Viking Air Qx

mjmagee

I am considering a Viking Can/NE cruise this Oct.  I will be attending a family wedding in Vermont and can make my way to Montreal on my own.  If I accept the free Viking Air, can I choose to use only the return flight from Fort Lauderdale home to Tampa as I do not need the initial flight to Montreal?

Thx in advance.

Marilyn

Unless you have already bought the tickets for the wedding and if Viking will allow it (sometimes when air is free there are restrictions), use the cruise air to fly you to Montreal, rent a car to take you to Vermont and back (with plans to drop the car near the dock, not at the airport).

It is called a "deviation" and it will let you fly into Montreal up to 30 days prior to the start of your trip. There is a fee for the deviation and you lose transfers on any deviated leg of the journey.

Otherwise, you need to find out from Viking if they will let will let you book a one-way trip under the free airfare offer.

Booking a RT ticket won't work since once you don't show up in Tampa, the rest of your journey is cancelled.

• Like 1

I don’t know about your particular cruise but we had “free air” last year for Iceland & Norway Arctic Explorer. We had upgraded to PE and paid the surcharge. When we discovered there were no PE flights to Seattle from Reykjavik, we told Viking we would do our own air for the return. We were refunded half of the upgrade fee & just took the flight from Seattle to Bergen (via Amsterdam).

15 hours ago, mjmagee said:

I am considering a Viking Can/NE cruise this Oct.  I will be attending a family wedding in Vermont and can make my way to Montreal on my own.  If I accept the free Viking Air, can I choose to use only the return flight from Fort Lauderdale home to Tampa as I do not need the initial flight to Montreal?

Thx in advance.

Marilyn

Call Viking Air department and lay out your conundrum and see what they say. 

If they say no or don't have a great answer, don't commit to anything that they offer unless it meets your needs and what you overall want to accomplish.

This is when you call back and talk to someone else as not every Viking agent - air or reservations - is 100% in the know of what is possible.

In my mind, why would they not let you, but as @Peregrina651 says, it may not meet Viking's contract rates and obligations with the airlines.

If impossible to do, then you have no option but to decline the Viking Air and book and pay yourself.

I think however that they will find a way, you just have to find an agent that can do what you want. 

• Like 1

Viking will book a one way ticket.  We are on a cruise right now where we only needed one way airfare to Bangkok.  The ship is docking less than 100 miles from our home.  

We did not use Viking Air as their business class was considerably higher than what I was able to book our flight at ultimately, so I canceled the air on our itinerary.  However, when I booked this cruise, I mentioned we only needed one way fare and they complied.   

• Like 2

On 5/4/2024 at 3:14 AM, Mich3554 said:

Viking will book a one way ticket.  We are on a cruise right now where we only needed one way airfare to Bangkok.  The ship is docking less than 100 miles from our home.  

We did not use Viking Air as their business class was considerably higher than what I was able to book our flight at ultimately, so I canceled the air on our itinerary.  However, when I booked this cruise, I mentioned we only needed one way fare and they complied.   

we are doing a TA in December and were told we could not book one way air. We only need the flight to Barcelona pre-cruise, as we're basically sailing home to Florida. Weird that they let some do it and not all. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TinaLee said:

we are doing a TA in December and were told we could not book one way air. We only need the flight to Barcelona pre-cruise, as we're basically sailing home to Florida. Weird that they let some do it and not all. 

Call back and find someone who knows rhe system better.  If that doesn't work, email tellus@vikingcruises.com and explain your situation.  

Or, if it is cheaper, book your own one-way flight. 

Also, one way may not necessarily be half the price of a round trip, no matter how you book it.  

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TinaLee said:

Be interesting to see where they’ve booked your second leg flight to 😁

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, shipboy said:

Be interesting to see where they’ve booked your second leg flight to 😁

It would be from FLL to Orlando and I can drive it faster than flying it! We did our own air. 

Edited by TinaLee
  • Haha 1