Please Assist With Alaska Cruise

MtnSeaGirl

On 4/16/2024 at 8:03 PM, Coral said:

I would budget for shore excursions on the cruise also. You don't want to be stuck in port towns. Look through these and see what interests you and then budget for them. Also this may help you decide which ports you like also. Many one way cruises include 2 glacier days (as opposed to just one) -I would aim for that. I personally think Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay would probably be my choices though Glacier Bay is #1 because it is always accessible and is a National Park.

BTW - I thought I would never like Alaska and only went because we got a free cruise. I much prefer Alaska to the Caribbean any day.

Will try to include a few port activites for sure; just not the big ticket ones.  Putting that in the land tour this time...."this time" LOL  You guys may be talking me into more than one trip!  Hubbard and Glacier Bay going on the must do list.  We have done the Carib a lot.  Not as lot as some of you but we are repeating islands.  Time to do something different.   I look at the sandglass of time and wish I had done this earlier.  We still have good years left we hope .Just not as many as we  had.  Guess that is generating my bucket list activation lately.  

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 8:58 PM, oaktreerb said:

Holland America has the D5L which begins with an overnight in Fairbanks and a bus ride to Denali, two nights in Denali with the Tundra wilderness Tour, scenic train to Anchorage overnight, scenic train to Whittier to join the ship.  If you start in Anchorage and go to Denali you have to return to Anchorage to join the ship in Whittier.

The bus ride from Fairbanks to Denali is maybe 4 hours, between Denali and Anchorage whether bus or train is a full day.   I think this itinerary would be the best use of your 3-4 days. @MtnSeaGirl

Will certainly look HA DL5 up.  Sounds great.  I want to be able to take a Fjord cruise, and that may not be in this one....and that's OK.  It is def more of Alaska than I have ever seen!  I really appreciate your sound advice of the best use of three to four days.  Def train for Den to Anchor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

Will try to include a few port activites for sure; just not the big ticket ones.  Putting that in the land tour this time...."this time" LOL  You guys may be talking me into more than one trip!  Hubbard and Glacier Bay going on the must do list.  We have done the Carib a lot.  Not as lot as some of you but we are repeating islands.  Time to do something different.   I look at the sandglass of time and wish I had done this earlier.  We still have good years left we hope .Just not as many as we  had.  Guess that is generating my bucket list activation lately.  

Just realize "average" shore excursions are much more expensive than the Caribbean. A lot of individuals are shocked at the prices after they book and expect shore excursion prices to be similar to the Caribbean. They definitely are not. You have time to budget for them. I would start looking at them because if you just walk off the ship and stay in the port towns you may see a lot of jewelry stores. IMO - the best part of Alaska ports are not in the port towns, but outside the port towns.

• Like 4

On 4/16/2024 at 9:09 PM, Coral said:

If you are only doing 3-4 nights on land - I would skip Fairbanks. That is too far to go IMO for that short of trip.

I would be tempted to do it on my own. Rent a car and do Alyeska (Girdwood) and Seward.

Will look into the car rental as well as some recommended line sponsored tours . DH looked today as a mock booking .Just 2 days in Anchor was $ 700 for a car.  He did not price additional days when he got to that.  Verdict def not out yet.  

On 4/16/2024 at 9:10 PM, oaktreerb said:

It’s intimidating because there are a lot of choices.  The first time we went to Alaska we did a 10-11 day cruise tour.  i wanted to see Glacier Bay, Denali, and the Matanuska Valley.  Our TA chose a great HAL short cruise tour for us that took us from Fairbanks to Denali to Anchorage to the ship in Seward at that time.  We have been back many times over the years!  

You nailed it on INTIMIDATING. I can plan the Carib in my sleep.  Ironic, isn't it?  Something in the US scared me more than out of the US.  BUT, I picked up all my Carib savvy right here on Cruise Critic.  I WILL conquer Alaska as well.  Just want to get it halfway right the first time.  LOL  

• Like 3

On 4/16/2024 at 9:22 PM, Coral said:

Alaska by Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond is a great book to get a feel for Alaska planning.

Will do and THANK YOU!  Opening a new tab on the computer to order now.  

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 12:16 AM, jean-lynd said:

Princess and HAL have cruised Alaska the longest so they tend to have the best itineraries and longest port stays.

Thank you!  Will certainly give both a looksy and see what they have to offer.  I like the idea of longer port stays.  

On 4/17/2024 at 6:43 PM, afn10305 said:

Ditto for us Florida folks MtnSeaGirl!  We are experienced cruisers, but first time considering Alaska, so are having trouble trying to figure out what will work best for us.  We're planning for summer 2025 and want to maximize our travel there.

So...you will do a nice post cruise trip report on Cruise Critic, and I will say THANK YOU in advance.  Are we blessed to have so many good tips on this board?  

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2024 at 6:35 PM, afn10305 said:

Thank you for this info oaktreerb.  We're in the talking stages of our first-ever Alaska cruise and possible land tour for summer 2025, so will be following these forums as well.

Hey, how about doing a trip report when you return?  Would love to read about what you did.  

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

Just realize "average" shore excursions are much more expensive than the Caribbean. A lot of individuals are shocked at the prices after they book and expect shore excursion prices to be similar to the Caribbean. They definitely are not. You have time to budget for them. I would start looking at them because if you just walk off the ship and stay in the port towns you may see a lot of jewelry stores. IMO - the best part of Alaska ports are not in the port towns, but outside the port towns.

I have been looking at those.  They are pricey, but you get what you pay for: the Alaskan experience. There is only one Alasksa; there is a lot of Carib Islands.  I will have to pick and choose for sure, but we do plan to do some.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, libtrek said:

Well, we leave in about a week and a half. Because hubs has Alzheimer’s it makes our cruise different than most. I try to simplify everything. The itinerary the Jewell follows is great scenery most of the way, so if we don’t move around much, we still have something to look at. We too are Sapphire so enjoy the extra fancy dinners and free laundry. I can pack less which makes things easier. Any specific questions? Mary Lou

Wishing you a wonderful cruise and lost of memory making!  

22 minutes ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

You nailed it on INTIMIDATING. I can plan the Carib in my sleep.  Ironic, isn't it?  Something in the US scared me more than out of the US.  BUT, I picked up all my Carib savvy right here on Cruise Critic.  I WILL conquer Alaska as well.  Just want to get it halfway right the first time.  LOL  

You have plenty of time 🙂 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 8:06 PM, libtrek said:

Well, we leave in about a week and a half. Because hubs has Alzheimer’s it makes our cruise different than most. I try to simplify everything. The itinerary the Jewell follows is great scenery most of the way, so if we don’t move around much, we still have something to look at. We too are Sapphire so enjoy the extra fancy dinners and free laundry. I can pack less which makes things easier. Any specific questions? Mary Lou

I don't know what to ask. My hubby is still working so it's trying to fit something into a certain time frame (for him to take PTO) to start, and then figuring out from where to cruise and whether or not to add a land tour first.  I've read a lot about how much time is spent on transport for the land tours so we're already reconsidering that. 

Obviously there is just too much in Alaska to do just one cruise.  We had been shying away from Alaska for many years because for our money and time, it's about equal going to Europe from where we live. I much prefer Europe, but my hubs wants to visit cousins in Colorado for a couple of days either going or coming, and attaching a cruise trip to that made Alaska a natural choice. 

I guess I would appreciate it if you could come back here after your cruise and give some thoughts and opinions about how it went. 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

So...you will do a nice post cruise trip report on Cruise Critic, and I will say THANK YOU in advance.  Are we blessed to have so many good tips on this board?  

My hubby is usually the one that likes to write reviews. I think we need to book one first! 🤣

• Like 1

I’ve been on many Alaskan cruises (Disney, NCL, Princess and HAL) and land trips over the past ten years.  Our favorite cruise lines for Alaska are Princess and HAL.  I think their enrichment programs are much better than other cruise lines.  Here’s a link to HAL’s 2024 Alaskan Experience:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/news/2024/April/news-041724-holland-america-line-set-to-debut-new-glacier-day-alaska-experiences.  This should give you an idea of what HAL offers; Princess offers similar programs.

If you can spare the time, I would look into a DIY trip in Alaska.  Take a northbound or southbound cruise.  As mentioned earlier by Coral, focusing on the Kenai peninsula would be a great option.  Seward is wonderful and there are a lot of things to experience.  I think a rental car is a must if you’re heading to Denali for a DIY but you can get by without a car in Seward.  

This summer we’re spending 11 weeks in Alaska—8 weeks cruising and 3 weeks of DIY land trips in Alaska/Yukon.  Cruising only on HAL and Princess.  Our Alaskan obsession started with a 7 day cruise!

Enjoy your planning.  You have plenty of time to research and see what’s important to you and yours.  For us, on our first trip to Alaska in 2012, it was sled dogs (our girls were 8 and 10! 🤣).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

This summer we’re spending 11 weeks in Alaska—8 weeks cruising and 3 weeks of DIY land trips in Alaska/Yukon.  Cruising only on HAL and Princess.  Our Alaskan obsession started with a 7 day cruise!

Wow! Have a blast!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, disneyochem said:

I’ve been on many Alaskan cruises (Disney, NCL, Princess and HAL) and land trips over the past ten years.  Our favorite cruise lines for Alaska are Princess and HAL.  I think their enrichment programs are much better than other cruise lines.  Here’s a link to HAL’s 2024 Alaskan Experience:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/news/2024/April/news-041724-holland-america-line-set-to-debut-new-glacier-day-alaska-experiences.  This should give you an idea of what HAL offers; Princess offers similar programs.

If you can spare the time, I would look into a DIY trip in Alaska.  Take a northbound or southbound cruise.  As mentioned earlier by Coral, focusing on the Kenai peninsula would be a great option.  Seward is wonderful and there are a lot of things to experience.  I think a rental car is a must if you’re heading to Denali for a DIY but you can get by without a car in Seward.  

Enjoy your planning.  You have plenty of time to research and see what’s important to you and yours.  For us, on our first trip to Alaska in 2012, it was sled dogs (our girls were 8 and 10! 🤣).

Green eyed jealous...I mean genuniely happy for you.  Talk about memory making!  Jusy looking at some of the DIY, I have become increasingly convinced this will not be a one and done trip for us (God willing).  I do admit, I also want to spend some time in the coming years on cruises in Greece, Italy, Spain,  Land trip to Ireland/Scotland.  Would love to see Austria as well.  I wish I had not spent the number of cruises in the Carib but they seemed good at the time...and still do...just wish I had been a little wiser.  Thinking about cancelling our 8 day in the Carib next March and utilizing that $ for one of my other bucket list trips.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

Jusy looking at some of the DIY, I have become increasingly convinced this will not be a one and done trip for us (God willing).  I do admit, I also want to spend some time in the coming years on cruises in Greece, Italy, Spain,  Land trip to Ireland/Scotland.  Would love to see Austria as well.  I wish I had not spent the number of cruises in the Carib but they seemed good at the time...and still do...just wish I had been a little wiser.  Thinking about cancelling our 8 day in the Carib next March and utilizing that $ for one of my other bucket list trips.  

I have to say I did many Caribbean cruises also so you are not alone. I had a friend who had done Alaska and I wondered why he loved Alaska. I only went because I had a free trip as "I would never pay to go to Alaska". Well - Alaska has sold me and I will pick Alaska over the Caribbean time over time. Honestly I can't remember the last time I was in the Caribbean as I have been cruising elsewhere including Alaska.

My first trip to Alaska for in 2002.

Alaska has changed a lot. Glaciers have retreated quite a bit. Also, the ports now seem over run as the cruise ships coming now are much larger and more ships are coming. Thus, I encourage you to get out of the port towns.

Have fun planning. Very few people do not love Alaska. The good thing is that you have plenty of time to plan. Alaska also attracts a lot of people who are not cruisers but want to see Alaska so there are plenty of new cruisers on the ships also.

• Like 2

libtrek, I traveled with DH a couple of times after he was diagnosed with ALZ. He loved Alaska and the ship tours were easier for him. His doctor gave me lots of hints on how to keep him safe and enjoying the trip. We cruised Alaska ten times! My prayers are with you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

Green eyed jealous...I mean genuniely happy for you.  Talk about memory making!  Jusy looking at some of the DIY, I have become increasingly convinced this will not be a one and done trip for us (God willing).  I do admit, I also want to spend some time in the coming years on cruises in Greece, Italy, Spain,  Land trip to Ireland/Scotland.  Would love to see Austria as well.  I wish I had not spent the number of cruises in the Carib but they seemed good at the time...and still do...just wish I had been a little wiser.  Thinking about cancelling our 8 day in the Carib next March and utilizing that $ for one of my other bucket list trips.  

Living on the West Coast, Alaska is like our Caribbean!  Easy to get to!  And, never gets old.

I teach at a university so am limited to when I have time off.  Getting close to retirement so most of my professional duties are being picked up by new non-tenured faculty!  Starting to cruise more further afield —next summer is Northern Europe in addition to Alaska.

Alaska is huge and so diverse—one can and does spend years exploring and experiencing the state!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gsel said:

libtrek, I traveled with DH a couple of times after he was diagnosed with ALZ. He loved Alaska and the ship tours were easier for him. His doctor gave me lots of hints on how to keep him safe and enjoying the trip. We cruised Alaska ten times! My prayers are with you!

Thank you, thank you for the encouragement. Many of my family and friends are saying are you nuts? My guy loves Alaska too and for the most part we are taking ship tours. I have an Apple Watch on him that allows me to track wherever he is. I also put a Christmas ornament with jingle bells on the door that rings like crazy whenever the door is open, we are actually doing a B2B cruise so he can settle in better. Again, thank you for the kind thoughts. 

• Like 2

Remember to care for yourself too. The bells on the door was one of the hints I received, it works!  Also, I put a battery operating night light in the hall and bathroom. If I can help in any way just ask! 

• Like 2

Been three times, two were just a round trip.  They did not even compare to one way glacier fiords with Princess.

we did land tour for 5 days afterwards 

whole family loved the attention Princess gives.  National Park ranger gave talks, not to be missed on ship.  Baby huskies brought onboard. Kids had to do excursion afterward 

my 8 yr old grand loved their camp and the stuffies they gave out.  (She NEVER goes to camp on Caribbean cruises)

only thing I would have done different would to land first so I could rest on way home.

Princess is the best, NCL, then Royal 

C.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, syrupcity said:

Been three times, two were just a round trip.  They did not even compare to one way glacier fiords with Princess.

we did land tour for 5 days afterwards 

whole family loved the attention Princess gives.  National Park ranger gave talks, not to be missed on ship.  Baby huskies brought onboard. Kids had to do excursion afterward 

my 8 yr old grand loved their camp and the stuffies they gave out.  (She NEVER goes to camp on Caribbean cruises)

only thing I would have done different would to land first so I could rest on way home.

Princess is the best, NCL, then Royal 

C.

I would agree with you about the one ways are so much better than round trip Seattle cruises.

Last year I did an 11 night round trip Vancouver with Princess and that was great as we had the extra days. Doing a 7 night round trip out of Vancouver is better than Seattle but still not as good as 7 nights one way. Having the 11 nights allowed for long port days and hitting extra ports than normal cruises. Though they are not doing those this year.

• Like 2