An Unacceptable Experience on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth

R George

My wife and I boarded Queen Elizabeth in Barcelona on 30th October 2023 and sailed for Fremantle, Western Australia - a 28 night cruise. On the first day at sea my wife wasn't feeling well, and was diagnosed with Covid. Being in the same Stateroom, I caught it a day or two later. Between 31st October and 16th November, we visited the Doctor in the Medical Clinic four times, and we also consulted with the nursing staff there on several occasions, often to get our Shore excursion tickets stamped so that we could then cancel the excursions we had booked.

As we were initially isolated and then incapacitated by fatigue for 21 of the 28 days at sea, we had to cancel three shore excursions, and each time we had to go to the Clinic, and then to the Excursion desk. I had lost around 7.5 kg in weight (I.e. over 16 lbs) and I had to hold my trousers up with one hand to avoid them falling to the floor. I also became completely deaf in my right ear, and registered only about 50% hearing in my left ear. All this added to the extreme difficulty we had in moving around the ship when we had to. We were on Deck 5; the Medical Clinic on Deck 1, as was the Shore Excursion desk - but about 80 metres from the Clinic.

We had to cancel three shore excursions, and each time we had to go to the Clinic, and then to the Excursion desk. Cunard in their wisdom refunded us in full for the first and third excursions, but not for the second one - because we had not given enough notice!! The two refunds were credited to us whilst we were still on the cruise, but since arriving back home on 27th November 2023, we have been battling to get the second excursion refund.

We apparently only staggered down to the Excursion desk 24 hours before the second excursion started, instead of 48 hours! No mention of this problem was made when we visited the Excursion desk.

After many emails and a few phone calls, we understood that a refund of the second tour had been approved, but that was over almost two months ago, and nothing has happened. It is now over 21 weeks since we returned home, and Cunard has stated that "we will get back to you" as soon as they get an update from the Support Team! Why not just process the refund?!! In the circumstances you, dear reader, can make up your mind about Cunard bureaucracy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, R George said:

...We had to cancel three shore excursions, and each time we had to go to the Clinic, and then to the Excursion desk. Cunard in their wisdom refunded us in full for the first and third excursions, but not for the second one - because we had not given enough notice!! The two refunds were credited to us whilst we were still on the cruise, but since arriving back home on 27th November 2023, we have been battling to get the second excursion refund.

We apparently only staggered down to the Excursion desk 24 hours before the second excursion started, instead of 48 hours! No mention of this problem was made when we visited the Excursion desk.

After many emails and a few phone calls, we understood that a refund of the second tour had been approved, but that was over almost two months ago, and nothing has happened. It is now over 21 weeks since we returned home, and Cunard has stated that "we will get back to you" as soon as they get an update from the Support Team! Why not just process the refund?!! In the circumstances you, dear reader, can make up your mind about Cunard bureaucracy.

I am so sorry you had such a rotten time and that you haven't yet been credited with the refund

but

when you booked the tour, the small print in the blurb does say 48 hrs cancelletion

If you need to cancel within 3 days of your holiday departure date, please speak to the shore experiences team once you’re on board. Cancellations cannot be made via My Cunard at this stage.

Once on board, if you need to cancel your shore experiences before the cancellation deadline (generally 48 hours before the ship’s arrival in the relevant port) a 10% cancellation fee will be applied to your on-board account and the full amount paid will be refunded to your original credit/debit card. In order to process any cancellations, tickets must be returned to the on-board shore experiences desk.

We regret that we’re unable to refund the cost of experiences cancelled after the cancellation deadline. If you do need to cancel after the deadline, we’ll credit the original credit/debit card you used with the full amount you paid, however, a 100% cancellation fee will be added to your on-board account.

and although this doesn't absolve Cunard for the delay in crediting your account once it was approved, it does show that they didn't have to give any refunds for the late cancellation.

Hopefully, you'll receive the refund soon.

• Like 1

In my experience as long as the excursion has not departed then you can cancel for approved medical reasons and get a full refund. The issue here maybe that there was nobody available at the excursions desk in the period between getting approval from the medical centre prior to the excursion departing

• Like 1

We were on the same cruise! And also caught Covid and lost several kg! It sure was nasty, we have only just got over it, 6 months later. I also thought it was amazing that excursions needed to be cancelled in person and poor Lesley on the excursions desk had to deal with potentially infectious passengers.

Fairly sure we cancelled with less than 48 hours notice, there being an exemption for Covid. Tour desk couldn’t have been more helpful, in fact Cunard were wonderful throughout. Dealing with the shore offices though can be a difficult ballgame.

all I can suggest is either

Keep bothering them 

or

try travel insurance- presumably you made a claim for medical expenses

or

write it off and move on

Hope like us you are recovered now. We were going to book another world cruise but a bit reluctant after being so ill.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 7:32 AM, Victoria2 said:

If you need to cancel within 3 days of your holiday departure date, please speak to the shore experiences team once you’re on board. Cancellations cannot be made via My Cunard at this stage.

Once on board, if you need to cancel your shore experiences before the cancellation deadline (generally 48 hours before the ship’s arrival in the relevant port) a 10% cancellation fee will be applied to your on-board account and the full amount paid will be refunded to your original credit/debit card. In order to process any cancellations, tickets must be returned to the on-board shore experiences desk.

But surely in the circumstances Cunard should've shown some discretion, in all honesty they shouldn't of even questioned a refund, it should of automatically been refunded.

They were quite clearly aware of the situation, to hide behind a policy for the sake of few quid is unacceptable on Cunards part. 

Even the loyalist of Cunarders must admit this is unacceptable.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, S1971 said:

But surely in the circumstances Cunard should've shown some discretion, in all honesty they shouldn't of even questioned a refund, it should of automatically been refunded.

They were quite clearly aware of the situation, to hide behind a policy for the sake of few quid is unacceptable on Cunards part. 

Even the loyalist of Cunarders must admit this is unacceptable.

Of course they should, and eventually, they did, sort of but 'should' doesn't automatically translate into 'will' for some who have guidelines/rule book to follow, without constant 'barraging' from the unfortunate passenger.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This situation doesn't sound like the old Cunard where I have always received an attentive and caring reception to any concern or complaint I have brought to the attention of onboard staff or management. Have things changed? Or is this just an unfortunate one-off?

Edited by commodoredave
  • Like 2