Back to Back Cruises from Southampton - Different Ships

DamianG

Hi all

Has anyone ever done back to back cruises on different ships from Southampton? I have half an idea to do a week on one ship, disembark, then embark another same day (obviously from a different dock). 

I know that @daiB has completed many back to back sailings. Any advice Dai?

It's just an idea for now but I would be interested to hear anyone's experiences of swapping ships same day in Southampton.

Thanks

Damian

• Like 1

We've done this, disembarked one ship as usual, then embarked later in the day as usual.   We didn't get any benefits from P&O or assistance if that's what you were wanting to know.  It was pre "c" 

• Thanks 1

Is this called side to side?  Are the cruise ships with the same cruise line?  Just wondering what would happen if one or other of the ships were delayed getting into Southampton.

16 hours ago, DamianG said:

Hi all

Has anyone ever done back to back cruises on different ships from Southampton? I have half an idea to do a week on one ship, disembark, then embark another same day (obviously from a different dock). 

I know that @daiB has completed many back to back sailings. Any advice Dai?

It's just an idea for now but I would be interested to hear anyone's experiences of swapping ships same day in Southampton.

Thanks

Damian

I did this two or three times when I stopped working and cruised quite a lot a few years ago. I never hit any problems. If booked on Select price (or whatever it was called back then) I still got the 10% off both cruises back to back discount. One time the two P&O ships were berthed very close to each other so I just walked from one to the other.  Another time an Entertainment Officer I'd met at solo coffee chat was moving between my two ships the same day so he insisted I share his taxi which was all paid for on expenses.  I had a great time on all my back to back cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the replies. We’ve now found an opportunity to sail on back to back cruises on the same ship (Iona) so are shopping around for the best price. 

Staying onboard between cruises when most others are disembarking & embarking sounds like a unique thing to do, and we’ve love to hear anyone else’s experiences of this.

Edited by DamianG

10 minutes ago, DamianG said:

We’ve now found an opportunity to sail on back to back cruises on the same ship (Iona) so are shopping around for the best price. 

Staying onboard between cruises when most others are disembarking & embarking sounds like a unique thing to do,

Hope you enjoy your cruise Damien . We did two weeks on the Azura and due to those 

on for just a week ,you get to see those leaving and the new ones arrive .

For a few hours in between the ship became very peaceful and nice to walk around ,

even the buffet was calm but only until the coaches began to arrive with folk.

You get to hear the captains welcome /goodbye speeches again through the PA .

Hope you enjoy 

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

Hope you enjoy your cruise Damien . We did two weeks on the Azura and due to those 

on for just a week ,you get to see those leaving and the new ones arrive .

For a few hours in between the ship became very peaceful and nice to walk around ,

even the buffet was calm but only until the coaches began to arrive with folk.

You get to hear the captains welcome /goodbye speeches again through the PA .

Hope you enjoy 

Thanks Kalos, it’s also occurred to me that I’ll have the launderette to myself! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Thanks for all the replies. We’ve now found an opportunity to sail on back to back cruises on the same ship (Iona) so are shopping around for the best price. 

Staying onboard between cruises when most others are disembarking & embarking sounds like a unique thing to do, and we’ve love to hear anyone else’s experiences of this.

Just seen this, we have not had a back to back on separate ships so I have no information for you. On the other hand we do a lot of back to backs. As it makes sense for the distance we have to travel. Yes it is good to stay on when it’s changeover day. You also benefit from knowing the staff in the bars so your service is great.

Nice touch now you get an invite to the welcome onboard lunch at the start of you second cruise.

Edited by daiB
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

I like that back to back changeover day also, though not so much when it gets to us disembarking and we see others staying onboard🙄

• Like 1

We've registered our interest in G626 and G627 and are now waiting for our travel agent to process and confirm the booking next week.

Thanks again for all the comments.