Getting a call directly from Cunard - Upgrade offer

NE John

But a cruise line that sails with empty cabins ends up being either very expensive for passengers or a less viable operation (and would need to make cuts elsewhere). People will book as early/late as they need to in order to get the dates/itinerary/cabin they want. Leaving it later is a gamble that would need to be weighed up by the individual. 

For the line's point of view though, I can't see any likely business case that concludes that it is better to earn no money on a cabin than some. Let's be honest it won't need to price at a loss in order to attract those willing to upgrade. 

27 minutes ago, Isr45 said:

That is not what I said. I said I and many others would not book in advance and pay full price if they were going to sell off cheap upgrades further down the line - why waste money on a cruise line that does that 😀

and that's what I took the meaning to be and it's a grand idea as long as the bean counters are happy, but it's not how it could have come across so thanks for clarifying.

Interestingly, it's not a common issue on Cunard for us as the top suites [on the Vistas] generally sell pretty quickly in our experience or maybe we just choose to sail popular itineraries. 🙂

We booked last year direct on the QE,  transferred to a TA and was emailed the upgrade offers for our July cruise.   PG to a Q3 Penthouse!   Couldn't say no to that.   They may have called but I dont answer the phone if I don't know the number.  Email worked though!  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MattAlexisStAndrews said:

We booked last year direct on the QE,  transferred to a TA and was emailed the upgrade offers for our July cruise.   PG to a Q3 Penthouse!   Couldn't say no to that.   They may have called but I dont answer the phone if I don't know the number.  Email worked though!  

You were given a free upgrade? 

Ahhh. Yes, i have an offer to bid from PG. I wished they would just give me a price. For 10 day (Q420) bids are 450+pp for Q5,Q6, $605+pp for Q3,Q4, $2610+pp for Q2 and $3215+ for Q1. 

Not sure it's worth the bump to Queens grill....

37 minutes ago, Tduenas said:

Ahhh. Yes, i have an offer to bid from PG. I wished they would just give me a price. For 10 day (Q420) bids are 450+pp for Q5,Q6, $605+pp for Q3,Q4, $2610+pp for Q2 and $3215+ for Q1. 

Cheaper than my P1 to Q5/Q6 for 7 days. £640pp starting bid… 

3 hours ago, Tduenas said:

We’re on the same Q420. Please sign up for the Roll Call. This should be a great voyage. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NE John said:

We’re on the same Q420. Please sign up for the Roll Call. This should be a great voyage. 

I'm new to the site. I looked up the roll call and saw a topic with a handful of posts, is that a "roll call"?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tduenas said:

I'm new to the site. I looked up the roll call and saw a topic with a handful of posts, is that a "roll call"?

Yes. Look up QE and the date June 21. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Isr45 said:

That is not what I said. I said I and many others would not book in advance and pay full price if they were going to sell off cheap upgrades further down the line - why waste money on a cruise line that does that 😀

Thank you—I do appreciate the clarification.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NE John said:

Yes. Look up QE and the date June 21. 

I guess I don't understand what the purpose of the roll call is. I only see a few posts on there, not much

19 minutes ago, Tduenas said:

I guess I don't understand what the purpose of the roll call is. I only see a few posts on there, not much

To see if anyone wants to meet or go on an excursion etc. 

Purely optional.