Which direction for Viking Paris to Swiss Alps cruise with Zermatt extension?

puppymama1

We are thinking of booking the Viking Paris to Swiss Alps cruise including the Geneva and Zermatt extension for 2025.  Does it make any difference whether we start in Paris or start in Geneva?  We could get a direct flight back home from Paris, but not from Geneva, so we were thinking of starting in Geneva... but if it is better to start in Paris, we could certainly do that also.  And which month would you recommend planning the trip for?  We were thinking of either May, June, September or October... Which of those would be best?  Thanks!

Too many variables - especially as we don't know what your priorities, like/dislikes are.

The actual cruise runs between Trier on the Mosel in Germany  and Basel on the Rhine in Switzerland. We did this cruise last year from Basel to Trier and the majority of the passengers were North American doing the holiday that you are considering, i.e. the pre-extension in Zermatt and the post- extension in Paris. They were accompanied all the way from the start by the Viking Programme Director.

Personally I liked the direction of travel as the Rhine is a wide busy river while the Mosel is a narrow quiet river and you sail through idyllic country side and charming villages.

I think once such a long holiday is over you want to get home with as little fuss as possible, so for me, a direct flight home (which you say you can get from Paris) is a mighty good reason for ending in Paris. 

You also have the attraction of Paris to look forward to all through your holiday. Would you be yearning for Zermatt is the same way?

What month? Do you prefer warm weather and sitting on the sundeck or cooler weather? I think what month is a question only you can answer. What is certain is that it's a terrific cruise.

We went in April; you may like to read my cruise report

20 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

We were thinking of either May, June, September or October...

Not sure that there is a best month. As pontac said, it depends on what weather you prefer. May and June will be a bit warmer. Also consider daylight hours. You have more of those in May and June. September is a very pleasant month, October can be lovely for the colours.

One thing to remember is that autumn tends to be the time of year for low water so that may impact your cruise.

notamermaid

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

We are thinking of booking the Viking Paris to Swiss Alps cruise including the Geneva and Zermatt extension for 2025.  Does it make any difference whether we start in Paris or start in Geneva?  We could get a direct flight back home from Paris, but not from Geneva, so we were thinking of starting in Geneva... but if it is better to start in Paris, we could certainly do that also.  And which month would you recommend planning the trip for?  We were thinking of either May, June, September or October... Which of those would be best?  Thanks!

We did Geneva to Paris and it was excellent. The Glacier Express from Zermatt across Switzerland is fantastic. IMO Switzerland to Paris is a better option. On our way to Zermatt we stopped for a snack at a winery on the banks of Lake Geneva, overlooking Montreux. It was a great experience touring the cellars and tasting wine on the terrace above the lake. Not sure how that fits into the schedule going the other way.

We took the trip in late July and the weather was great except for one day of rain that unfortunately occured on the day we went to Kleine Scheidegg on the Highlights of the Alps excursion on our day in Zurich. Visibility was near zero. Word to the wise, do not book Highlights of the Alps if you are booking the Zermatt extension. It's redundant and a very long day. Because of weather we missed the sailing out of Basel and had to catch the ship at a dock in the middle of nowhere in France. Our bus driver got lost and we were on streets too narrow to pass. We almost missed dinner aboard. We saw nothing of Basel.

One thing about late July, it put us in Paris in August. The big upside of Paris in August is it's much less crowded with locals and the traffic is much better. The mom and pop stores may have closed for the summer but all the main attractions are still open. The access road (now a pedestrian walkway) along the banks of the Seine is transformed into a beach club, with sand trucked in and chaise lounges. A great experience walking along the river from Notre Dame to The Louvre.

Aside from bad weather, this was one of our most enjoyable cruises, river or ocean. I highly recommend it.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We did Geneva to Paris and it was excellent. The Glacier Express from Zermatt across Switzerland is fantastic. IMO Switzerland to Paris is a better option. On our way to Zermatt we stopped for a snack at a winery on the banks of Lake Geneva, overlooking Montreux. It was a great experience touring the cellars and tasting wine on the terrace above the lake. Not sure how that fits into the schedule going the other way.

We took the trip in late June and the weather was great except for one day of rain that unfortunately occured on the day we went to Kleine Scheidegg on the Highlights of the Alps excursion on our day in Zurich. Visibility was near zero. Word to the wise, do not book Highlights of the Alps if you are booking the Zermatt extension. It's redundant and a very long day. Because of weather we missed the sailing out of Basel and had to catch the ship at dock in the middle of nowhere in France. We almost missed dinner aboard. We saw nothing of Basel.

That aside from that, this was one of our most enjoyable cruises, river or ocean. I highly recommend it.

OneSixtyToOne - thank you for the tip of not doing the Highlights of the Alps excursion... I was wondering if it would be redundant or if it would be different things..  

Notamermaid - thanks for the reminder about the higher potential for low water levels in the fall... I had forgotten about that... May or June it is... with the longer daylight hours, that sounds perfect.  And we will start in Geneva and end in Paris... We are actually more excited about Switzerland since we have never been there before and that extension looks incredible.  We have been to Paris before and are not as excited about being there as we are about Switzerland.  

Pontac - thanks for the link to the trip report... I will be reading that now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puppymama1 said:

OneSixtyToOne - thank you for the tip of not doing the Highlights of the Alps excursion... I was wondering if it would be redundant or if it would be different things..  

Notamermaid - thanks for the reminder about the higher potential for low water levels in the fall... I had forgotten about that... May or June it is... with the longer daylight hours, that sounds perfect.  And we will start in Geneva and end in Paris... We are actually more excited about Switzerland since we have never been there before and that extension looks incredible.  We have been to Paris before and are not as excited about being there as we are about Switzerland.  

Pontac - thanks for the link to the trip report... I will be reading that now!

For a great wine tasting experience be sure to take the BERNKASTEL HISTORY & WINE excursion. You’ll visit an enormous wine cellar that is run to promote Moselle wines. Every vintner in the region has a bin of their wines. You’re given a glass and you are free to wander about and taste as many wines as you like. Tasting bottles are placed on top of wine barrels and there are over 150 wines to sample. It’s pretty amazing. 
https://en.bernkastel.de/gastro/vinothek-at-the-wine-cultural-centre

14 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

great wine tasting experience be sure to take the BERNKASTEL HISTORY & WINE excursion. You’ll visit an enormous wine cellar that

We didn't book that optional excursion but intended to visit the Vinothek on our own. Unfortunately it was closed as it doesn't open till 11:00 and we had to be back on board by 11:15 for departure to Trier

image.thumb.jpeg.771818ab743a194c37c22210033fee4e.jpeg

I presume Viking have arranged a private early opening, although I didn't see anyone inside the cellar.

Viking's website gives the tour duration as 2.5 hours, though the Viking Daily for our cruise in 2023 had only two hours, from 09:00 - 11:00. As that includes a walking tour of Bernkastel and a visit to the castle ruins and ends with a tour of the wine cellar before the tasting, I wonder how much time was left for the tasting - certainly not long enough to taste all 140 wines on show!

2 hours ago, pontac said:

We didn't book that optional excursion but intended to visit the Vinothek on our own. Unfortunately it was closed as it doesn't open till 11:00 and we had to be back on board by 11:15 for departure to Trier

image.thumb.jpeg.771818ab743a194c37c22210033fee4e.jpeg

I presume Viking have arranged a private early opening, although I didn't see anyone inside the cellar.

Viking's website gives the tour duration as 2.5 hours, though the Viking Daily for our cruise in 2023 had only two hours, from 09:00 - 11:00. As that includes a walking tour of Bernkastel and a visit to the castle ruins and ends with a tour of the wine cellar before the tasting, I wonder how much time was left for the tasting - certainly not long enough to taste all 140 wines on show!

The tour of the town was on a Sunday morning and I remember at the end having to wait outside the Vinothek for a few minutes. We had time to visit the chapel of the old hospital then we entered Vinothek and had a short orientation, were given a glass, and let loose in the cellar. We didn’t feel rushed, sampled several wines, and walked back to the ship unattended in time for departure. Maybe they have changed their departure time or maybe it was a special opening time. I’m not sure.