Shuttle in Reykjavik from Skarfabakki Harbour

I know for most stops, Viking usually provides a shuttle from the port into town. Can someone let me know if there is one from Skarfabakki into the center of Reykjavik, and if so, what kind of schedule do you recall and where does it drop you off?  Thanks so much. 

1 hour ago, miami mama said:

I know for most stops, Viking usually provides a shuttle from the port into town. Can someone let me know if there is one from Skarfabakki into the center of Reykjavik, and if so, what kind of schedule do you recall and where does it drop you off?  Thanks so much. 

My personal experience is dated (2019), but I think it’s still valid. Our shuttle ran every 30 minutes, drop off was at the Harpa Conference Centre - an easy few minutes walk to the heart of downtown. 

You can also walk the shoreline back to the ship if the weather is good - about 50 minutes. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

My personal experience is dated (2019), but I think it’s still valid. Our shuttle ran every 30 minutes, drop off was at the Harpa Conference Centre - an easy few minutes walk to the heart of downtown. 

You can also walk the shoreline back to the ship if the weather is good - about 50 minutes. 🍺🥌

Same in July 2023

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Does the shuttle run on disembarkation day, so you can leave ship and be dropped off with your luggage at Harpa...? or is taxi or local bus the only way to do that (our self post-extension begins at hotel across from Harpa).

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Does the shuttle run on disembarkation day, so you can leave ship and be dropped off with your luggage at Harpa...? or is taxi or local bus the only way to do it. 

We took a prebooked taxi. 

Edited by CDR2001

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

Does the shuttle run on disembarkation day, so you can leave ship and be dropped off with your luggage at Harpa...? or is taxi or local bus the only way to do that (our self post-extension begins at hotel across from Harpa).

I’m speculating but I don’t think a shuttle would be available for a disembarkation day. The only way there might be one is if the cruise is B2B and your disembarkation was an in-transit day for pax continuing. Even then, I don’t think you could use it. 

As mentioned, taxi is easy and a short trip. 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

Taxis are easy to get at disembarkation. No need to prebook. No shuttles available. We disembarked in July and took a cab to a rental car facility nearby for our self-extension to the Westfjords.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In July, we disembarked at 9 AM, but our flight wasn’t until the early evening. While our checked luggage went ahead of us to the airport, Viking did provide a bus to the Harpa Concert Hall as well as a room at the Hall where we could stop for snacks and use as a base to explore the city until it was time for us to be bused to Keflavik. There was plenty of room under the bus for our carry on luggage to be stored. Perhaps you could ask Viking if you could take the bus to Harpa as well?

Last Sept when we got off there were a line of taxi's right there, no problem at all.  The only issue is that, if you are staying for a few more days, your hotel room will probably not be ready.  Don't be that angry tourist when that happens and be ready to store your suitcase/s and go for a walk/tour. Kindness will get you a room quicker than anything.  That's from actual experience.

5 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Last Sept when we got off there were a line of taxi's right there, no problem at all.  The only issue is that, if you are staying for a few more days, your hotel room will probably not be ready.  Don't be that angry tourist when that happens and be ready to store your suitcase/s and go for a walk/tour. Kindness will get you a room quicker than anything.  That's from actual experience.

Yes - we arranged with our hotel to drop our bags early and then we are off to a couple of sights we wanted to see but missed on or last time in Reykjavik, and then on a whale watching boat until we check in for real before dinner. Most hotels are very helpful like this in our experience.

On 5/2/2024 at 2:33 AM, CurlerRob said:

Yes that was my experience in September last year.

On 5/2/2024 at 2:33 AM, CurlerRob said:

Yup. August 2023 they used Harpa.