Another Santorini Cable Car Thread....

capecruzer

So, there's four ships on 9/28 coming into Santorini, 3 at 8 am (two of them are smaller, one large) and ours EPIC not until 1 pm.  One of the small ships leaves at 5, the other smaller one at 10, the larger one at 9, and us also at 10.  My thoughts, and I'm writing this to get others' perspectives, is that the cable car should not be an issue going up  in the early afternoon (1-2p).  I question whether it will be an issue getting back down via cable car between 6 and 8pm?  What time would you think most people are headed back to their ship?  I'd just as soon watch the sunset from the ship and hoping to get off, do some window shopping and a cocktail or two and head back.  So, head up at 1:30, head back down at 5:30....would that avoid major crowds at the cable car in your opinion?

I was on the GEM last Sept 28, 2pm to 10pm. Also in port, COSTA 7am-4pm with 2700 pax and a WINDSTAR 8am-9pm with 200 pax.   I certainly didn't expect a line for the cable car. Even though we were on the 2nd tender we still stood in line for 2 hrs !!!   It was brutal. 

In hindsight we should have taken the water taxi to Amoudi Bay for 25/30E.   It sat at the pier for just over an hr hoping to collect more pax.  But I didn't think we'd be in line for another hour!  And realistically my travel partner couldn't have managed the stairs if the cable line was too busy on th return. 

On a positive note, we decided to watch the sunset from the ship so we headed to the cable car counter around 6:30/7pm and there was NO ONE in line.  Same sunset and no crowds!  Plus it was wonderful to watch the lights slowly come on all along the cliff side.

Good luck!

Posted (edited)

I was in Santorini last October (Celebrity Reflection), and there were 4 (maybe 5) other ships in on the same day. They were staggered, but this didnt seem to do much,

We were first ship in and second tender ashore, got to Oia by local bus at about 08:30, it was lovely, stopped for a Coffee, and came out into the street at 09:30 - madness. 6 deep everywhere, people trying to hold back tens of others to get their perfect picture. Queue's for every restaurant.

We didn't know how soon to get back to the ship, and that's when the real fun began. Two hours queue for the cable car down (this at about 2pm, and with staggered departures) in the blazing sun, and as well as about a dozen observed verbal arguments, there was an actual fist fight in the queue. No organisaion, no attendants anywhere, they kust take your money and wash their hands.

People coming back later (*our ship didn't sail till 22:00, reported similar queue's and our reps had to walk back for fear of missing the ship/ Many people who had been to Santorini before didn't even bother going ashore, now we know why.

The best part of Santorini, is looking at photgraphes online. Its ruined.

Sheer greed on behalf of whoever Runs (or doesn't run) the islands tourism industry.

No way I'd set foot again on that island.  RUINED.

Edited by mikeharbour

Although we have been to Santorini more than a dozen time (and will again be there tomorrow) we cannot answer the OPs question.  Why?  The cable car can only move around 600 (in each direction) per hour.  The alternative is to walk down (around 600 steps).  Those are the facts and most else is speculation.

Hank.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2024 at 9:23 PM, capecruzer said:

So, there's four ships on 9/28 coming into Santorini, 3 at 8 am (two of them are smaller, one large) and ours EPIC not until 1 pm.  One of the small ships leaves at 5, the other smaller one at 10, the larger one at 9, and us also at 10.  My thoughts, and I'm writing this to get others' perspectives, is that the cable car should not be an issue going up  in the early afternoon (1-2p).  I question whether it will be an issue getting back down via cable car between 6 and 8pm?  What time would you think most people are headed back to their ship?  I'd just as soon watch the sunset from the ship and hoping to get off, do some window shopping and a cocktail or two and head back.  So, head up at 1:30, head back down at 5:30....would that avoid major crowds at the cable car in your opinion?

Dont forget all the land visitors too.
You will be waiting in a long long queue.

3 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

Dont forget all the land visitors too.
You will be waiting in a long long queue.

The land visitors have no need to take the cable car.  There is nothing down at the port.  It will be crowded enough just with cruise passengers. 

I'd say the only port that is giving me a bit of stress is this one. I'll probably take the boat to Ori instead of taking the cable car (unless for whatever reason the cable car has a line that moves quickly, ha ha). The only upside is our ship is the last to dock and its hours after the other 2 or 3 have docked. The downside is our cruise ship is still over 4500 passengers.

Coming back isn't a problem for the cable car. We'll just walk down if the line is ridiculous.

I've always loved the pictures of Santorini---from the ship or possibly drone photos. The blue and white is breathtaking. We are planning a Greek Islands trip and after reading reviews, I'm wondering if I should plan on cruises that skip Santorini, or just stay on board.

l could not climb the 600 steps, and my husband hates heights (and cable cars!!)

Tell me please the "must see" sights at the top of the cable car. Thanks!!

2 hours ago, wandb said:

l could not climb the 600 steps, and my husband hates heights (and cable cars!!)

My must-sees in Fira were great views and a blue domed church.  There are more of both in Oia but our time was impacted by the cable car wait so we didn't get beyond Fira.  IIRC we saw 2 blu domed churches in Fira, and spectacular views as we walked along the cliffside path.

Check to see if your cruiseline offers an excursion that avoids the cable car.  Most excursions end in Fira and you have to make your way down to the tender dock below, but last yr there was one cruiseline with one excursion that picked up AND dropped off at Athinios port.

2 hours ago, wandb said:

I've always loved the pictures of Santorini---from the ship or possibly drone photos. The blue and white is breathtaking. We are planning a Greek Islands trip and after reading reviews, I'm wondering if I should plan on cruises that skip Santorini, or just stay on board.

There is only one sure way to avoid the cable car and really enjoy Santorini:

1. Take a cruise that skips Santorini, and

2. Fly to Santorini from Athens before or after the cruise. Stay 2 or 3 nights.

The flight from Athens takes 30 minutes.  There are a dozen flights to Santorini (JTR) everyday on Aegean Air. The prices start at €45 each way.  There are many, many hotels in Santorini at all price points.  The easiest would be to fly there the same day you fly into Athens.  Just take an afternoon flight to Santorini and stay there to begin your trip.  Fly back to Athens the day before your cruise or earlier if you have more time.

The few cruise excursions that avoid the cable car, and tender to and from Athinios are geared to handicapped passengers. 

On 5/10/2024 at 1:37 PM, marazul said:

The land visitors have no need to take the cable car.  There is nothing down at the port.  It will be crowded enough just with cruise passengers. 

Agreed - sort of.

Some boat excursions use that pier, but land-based visitors broadly go down early in the morning morning, and back up late afternoon / evening. 

JB 🙂

On 5/10/2024 at 7:44 PM, mapleleaves said:

but last yr there was one cruiseline with one excursion that picked up AND dropped off at Athinios port.

That'll be Celebrity. I'd hoped that others would follow suit, but apparently not - at least, not yet.

JB 🙂

On 5/10/2024 at 12:35 PM, wandb said:

The Cable Car (at Fira) is not so much about the heights, but more about the reality of the primary means to get to the main city on Santorini.  For folks that cannot, or will not, take the cable car at Fira (one or both ways) and are not able, or willing, to deal with the path/steps (be it on foot or a donkey), I would suggest avoiding the port.  That being said, on some cruises, there are a few excursions that include round trip tendering from the ferry port of Athinios!  If you have the ability to book an excursion that both begins and ends with tendering to/from Athinios, then you have found the exception to the rule and can go ashore without having to deal with the cable car or steps.

On our most recent visit (we have been to Santorini more then 2 dozen times), last month on the Oceania Vista, there were NO excursions that involved round trip tendering to/from Athinios.  We have no way to know what is available on other cruises.

Hank