Please Assist With Alaska Cruise

MtnSeaGirl

On 4/19/2024 at 7:18 AM, Coral said:

I have to say I did many Caribbean cruises also so you are not alone. I had a friend who had done Alaska and I wondered why he loved Alaska. I only went because I had a free trip as "I would never pay to go to Alaska". Well - Alaska has sold me and I will pick Alaska over the Caribbean time over time. Honestly I can't remember the last time I was in the Caribbean as I have been cruising elsewhere including Alaska.

My first trip to Alaska for in 2002.

Alaska has changed a lot. Glaciers have retreated quite a bit. Also, the ports now seem over run as the cruise ships coming now are much larger and more ships are coming. Thus, I encourage you to get out of the port towns.

Have fun planning. Very few people do not love Alaska. The good thing is that you have plenty of time to plan. Alaska also attracts a lot of people who are not cruisers but want to see Alaska so there are plenty of new cruisers on the ships also.

We are getting very excited!  Part of the fun of travel for us is in the planning, but I had balked at planning this one until all the great responses here.  I spent a little time last night looking online.  I think we can do a partial self drive with a couple trains thrown in.  DH has always wanted to go, but I wanted tropics....and the east coast made the Carib easier for us and obviously more cost efficient.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:56 AM, disneyochem said:

Living on the West Coast, Alaska is like our Caribbean!  Easy to get to!  And, never gets old.

I teach at a university so am limited to when I have time off.  Getting close to retirement so most of my professional duties are being picked up by new non-tenured faculty!  Starting to cruise more further afield —next summer is Northern Europe in addition to Alaska.

Alaska is huge and so diverse—one can and does spend years exploring and experiencing the state!

East Coast over here so the opposite of the Carib being easiesr.  DH has limited time off at his job.  We are using planning trips far in advance as the carrot to keep us going the last few years prior to retirement AND we enjoy the planning or did until hit Alaska. I am coming to feel more sure about Alaska and DIY after reading the posts here.   Northern Europe.  Keen to do Europe in retirement. Please make sure you post about it with details.  This is how I learn.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, syrupcity said:

Been three times, two were just a round trip.  They did not even compare to one way glacier fiords with Princess.

we did land tour for 5 days afterwards 

whole family loved the attention Princess gives.  National Park ranger gave talks, not to be missed on ship.  Baby huskies brought onboard. Kids had to do excursion afterward 

my 8 yr old grand loved their camp and the stuffies they gave out.  (She NEVER goes to camp on Caribbean cruises)

only thing I would have done different would to land first so I could rest on way home.

Princess is the best, NCL, then Royal 

C.

I had not considered Princess until this thread.  Beginnig to look at them and Holland Amer also.  These boards are priceless to keep us from making mistakes.  Thank you !

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 12:52 PM, MtnSeaGirl said:

I had not considered Princess until this thread.  Beginnig to look at them and Holland Amer also.  These boards are priceless to keep us from making mistakes.  Thank you !

We’ve done Alaska on both Princess and Holland. Liked Princess way better. Found Holland to be kind of stuffy.

• Like 1

You did not say what month you are thinking of.  September in Fairbanks could mean seeing The Northern Lights.  Don’t discard Fairbanks so quickly.  Holland tour D5c 

The downside to DYI is someone has to drive on unfamiliar roads, will that person really enjoy the scenery if they are focused on the roads?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, maggiev said:

You did not say what month you are thinking of.  September in Fairbanks could mean seeing The Northern Lights.  Don’t discard Fairbanks so quickly.  Holland tour D5c 

The downside to DYI is someone has to drive on unfamiliar roads, will that person really enjoy the scenery if they are focused on the roads?

I have friends who have seen Northern Lights on a 7 night RT cruise out of Vancouver in September. No land trip. So Fairbanks isn't a requirement for Northern Lights.

If someone is only doing 3-4 nights land, Fairbanks is really far to go. Too much transportation, not enough time to see things if going to Fairbanks for that short of time.

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2024 at 7:14 AM, MtnSeaGirl said:

Green eyed jealous...I mean genuniely happy for you.  Talk about memory making!  Jusy looking at some of the DIY, I have become increasingly convinced this will not be a one and done trip for us (God willing).  I do admit, I also want to spend some time in the coming years on cruises in Greece, Italy, Spain,  Land trip to Ireland/Scotland.  Would love to see Austria as well.  I wish I had not spent the number of cruises in the Carib but they seemed good at the time...and still do...just wish I had been a little wiser.  Thinking about cancelling our 8 day in the Carib next March and utilizing that $ for one of my other bucket list trips.  

@MtnSeaGirl it seems like we have similar cruising sensibilities. 🥰

After so many cruises to the Caribbean we're now thinking like "you've seen one island, you've seen 'em all!" I mean how many monkeys or sloths can I hold, how many times do I want to hear "lady, lady-- let me braid your hair?!"  🤣  Don't get me wrong, cruising anywhere is still our vacay of choice, but we are now on the hunt for something different.

We have some Europe/Mediterranean under our cruising belts, but the bucket list seems to be growing longer. Have even been dreaming about a transpacific or Asian cruises.  While my husband is still working it's a little more challenging to plan any kind of travel and he doesn't have a job that allows for "summers off". 

We have some cruising buddies who live in Seattle, so they have done Alaska many times and we asked their opinions too. That's our other *kink* in the thought process of WHERE to cruise FROM since we've never been to Seattle either and we could potentially meet up with our friends there first.  OH, the decisions... 🤔

decisions.gif

Edited by afn10305

8 hours ago, Coral said:

If someone is only doing 3-4 nights land, Fairbanks is really far to go. Too much transportation, not enough time to see things if going to Fairbanks for that short of time.

The idea would be to fly into Fairbanks, bus to Denali, train to Anchorage, train or bus to Whittier to join the ship.  Yes, it would be too far for someone who starts their itinerary in Anchorage as it would require backtracking and a waste of travel rime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

The idea would be to fly into Fairbanks, bus to Denali, train to Anchorage, train or bus to Whittier to join the ship.  Yes, it would be too far for someone who starts their itinerary in Anchorage as it would require backtracking and a waste of travel rime.

Or cruise north to Whittier, train to Anchorage, train to Denali, motorcoach to Fairbanks.  Is it a busy 4 days yes, but is it worth it, Absolutely 

• Like 2

I am going to post my itinerary to give you some ideas.  Note, this is my 2nd Alaskan Cruise and the 1st was 12 years ago.  So I am NOT experienced.  So take this with a grain of salt.

Cruising Holland America MS Noordam Southbound   Whitter to Vancouver

6/13   Fly into Anchorage and stay the night.  Actually flying in at 1:45 AM on 6/14 and sleeping a few hours.

6/14   Go back to the Airport for a car rental for 2 days

6/14   Driving to Seward.  Stopping at multiple stops on the way including Sightseeing on Turnagain Arm, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier Cruise, and other various points to stop and gawk.  I like to take pictures so will be stopping a lot :).   

6/14   Hotel in Seward for 2 nights

6/15   Kenai Fjords cruise.  Taking the 8-hour Northwestern Fjord cruise

6/16   Drive back to Anchorage and drop off the car

6/16   Get on a tour that will end up at the cruise docks.  Stops include the same spots on Turnagain Arm, Lunch in Ayleska including a tram ride to the top.  Another stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center, and then on to Whittier to get on the ship

6/17   Cruise by Hubbard Glacier

6/18   Cruise Glacier Bay (I loved it 12 years ago and consider this a must for any Alaskan cruise)

6/19   Skagway:  Taking a bus/train trip all the way into the Yukon and back

6/20   Juneau:  Whale Watching and then walking around town

6/21   Ketchikan:  Walking around town

6/22   Sea Day

6/23   Arrive in Vancouver.  Hop on a bus to Seattle because flights out of Vancouver are insane.  Or I am just cheap.

6/23  Stay the night in Seattle and maybe go down to the waterfront in the evening.

6/24  Fly Home.

So I have a do it yourself land portion that I am really excited about.  I have read reports that the Kenai Fjords is an awesome time and a highlight of a cruise when it isn't even on the cruise.

Also, if you have the time read this thread if you have not.  Lots of great discussions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I still think it is too much transit time and not enough time to do things by going to Fairbanks for 3 nights land trip. I think the time is better spent not going that far North. I have heard from several who have done it and they wish they had skipped Fairbanks. I get that. I would only include Fairbanks if I had 7 nights.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, afn10305 said:

We have some cruising buddies who live in Seattle, so they have done Alaska many times and we asked their opinions too. That's our other *kink* in the thought process of WHERE to cruise FROM since we've never been to Seattle either and we could potentially meet up with our friends there first.  OH, the decisions... 🤔

90% of the cruises from Seattle spend less time in ports and usually only have 1 glacier day (one extra sea day of not viewing much) verses if you cruise from Vancouver one way North. I look at Seattle 7 night RT cruises and they just don't interest me. They are not in port very long. The only exception would be if you can find an 11 or 14 night RT Seattle cruise.

You can easily take a one way cruise and still spend time in Seattle. Many cruise lines will do a transfer from Seattle airport to Vancouver pier.

I have friends in Seattle who have done several Alaska cruises from Seattle. They don't go to Vancouver because Seattle is easy for them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Coral said:

90% of the cruises from Seattle spend less time in ports and usually only have 1 glacier day (one extra sea day of not viewing much) verses if you cruise from Vancouver one way North. I look at Seattle 7 night RT cruises and they just don't interest me. They are not in port very long. The only exception would be if you can find an 11 or 14 night RT Seattle cruise.

You can easily take a one way cruise and still spend time in Seattle. Many cruise lines will do a transfer from Seattle airport to Vancouver pier.

I have friends in Seattle who have done several Alaska cruises from Seattle. They don't go to Vancouver because Seattle is easy for them.

Thank you for this insight. 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 7:14 AM, MtnSeaGirl said:

Green eyed jealous...I mean genuniely happy for you.  Talk about memory making!  Jusy looking at some of the DIY, I have become increasingly convinced this will not be a one and done trip for us (God willing).  I do admit, I also want to spend some time in the coming years on cruises in Greece, Italy, Spain,  Land trip to Ireland/Scotland.  Would love to see Austria as well.  I wish I had not spent the number of cruises in the Carib but they seemed good at the time...and still do...just wish I had been a little wiser.  Thinking about cancelling our 8 day in the Carib next March and utilizing that $ for one of my other bucket list trips.  

Agreeing with you here on wasting time in the Caribbean. LOL.. We're taking our first Alaskan cruise in July and I am still planning..no excursions yet so I need to get in gear. We're also going to Italy in the fall. I wish we had done European travel much earlier, but it didn't seem feesible financially at the time.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SirTomster said:

I am going to post my itinerary to give you some ideas.  Note, this is my 2nd Alaskan Cruise and the 1st was 12 years ago.  So I am NOT experienced.  So take this with a grain of salt.

Cruising Holland America MS Noordam Southbound   Whitter to Vancouver

6/13   Fly into Anchorage and stay the night.  Actually flying in at 1:45 AM on 6/14 and sleeping a few hours.

6/14   Go back to the Airport for a car rental for 2 days

6/14   Driving to Seward.  Stopping at multiple stops on the way including Sightseeing on Turnagain Arm, Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier Cruise, and other various points to stop and gawk.  I like to take pictures so will be stopping a lot :).   

6/14   Hotel in Seward for 2 nights

6/15   Kenai Fjords cruise.  Taking the 8-hour Northwestern Fjord cruise

6/16   Drive back to Anchorage and drop off the car

6/16   Get on a tour that will end up at the cruise docks.  Stops include the same spots on Turnagain Arm, Lunch in Ayleska including a tram ride to the top.  Another stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center, and then on to Whittier to get on the ship

6/17   Cruise by Hubbard Glacier

6/18   Cruise Glacier Bay (I loved it 12 years ago and consider this a must for any Alaskan cruise)

6/19   Skagway:  Taking a bus/train trip all the way into the Yukon and back

6/20   Juneau:  Whale Watching and then walking around town

6/21   Ketchikan:  Walking around town

6/22   Sea Day

6/23   Arrive in Vancouver.  Hop on a bus to Seattle because flights out of Vancouver are insane.  Or I am just cheap.

6/23  Stay the night in Seattle and maybe go down to the waterfront in the evening.

6/24  Fly Home.

So I have a do it yourself land portion that I am really excited about.  I have read reports that the Kenai Fjords is an awesome time and a highlight of a cruise when it isn't even on the cruise.

Also, if you have the time read this thread if you have not.  Lots of great discussions.

I love this!  

So, the Kenai Fjord Tours. I have read some reviews ( not on this site ) that the water can get rather rough considering the much smaller boat and many get sick that are not normally sick on cruise ships . Yet, I really am intritgued by the longer tour with Fox Island. Anyone have experience on this tour?  Looking at June.  As always, weather can occur at any time.  

1 hour ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

So, the Kenai Fjord Tours. I have read some reviews ( not on this site ) that the water can get rather rough considering the much smaller boat and many get sick that are not normally sick on cruise ships . Yet, I really am intritgued by the longer tour with Fox Island. Anyone have experience on this tour?  Looking at June.  As always, weather can occur at any time.  

My recommendation is to take Major Marine’s 8.5 hour Northwestern Fjord Tour.  The longer you are on the water = more wildlife sightings!  And the scenery is fantastic—fjords, glaciers!  Yes, it can be a bit choppy—I experienced that as well as one where the seas were very calm!

I have actually stayed a few nights on Fox Island.  Had friends who were on the Fox Island Dinner/Cruise combo with Kenai Fjords Tours so we walked over to meet them during dinner.  Not impressed—it’s a buffet.  Food was meh.  After dinner, folks then just hung around the gift store and the pier until it was time to leave.  You do not have much access to Fox Island.  There’s a “gate” (a rope between two wood posts) and staff stops people from going to the lodge/beach.

• Like 1

Have you considered a land sea option.  We did a land sea with my parents who had previously done the land via RV and sea.  This time we did the Land via train and the sea.  The land is exhausting but exhilarating.  The land via train you pack and unpack at every stop.  In the end though they have a place where you can mail a lot of your unneeded items and souvenirs back to your home.  Denali is a must... it is fun and beautiful.  We saw every kind of animal possible, even lynx cubs which the bus driver (of more than 20 years there) had never seen.  I suggest Land first then cruise back down to relax and unwind.  There is tons of stuff to do for all ages.  My parents were in their late 60's, we were in our 40's and our daughter was 9. 

Now if you are sailing with others make sure you get balconies and on opposite sides of the ship.   This worked great for us - when the action was on one side we didn't miss it!  We even were able to see a glacier calving (shedding its ice).  It was fabulous.    We went during the summer and it was unseasonably warm there - upper 70's.  The land hotels are not equipped for that so there was much fan use.  No biggie- like camping.  Watch the weather and pack accordingly. Fortunately our parents told us to pack for all seasons and layer.  As far as your ship - it really doesn't matter much - you don't need the go-carts and water slides - the action is outside.  Many ships have guest speakers that give talks about the next day what to look for, they were very good.  Don't forget your binoculars.  Enjoy.  We can't wait to go again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

Loving all this advice!  So, another question:  Denali - Natural History Tour or Tundra Wilderness Tour?  I think I have heard Tundra Wilderness is the way to go????

The longer and further you go into the park, the greater the possibility of seeing wildlife!

Yes, try to get on the Tundra Wilderness—there are rest stops about every 90 minutes, narration, snack box (but you can bring a lunch), monitors on board for wildlife viewing (driver will use a scope and show it to the bus).  

• Like 1