Volendam procedure for a back to back cruise

First time on HAL. We are doing a back to back but would like to explore the disembarkation port. (Montreal). What are the procedures for checking out and then checking back in to next cruise? Will we have time to explore Montreal after this?

Its not a Volendam procedure, it is what the local authorities require. You will not have to "check in" or "check out". Are you in the same cabin both cruises? If you are, nothing will be required in relation to the status of your room or being on board. If not, you will work with your cabin stewards to transfer as quickly and easily as possible, and you will be issued new room keys, for your new room.

As to Immigration procedures, the most you will have to do is a joint procedure with anyone else in the same situation, (like you would at US ports) which may involve meeting Immigration officials somewhere, either on the ship, or ashore. However, as you have stopped at other Canadian ports, chances are good you will do nothing at all.

The best case scenario is you have to do nothing, you simply treat it as another port stop. This is common in most non-US ports.

In any case, you will receive detailed written instructions a couple days before you reach Montreal. You will have plenty of time to explore Montreal.

Thank you so much for the detailed information! We have never done a back to back in our 26 years of cruising, but the older we get, everything seems to be more complicated! Thanks for the speedy answer.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2024 at 3:58 PM, CruiserBruce said:

However, as you have stopped at other Canadian ports, chances are good you will do nothing at all.

The best case scenario is you have to do nothing, you simply treat it as another port stop. This is common in most non-US ports.

I have done B2B in Boston and in Fort Lauderdale with little complication, similar to what you can expect in Montreal. To me, the key is to recognize if you are already in the same nation while onboard. USA onboard at a USA port makes it simpler, like spend 20 minutes off the ship, remaining in a hallway just off the gangway. 
But in 2023 I did B2B in Vancouver. You are in USA while onboard and must clear Canada customs, then you are in unsecure zone of Canada Place. You go back thru security, US customs and are waiting just like all the new folks arriving to board. 

For Montreal you are “in Canada” while onboard, so expect a simpler procedure. Watch your instructions to see if you get a special card allowing you to proceed thru the crew lines in terminal.

51 minutes ago, Cruise4food said:

I have done B2B in Boston and in Fort Lauderdale with little complication, similar to what you can expect in Montreal. To me, the key is to recognize if you are already in the same nation while onboard. USA onboard at a USA port makes it simpler, like spend 20 minutes off the ship, remaining in a hallway just off the gangway. 
But in 2023 I did B2B in Vancouver. You are in USA while onboard and must clear Canada customs, then you are in unsecure zone of Canada Place. You go back thru security, US customs and are waiting just like all the new folks arriving to board. 

For Montreal you are “in Canada” while onboard, so expect a simpler procedure. Watch your instructions to see if you get a special card allowing you to proceed thru the crew lines in terminal.

No Customs in all those situations. Immigration, yes. Customs,  no.

We sailed Boston to Montreal last September.  We turned in a Canadian Customs form before our first Canadian port on day 5 of a 11 day cruise. When we got to Montreal,  we simply got off the ship. No Immigration procedures at all. That is why I said there might be any Immigration or Customs procedures at all.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mailmama said:

Thank you so much for the detailed information! We have never done a back to back in our 26 years of cruising, but the older we get, everything seems to be more complicated! Thanks for the speedy answer.

It does not get any simpler once you have already passed through immigration in a previous port.

When are you travelling?

3 hours ago, C 2 C said:

It does not get any simpler once you have already passed through immigration in a previous port.

When are you travelling?

May 25th-June1. Then June1-8. Just in a few weeks!