Transatlantic 14 day gratuity

Hi

i normally tip around $100 to my steward on a 7 day . Given the auto tips are $280 for a 14 day cruise , would $100 be enough on top . It would seem if i doubled it to $200 , that $480 would be a lot for tips 

Any input appreciated. Not looking to stiff anyone but just unsure 

Posted (edited)

Tip who you want and whatever amount you want. There is no need to leave anything more than the OSC, but that is your choice. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

For us, $7 a day for the steward would be low. 

thats my thought but $10 a day brings gratuities up to over $400 total, not counting the dining service charge and  bar package.  $700 is getting a bit  much to lay out in tips?

37 minutes ago, shanefm3 said:

thats my thought but $10 a day brings gratuities up to over $400 total, not counting the dining service charge and  bar package.  $700 is getting a bit  much to lay out in tips?

While I definitely agree with @zqvol.  I pretty regularly tip more, but I go by service level not actual cruise length.  I have some pretty standard request:  egg crate mattress, ice and "if" time allows towel animals.  All communicated day 1,  I make sure I find him/her as early as possible after cabins are ready. 

If my steward remakes my bed with the egg crate that day.  Wow - love that! Gratuity up front (usually $40) and as long as things continue swimmingly another $20 midway.  I pay attention to things like laundry pick up and delivery, is my ice bucket filled at the end of shift instead of when they service my cabin, how many days I actually received towel animals etc.  End of cruise tip can be anywhere from $40 - $100. 

Once upon a time my steward was reassigned mid cruise and that's why I try to "appreciate" as I go.  My cruises are typically on the longer side usually 12 - 30 days.  I do alot of B2B so that's my system. 

It is not my intention to kick the hornet's next on tipping around here, so just explaining what I do for those inclined to tip more and asking for guidance.  

23 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

While I definitely agree with @zqvol.  I pretty regularly tip more, but I go by service level not actual cruise length.  I have some pretty standard request:  egg crate mattress, ice and "if" time allows towel animals.  All communicated day 1,  I make sure I find him/her as early as possible after cabins are ready. 

If my steward remakes my bed with the egg crate that day.  Wow - love that! Gratuity up front (usually $40) and as long as things continue swimmingly another $20 midway.  I pay attention to things like laundry pick up and delivery, is my ice bucket filled at the end of shift instead of when they service my cabin, how many days I actually received towel animals etc.  End of cruise tip can be anywhere from $40 - $100. 

Once upon a time my steward was reassigned mid cruise and that's why I try to "appreciate" as I go.  My cruises are typically on the longer side usually 12 - 30 days.  I do alot of B2B so that's my system. 

It is not my intention to kick the hornet's next on tipping around here, so just explaining what I do for those inclined to tip more and asking for guidance.  

Perfect answer . Having been in hospitality industry , i totally get the tipping . I also tip $3, $5 and $5 for my 3 dining room meals daily. I travel solo

just wanted to make sure that if things go correctly cabin wise with the steward  , then I’m not under tipping. All i ask for is , like yourself … egg mattress , an iron and ice in my room . Other than that , I’m easy

It depends if they did anything differently for a longer cruise or a transatlantic? For better or worse. Personally I never noticed anything different from a shorter cruise. Does anyone know? Is there any extra cleaning or maybe they change the bedding out completely in the middle?

You're not "stiffing" anyone by not tipping over the prepaid service charges.  Tip (or don't) what you feel is appropriate.  It's crazy that people let strangers on the internet tell them how to spend their own money.  Someone will say $10 a day, then someone else comes along and says $20.  If someone said $50, would you do that?  Crazy.

• Thanks 2