Missed port insurance

delgirl

BouncingWheel, may I ask which bank you have your current cover with as it may be Barclays which could affect my future plans.

Thanks in advance

Have just renewed our cover with Aviva - we travel early June and our policy renewal is 30.05.24 so I was anxious to know where we stood in case I had to start shopping around.

In a nutshell - cover done - so far not cost me as much as with UK Insurance but will have to buy additional cruise cover for future cruises (probably get two more out of it before I'm paying more than before - with riders see below). 

I'll share my experience with as many details as I was able to gather.  

Rang yesterday - difficult to find how to get through.  Didn't want to fill in the online form for medical screening in case I shot myself in the foot - I'd much rather explain to an agent and be able to clarify details and be sure they're correct.  Eventually got put through by UK Insurance to Aviva and was promised a call back at specified time which didn't happen.  But I did get a phone number for Aviva Flexplus insurance which i rang this morning:  0345 878 5445 (long wait for connection but at least I got to speak to an agent who was very helpful - guess they're a bit inundated at the moment with people like me!)

Both covered - no age extension which we already knew about (saving of £69)

Medical screening: relies heavily on medical situation in the last 12 months (investigations, hospitalisation, treatment etc) and declaration of conditions/medications etc.  We were covered at no extra cost (as was the case with UK Insurance - although we have had to pay a premium in the past when medical issues were current.)  Of course there was the standard not travelling against medical advice. 

Cruise upgrade:

Covers missed ports @ £150 p.p. per missed port

Covers cabin confinement on medical grounds @ £150 p.p. per day up to a max of £1500

Now this is where it gets a bit less clear..............apparently the cost of cruise cover isn't standard, it has to be quoted for and is subject to variables like length of the cruise, destinations and multiple countries which I suppose makes sense - some ports do have more misses than others and may constitute more risk????    

He didn't quiz me extensively (i.e. every port) but wanted to know each country we were visiting.  

Don't know how the previous add-on worked for World Cruises.  £40 for the whole period or per sector?  But this could be much more methinks given they want to pin down the details rather more.  

Bottom line - £40 to cover us both for a 16 night trip in Europe.  So same as before except of course we will need to pay again for any subsequent trips.  We may or may not take up that option but so far are nearly £70 to the good. 

I think it may well reduce the uptake of the 'add-on'.  We shall think carefully about whether to bother again but we've gone with it this time.  Paid over the phone and documents to follow (saves me printing them out for P&O if they want to see them at embarkation). 

Think that's all I managed to glean - hope it helps.  

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, JOHNLS said:

BouncingWheel, may I ask which bank you have your current cover with as it may be Barclays which could affect my future plans.

Thanks in advance

My bank cover is HSBC who are currently using an Aviva annual travel policy with my credit card and it includes cruise cover but excludes missed ports. I was told there was no way to add that onto the policy. They are ending this package now anyway but I was very interested to hear about Aviva packages included with bank deals and missed ports as I had no luck getting it.

30 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

My bank cover is HSBC who are currently using an Aviva annual travel policy with my credit card and it includes cruise cover but excludes missed ports. I was told there was no way to add that onto the policy. They are ending this package now anyway but I was very interested to hear about Aviva packages included with bank deals and missed ports as I had no luck getting it.

Prior to changing my insurance provider to Nationwide, I had a stand alone annual travel insurance policy direct with Aviva. They didn’t offer separate cruise cover on my policy, as they considered a cruise to be a normal holiday so, as a result, there was no missed port cover. I guess they are only offering it now as they are taking over an established scheme that already included it. 

• Like 1