://www.nyc.gov/site/tlc/about/accessible-dispatch.page

If your son can get out of his wheelchair and into a car, then any taxi should have room for luggage and the wheelchair.

I've lived in the city for 30 years and never used an actual car service like Dial 7 or Carmel but I still see the ads on TV so I know they do still exist.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:18 PM, Twinkletoes20355 said:

This is turning into a nightmare for my wheelchair bound disabled son...we live in Illinois so that's why I thought of coming in on Amtrak. I also thought about driving and parking at one of the airports and hiring a ride to the port. It's MUCH cheaper parking at the airport. This shouldn't be this hard for the disabled.

It doesn't have to be a nightmare-- you have really three main choices. You can fly, take the train, or drive. I agree that driving will be a lot and that long term parking like that will be expensive for a 21 day cruise-- it's usually justifiable on a 7-10 day trip when compared to alternative travel options. 

Amtrak is the interesting one here. Depending where in Illinois you are you could take the Lakeshore Limited overnight-- they offer accessible rooms and the train originates in Chicago and terminates at New York Penn so there won't be the stress of trying to board or disembark in a time crunch. Red Caps can be arranged at both stations to take care of your luggage and assist onboard. Meals can be delivered to your room. 

Once in NYC you can use Uber to provide a wheelchair accessible van to go anywhere but a trip from New York Penn to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal will be $50-60. The train isn't dramatically more expensive than flying but it does take an overnight on each end. If you do use the train I would really recommend coming in the day before the cruise-- it's rare that the Lakeshore Limited is cancelled outright but it can occasionally run hours late. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Twinkletoes20355 said:

taxi isn't an option unless it has wheelchair accessibility because he's in a 400 lb power chair. I've seen companies that can accommodate if booked ahead of time. Thanks so much for the feedback though. 

There are wheelchair accessible taxis in NYC by law, but they aren't always easy to find-- I think there is a way to arrange in advance but I have no experience with this.

Like I said above, you can use Uber to provide you with a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle that will have a ramp just by using the app and the pricing is nearly identical to a regular Uber. 

https://www.uber.com/us/en/ride/uberwav/

15 hours ago, Twinkletoes20355 said:

taxi isn't an option unless it has wheelchair accessibility because he's in a 400 lb power chair. I've seen companies that can accommodate if booked ahead of time. Thanks so much for the feedback though. 

Did you look at this website?

https://www.nyc.gov/site/tlc/about/accessible-dispatch.page

They do have a way to order a wheelchair taxi that you can roll/drive the wheelchair into. I'm not sure the size limitations of the chairs though, so it would probably be best to book ahead of time.

Uber and Lyft are required to have WAV or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles. In their app scroll down towards the bottom you will see WAV as an option once in NYC. You will probably have to wait longer but T&LC requires them to be available. Other options above as well.