Motion Sickness on True Inside Passage From Vancouver

the only rough seas you will probably encounter is when you get out of the Inside passage and get back to Vancouver.  The inside passage is surrounded by Mountains, so it's just basically the ups/downs of the tide.  I get dizzy looking at rollercoasters, but have done Alaska cruising at least 5 time.  Only take my bonnie on the first day

20 hours ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

What are the chances of rough waters on a true “Inside Passage” cruise, Vancouver to Juneau and back?  (Holland America Koningsdam)

I think any HAL ship is too big for a "true Inside Passage” cruise. If the Koningsdam follows its usual path, it goes outside the Inside Passage and into the Gulf of Alaska at least twice.

Even inside the passage if there is high wind or a storm, it can be rougher, not rough like an open water passage, but enough to bother someone sensitive to motion.

This question, like what to pack, always comes down to only one sensible response - always assume and pack for the worst, whether that means your preferred seasickness meds or ample layers of clothing. The odds are more in your favour of smooth waters going Inside, but there's no guarantees.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

I think any HAL ship is too big for a "true Inside Passage” cruise. If the Koningsdam follows its usual path, it goes outside the Inside Passage and into the Gulf of Alaska at least twice.

Even inside the passage if there is high wind or a storm, it can be rougher, not rough like an open water passage, but enough to bother someone sensitive to motion.

Koningsdam has been sailing east of Vancouver Island for several years now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Koningsdam has been sailing east of Vancouver Island for several years now.

But it sails west of Prince of Wales Island northbound and west of Chichagof Island southbound after leaving Glacier Bay.

We did the passage on the Eclipse which is about the same size as Koningsdam, It was quite calm. We did experience a bit of motion as we cleared Vancouver Island northbound but it didn't last long. That being said anything can happen. Enjoy your cruise and make whatever arrangements you need if you are prone to motion sickness.