Sun Princess - Barcelona to Rome - Can I tip in US Dollars

MudderBear

Will be bringing Euros with me.  But, I was only able to get big bills.  I'm thinking of bringing US single dollars with me.   Can we tip in Europe with US Dollars?  Like if I wanted to tip say $22 dollars, can I do it in Euros and two singles?   

Also, I am under the assumption that only US citizens tip over in Europe.  So, my other question is, why do Americans tip if other nationalities don't?  

33 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Will be bringing Euros with me.  But, I was only able to get big bills.  I'm thinking of bringing US single dollars with me.   Can we tip in Europe with US Dollars?  Like if I wanted to tip say $22 dollars, can I do it in Euros and two singles?   

Also, I am under the assumption that only US citizens tip over in Europe.  So, my other question is, why do Americans tip if other nationalities don't?  

We don't tip in Europe or any other civilized country that doesn't tip

• Like 2

Just now, MudderBear said:

Most people tip according to where they are.  In. the US I tip around 20%. In Europe I mainly just leave a little or nothing. You need to research each country to see what their norms are

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MudderBear said:

The ship staff will be happy to accept Euros or USD. Off the ship, there is little tipping in Europe and credit cards are widely accepted. You won’t even have an option to tip most times with cards. With cash, I wouldn’t expect to tip much except change that I’d be getting back after paying in Euros, not amounts like $22. 

Americans tip because they don’t feel at ease with local customs and their culture is that tips are expected. They just do what they are used to. It might surprise some Europeans but it’s not insulting to them.

Service charges are already included in many restaurants in Europe. Normally only small change is left. For example, if lunch were 46 Euros and the service was good, I might leave the change from my 50 Euro note or the 1 Euro left from an 5 Euro note after paying 4 Euros for a coffee. Taxis would be similar.

A tour guide might be tipped. I’d use Euros though and not worry about small bills. If a guide does a private full day tour and perhaps sets up equipment or handles special arrangements, a tip would not be unusual in many European countries. It’s up to you to decide.

• Like 3

As said tips when done are at much lower levels than US.

Cards are used for nearly everything now.

We break bigger notes down fairly quickly even for smallish spends use a big note.

We get a better rate using a multi currency card and local ATM over change before we leave.

Even at home in the UK I change anything £20+ down into 10s 5s ASAP and like a selection of £2&£1 coins.

$tips will be a pain for locals they will still stay thanks with a silent cus. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MudderBear said:

can I do it in Euros and two singles?

Tip in Euros or don't bother tipping.  The hassle of doing the FOREX conversion and the FOREX fee at the conversion shop/bank isn't worth it for the person on the receiving end.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Don't tip in dollars off the ship in Europe. Whilst it's widely accepted in the more touristy Caribbean islands it's not appropriate there. Nobody else will be doing it, so it'll just mean whoever you tip will need to bother to get it changed into Euros.

If you're in a place where tipping is accepted, restaurants etc will sometimes add a 'service charge' or allow you to add it to the card payment and then they'll split it. Or sometimes rounding up the bill is fine. Alternatively, if you don't want to get change at a bank, go buy a cheap ice cream or something from a convenience store when you arrive in a port to break into a note. The US standard practice of passing every person you encounter in a service environment a couple of dollar bills is just not replicated here - probably one of the reasons why they don't make €1/£1 banknotes.

• Like 1