Koningsdam Vancouver embarkation: progressive cruise check-in schedule

16 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I am not getting a clear picture of how "priority"  for 5 starts, etc is working with all these delays, problems, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

It was my experience for the past two check-in sessions in Vancouver that 4&5* Mariners, Pinnacle/Neptune Suites, and Club Orange were given priority for the initial HAL facial recognition scan.  All passengers from all ships were then combined for Security scanning and another facial recognition scan for US Immigration.  Passengers were then filtered back their respective ships and seated according to their priority status,  When boarding started, the priority guests began boarding first. If boarding had already started, all passengers boarded immediately after the final facial recognition scan.

"Priority" only made a difference for the initial scanning and if seated,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

It was my experience for the past two check-in sessions in Vancouver that 4&5* Mariners, Pinnacle/Neptune Suites, and Club Orange were given priority for the initial HAL facial recognition scan.  All passengers from all ships were then combined for Security scanning and another facial recognition scan for US Immigration.  Passengers were then filtered back their respective ships and seated according to their priority status,  When boarding started, the priority guests began boarding first. If boarding had already started, all passengers boarded immediately after the final facial recognition scan.

"Priority" only made a difference for the initial scanning and if seated,

Excellent, Roger. Thanks. BTW: in looking at theCanada Place schedule for this year I see that the start of the season had a lot of 3 ship days. Going forward, many days are two ships and a few just one ship, so I am hoping things settle down and embarkation will improve!  Your posts are great to read (the soup and the cookies to the rescue! I need to remeber that!).

• Like 1

We arrived YVR at 10:45am yesterday (Sunday May 5th).  The immigration kiosks at YVR were quick and simple to use. Collected our bags and exited, crossed over to escalators up to the SkyTrain.  Purchased two "concession fares" (seniors), boarded train (no problem with luggage) to Waterfront Station. Although our deck 7 check in time was 11:30, we did NOT want any part of the Canada Place zoo. There's a nice brew pub right in Waterfront (thx @martincath) called Rogue, where we had a casual lunch, surrounded by lots of folks with marathon medals around their necks.  Around 1pm, we walked a few blocks over to CP, went down the ramp (as told), handed off one bag to porter, and noticed no crowds. It does get a bit "much" with riding escalators up, then back down, but there's personnel directing everywhere. We glided thru it all, with zero lines, and were onboard in about 30 minutes. Went directly to our aft balcony cabin, started unpacking the carry on, and the large bag was delivered in minutes.  Done.  Sailaway was wet & soggy, but happy! Today is a smooth sailing, thermal suite, drink package kinda day!  🎶🫢🍸⬆️

Finally, I do not care if we make President's Club... late boarding is the only way to go!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

FWIW, we arrived a little after 13:00 for a 14:00 boarding time HA Koningsdam May 11 2025 from Vancouver. Nobody was checking boarding times, but we breezed through and were on board in about 30 mins. 

• Like 1

This likely would be super helpful if people actually followed the instructions and port staff enforced it. However, we all know people will still arrive whenever they want and it sounds like it’s not being enforced. Alas, this likely will have very minimal impact.

I’m also curious, given four and five star, NS, PS and also OC all get priority. That has be a good chunk of the ship right? Is there priority within the priority does anyone know? Like the stars, NS and PS board before CO? I know those with mobility issues are priority as well. I don’t care really as long as I’m on the ship eventually. But it just makes me wonder how much of a “priority” it actually is at this point. 

23 minutes ago, Khlela said:

This likely would be super helpful if people actually followed the instructions and port staff enforced it. However, we all know people will still arrive whenever they want and it sounds like it’s not being enforced. Alas, this likely will have very minimal impact.

I’m also curious, given four and five star, NS, PS and also OC all get priority. That has be a good chunk of the ship right? Is there priority within the priority does anyone know? Like the stars, NS and PS board before CO? I know those with mobility issues are priority as well. I don’t care really as long as I’m on the ship eventually. But it just makes me wonder how much of a “priority” it actually is at this point. 

There is NO priority when everyone has priority! 😅🫢

It's still a cluster... arrive later, skip the crowds and chaos!

• Like 3

It is interesting- the language on the notice for boarding in Rotterdam is much softer - recommendations not a new implementation 

’IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
We look forward to welcoming you on board Rotterdam. In order to ease terminal
congestion, we recommend that guests follow the progressive cruise check-in
schedule below. Our 4 & 5 Star Mariners, Club Orange, and Pinnacle & Neptune
Suite guests are invited to arrive anytime. If you have purchased a Holland
America Line pre-cruise hotel or transfer, your check-in time will be provided
at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving
as a group will be checked in together.
10:30 AM - Decks 10 & 11 Panorama & Sun Decks
11:30 AM - Decks 7 & 8 - Schubert & Navigation Decks
1:00 PM - Decks 5 & 6 - Gershwin & Mozart Decks
2:00 PM - Decks 1 & 4 - Main & Beethoven Decks
Check-in begins at 10:30 AM and boarding will begin at 11:30 AM. All guests
must be in the terminal by 2:30 PM.’

3 hours ago, swin26 said:

It is interesting- the language on the notice for boarding in Rotterdam is much softer - recommendations not a new implementation 

’IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
We look forward to welcoming you on board Rotterdam. In order to ease terminal
congestion, we recommend that guests follow the progressive cruise check-in
schedule below. Our 4 & 5 Star Mariners, Club Orange, and Pinnacle & Neptune
Suite guests are invited to arrive anytime. If you have purchased a Holland
America Line pre-cruise hotel or transfer, your check-in time will be provided
at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving
as a group will be checked in together.
10:30 AM - Decks 10 & 11 Panorama & Sun Decks
11:30 AM - Decks 7 & 8 - Schubert & Navigation Decks
1:00 PM - Decks 5 & 6 - Gershwin & Mozart Decks
2:00 PM - Decks 1 & 4 - Main & Beethoven Decks
Check-in begins at 10:30 AM and boarding will begin at 11:30 AM. All guests
must be in the terminal by 2:30 PM.’

I thought this new check-in plan was initiated in Vancouver at the request of Canada Place.  Is this actually HAL's new plan for all ports?