Rolling Stone Rock Room Finished

Ok I know the thread title is click bait, but I just noticed tonight that on Nieuw Statendam all mention of Rolling Stone Rock Room has been removed and it is now named Rolling Stone Lounge. The website also just lists Rolling Stone Lounge now.

I will take the "glass half full' view that this is positive for continuation of the rock music entertainment.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just like the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame seems to be less about Rock these days. Just opening up the lounge for some alternative music. Kenny G, Snoop Dog, Katy Perry etc. Just let us know if BB King's changes its name also.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER

I know they switched bbkings on the older ships to rolling stone rock lounge but I thought the 3 new ships were keeping both bbkings and rolling stone rock room...curious how this all plays out 

Posted (edited)

On the NS in March, the best band was in BB Kings. The Rolling Stones Lounge was virtually empty.

On the Oosterdam in February, we made do with The Rolling Stones Lounge.  I appreciated that they posted their set list so I knew what kind of music to expect.

I don’t care about branding.  I just want good music. 

Edited by 0106
  • Like 1

They changed it from Room to Lounge because the literal-minded stood the entire time.

HAL had a press release about a week ago stating that BB King and Rolling Stone were continuing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, POA1 said:

They changed it from Room to Lounge because the literal-minded stood the entire time.

HAL had a press release about a week ago stating that BB King and Rolling Stone were continuing.

They've also added more seating to both the RS and Billboard areas when they removed the staircase. 

I have found that the bands on the smaller ships that try to be the "jack of all trades" land up just not doing anything particularly well.  You just can't get the BBK sound without brass instruments so saying they play R&B and Soul is fine but it's just not nearly the same experience.  Plus that venue on the smaller ships is terrible.  It's always either too cold or too hot and doesn't have enough seating for the size of the ship. 

@Real NHDOC

Are you talking about the Volendam & Zaandam? Or every ship that's not one of the three big Pinnacle Class ones?

I ask, because we've heard great BB King bands on the Vista and Signature class ships. It's nice to have the 3 separate music areas, but I haven't found that it detracts from the experience if you don't.

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

They've also added more seating to both the RS and Billboard areas when they removed the staircase. 

I have found that the bands on the smaller ships that try to be the "jack of all trades" land up just not doing anything particularly well.  You just can't get the BBK sound without brass instruments so saying they play R&B and Soul is fine but it's just not nearly the same experience.  Plus that venue on the smaller ships is terrible.  It's always either too cold or too hot and doesn't have enough seating for the size of the ship. 

Sorry, I disagree with the above.

39 minutes ago, POA1 said:

we've heard great BB King bands on the Vista and Signature class ships.

Unfortunately BB King bands are gone from all but the Pinnacle class ships.  

I saw the RS Lounge on the Eurodam recently.  Band was really great and played so many different songs and different styles such as disco, what I consider "pop", 80s, oldies, country and western, etc.  Some sets I enjoyed and some I did not.  I really longed for the Rock Room!  There just wasn't enough Rock for me.  The Rock songs they did perform were awesome and I wish I could have heard more.  Again, it's all a matter of preference and this way they appeal to wider audiences.  I did like that the sets were somewhat identified so you knew before going.  I have to give kudos to the band knowing so many songs and types of music and they played every set well and with enthusiasm.  

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

@Real NHDOC

Are you talking about the Volendam & Zaandam? Or every ship that's not one of the three big Pinnacle Class ones?

I ask, because we've heard great BB King bands on the Vista and Signature class ships. It's nice to have the 3 separate music areas, but I haven't found that it detracts from the experience if you don't.

They have eliminated the BB King band from all of the smaller ships.  All they offer now on anything smaller than the Pinnacle is the Rolling Stone Lounge which is supposed to play all kinds of music (they have different sets - rock, R&B, 80s, etc).  We were on Eurodam this winter and found the band was OK for rock but for R&B were pretty bad.  Nothing like BBK on the larger ships.  That's my opinion, anyway.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, projecthandbag said:

I saw the RS Lounge on the Eurodam recently.  Band was really great and played so many different songs and different styles such as disco, what I consider "pop", 80s, oldies, country and western, etc.  Some sets I enjoyed and some I did not.  I really longed for the Rock Room!  There just wasn't enough Rock for me.  The Rock songs they did perform were awesome and I wish I could have heard more.  Again, it's all a matter of preference and this way they appeal to wider audiences.  I did like that the sets were somewhat identified so you knew before going.  I have to give kudos to the band knowing so many songs and types of music and they played every set well and with enthusiasm.  

My impressions were similar.  My thought was this was the old RS band that they just asked to play other types of music.  I recognized several of the band members from past RS bands.  When they stuck to the rock sets they were fine but when they tried to do the BBK sets they were pretty bad.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

When they stuck to the rock sets they were fine but when they tried to do the BBK sets they were pretty bad.

Sometimes it's easy to bring da noise, but much harder to bring da funk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Sometimes it's easy to bring da noise, but much harder to bring da funk.

No horns, no funk.  Plus the singers just didn't have the same spirit as the BBK singers.  Just disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1